Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

2022 onward: SAS Offers & Promotions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 onward: SAS Offers & Promotions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2023, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Amexpat
Any guess if SAS will have a winter promotion giving a multiple on staus points and qualifying flights? Two winters ago it was 3X and last year it was 2X.
I’d say it’s highly likely that sometime by the end of October they would announce a 2X campaign to incentivise more travel during winter months, but ofc it may cover a shorter travel period than previous years.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Matin
I’d say it’s highly likely that sometime by the end of October they would announce a 2X campaign to incentivise more travel during winter months, but ofc it may cover a shorter travel period than previous years.
I think the incentives will be in extra points or in price if anything.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I think the incentives will be in extra points or in price if anything.
Well, that wouldn’t be financially feasible for SAS tho! 😅

I mean giving 2X qualifying flight/points wouldn’t cost SAS a dime, but any campaign for extra Extra points will be costly since those are redeemable.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Well, that wouldn’t be financially feasible for SAS tho! 😅

I mean giving 2X qualifying flight/points wouldn’t cost SAS a dime, but any campaign for extra Extra points will be costly since those are redeemable.
It is not free of charge to hand out status.... They'll have to pay for the lounge visits that comes with it.
dark_phoenix likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is not free of charge to hand out status.... They'll have to pay for the lounge visits that comes with it.
Very true!

Ofc assumption is that most if not all chasing those kind of campaigns are already having Gold/Diamond and trying to re-qualify rather than just starting from no status.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 5:19 am

Very true!

Ofc assumption is that most if not all chasing those kind of campaigns are already having Gold/Diamond and trying to re-qualify rather than just starting from no status.
Agreed, only know the odd non-regular status member that managed to get their hands on gold during the last campaign. It will probably hinder quite a lot of travelers that strive for gold but that are not willing to spend too much time/money. I would guess lounge costs for these are not insignificant, but all in all probably not that costly.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Any guess if SAS will have a winter promotion giving a multiple on staus points and qualifying flights? Two winters ago it was 3X and last year it was 2X.
I've associated these campaigns primarily with SAS 1) providing something extra for those who did not have any status that got extended from early 2020 but still travelled when many others didn't, and 2) making the post-covid transition out of status extensions a little easier. Those arguments aren't relevant the upcoming winter. But there could of course also be an additional reason 3) provide incentive to travel more during the low season. And with an increasing proportion of leisure travel, SAS seems to be facing increasing seasonality of demand. So I wouldn't rule out some sort of winter campaign involving points in 2023/24.

It was in fact two 4x campaigns, one in spring-early summer 2021, and then another one over the winter 2021/22. Basic points as usual, but an additional 3x status points on top of that. (And 4x on segments.) When they announced the second campaign, they didn't know that US would open up from Nov 2021, so you could bag an enormous amount of status points by flying transatlantic. And revenue tickets bought with money and upgraded with points were awarded points according to the upgraded class until Feb 2022. I flew ARN-CPH-LAX return in early January 2022, on a rather cheap Go revenue ticket that I successfully upgraded to business both ways using points bids. That gave me a grand total of 97496 points (one-quarter basic points and three-quarters status points) after the 25% EBD bonus had been factored in and made me requalify as EBD nine days into my membership year for a very modest cost! I don't expect that possibility to return anytime soon...
Amexpat and CPH-Flyer like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by Tomas E
I've associated these campaigns primarily with SAS 1) providing something extra for those who did not have any status that got extended from early 2020 but still travelled when many others didn't, and 2) making the post-covid transition out of status extensions a little easier. Those arguments aren't relevant the upcoming winter. But there could of course also be an additional reason 3) provide incentive to travel more during the low season. And with an increasing proportion of leisure travel, SAS seems to be facing increasing seasonality of demand. So I wouldn't rule out some sort of winter campaign involving points in 2023/24.
Also 4) acting as a proactive defence against a resurgent Norwegian and an entirely new competitor in Flyr. I don't doubt that Flyr's downfall was helped by SK having reasonably good loyalty from Norwegian customers. No matter how good Flyr might have been, it wasn't worth jumping out off the EuroBonus and Star Alliance loyalty train.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:33 am

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
Very true!

There is another option as well - the ability to buy base points to reach your next status level. Of course it depends on if you meet the threshold to do it (e.g. you have a minimum number of status points already relative to the level you are trying to reach). I just checked this morning and I could use the service to maintain my EBD status. I don't need it, but it is an option.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
There is another option as well - the ability to buy base points to reach your next status level. Of course it depends on if you meet the threshold to do it (e.g. you have a minimum number of status points already relative to the level you are trying to reach). I just checked this morning and I could use the service to maintain my EBD status. I don't need it, but it is an option.
The price of those Basic points are depending on your registered EB address tho! For Swedish addresses 1000 SEK=1000p which is tolerable if coming from Euros, considering weak SEK. But if for outside Scandinavians they’d charge 100 Euros per 1000p then it’s a hard sell IMO, unless only in need of a few thousands to re qualify.

Having Diamond for the past few years, the extra benefits over Gold are barely utilised(lounge on arrival). Only Free drinks in SAS Go are commonly used, and even for those they would be insignificant if you happen to find better Plus fares over Go for your itineraries.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:17 am

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
The price of those Basic points are depending on your registered EB address tho! For Swedish addresses 1000 SEK=1000p which is tolerable if coming from Euros, considering weak SEK. But if for outside Scandinavians they’d charge 100 Euros per 1000p then it’s a hard sell IMO, unless only in need of a few thousands to re qualify.

Having Diamond for the past few years, the extra benefits over Gold are barely utilised(lounge on arrival). Only Free drinks in SAS Go are commonly used, and even for those they would be insignificant if you happen to find better Plus fares over Go for your itineraries.
Don't disagree with you about the value. Just wanted to mention it as it might be an option for those not able to fly/spend their way to maintain their status before their qualification period ends.

Considering that SAS won't implement a Lifetime Diamond option, I decided that I wouldn't go out of my way to maintain Diamond anymore. Even onboard, getting consistent free beverages in Go without asking is difficult.

But these are my first world problems 🙃
Matin likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
There is a new F&F campaign released today. Just FYI and you can PM me.
criced and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: SK*Gold
Well I guess the move to ST rules out any 2x or 3x EB points promotions this fall or winter.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 8:56 am

Well I guess the move to ST rules out any 2x or 3x EB points promotions this fall or winter.
Too early to say maybe!

SAS is still in chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and AFKL commitments not yet in motion. Any possible promotions/campaigns should have been already planned ahead of recent developments.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:27 pm
BCC

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
Friends & Family

Hello All - If anybody knows if there will be a FF sale coming up, please PM me. I have few trips to book this spring and the FF sales are always great. Much appreciation for any help. / Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.