Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Standby Early on Reward Ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum

My search for info on this subject - both on FT and on the SAS website - only yielded fairly outdated results, so please indulge me! (Mods, please do merge me with another more appropriate thread if I've missed one!)

I'm flying YOW-YYZ-CPH-ARN on an Aeroplan Reward Ticket in the "highest" economy fare bucket, which seems to book into "X" on SAS. The other segments are upgraded to business class. I am *A Gold though I realize this may be totally irrelevant.

I will be in CPH in plenty of time for an earlier flight to ARN. May I approach the gate of the earlier flight to ask to standby? I appreciate there may be no official standby policy...but is my request likely to be successful?

Many thanks!

Last edited by politico_pk; Oct 3, 2023 at 7:44 am
Old Oct 3, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Likely - no.

Do you have checked baggage, then 300x no
Old Oct 3, 2023, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Likely - no.

Do you have checked baggage, then 300x no
I appreciate your response! I will not have checked baggage.

It's funny...Air Canada is generally pretty open to earlier standbys, but I totally understand that's not a relevant data point!
Old Oct 3, 2023, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'll say that unless there is an overbooking they need to clear, or expected irrops they want to be proactive about, not going to happen. And SK is not always great about being proactive about things.

There are airlines that are a lot more flexible, I have showed up semi early for a Qantas Sydney Melbourne flight, and the check in agent asked if he should put me on the earlier flight. SAS is just not one of the flexible airlines. I do miss my days of flying on an SK Corporate Travel Pass, you could just show up if there was a seat on the earlier or later flight. But the price tag was dramatic.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There is close to zero chance of you getting on the earlier flight. As soon as the agent realise that this in AC award agent will ask you to contact Aeroplan for rebooking. Standby for earlier flight is a US thing /not in Europe unless you have a flexible ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.