Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

EB earning on LH-ticketed but 4Y-operated flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL

Hello all. I think I know the answer this, but I wanted to check.

A possible work trip to the north of South Africa next year brought up a surprising itinerary featuring LH4298/LH4299, a Eurowings Discover flight from Frankfurt to Nelspruit (aka Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport). It's a less-than-weekly seasonal flight but it gets me much closer to where I want to be, so is quite tempting.

It's ticketed by Lufthansa but operated by Eurowings Discover... so, I guess no earning possibilities for EuroBonus?
Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:54 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Nope, I'm afraid not.

The thing to check if it is a LH flight which is just operated by 4Y or if LH just has a codeshare, which is much more likely in this case and sadly results in no miles earned.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The question will be whether the LH4298/9 is the native number or a codeshare number. Looking at the number range I would say native. It flies via Windhoek, and there are quite a lot of German connections to Namibia, so I would not be surprised if it is an actual Lufthansa flight, where the operation is outsourced to Eurowings.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:40 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The question will be whether the LH4298/9 is the native number or a codeshare number. Looking at the number range I would say native. It flies via Windhoek, and there are quite a lot of German connections to Namibia, so I would not be surprised if it is an actual Lufthansa flight, where the operation is outsourced to Eurowings.
To me, it looks like LH4298/9 is a codeshare, as the flight is also flown as 4Y142

Svantevit
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH 42xx flights are 4Y operated for mileage accrual and will not earn *A FFP / EB points. LH has a separarte arrangement with AC and UA for 4Y flights, they have elite recognition and earning options.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Thanks for the answers. Interesting to know that AC and UA are exceptions to the rule, but sadly no help for me this time.

The question is whether I'm prepared to drive 3-4 hours more each way just to benefit from the miles, lounge etc of a flight to/from JNB. Could be interesting, though, to experience one of the more obscure European widebody flights into a small airport.

(Namibia is, it bears repeating, a STUNNING destination for a holiday. Went there in 2019, with KLM via Luanda, then onwards with now-defunct Air Namibia to JNB. If you are reading this and you ever get the chance to go, don't let the lack of EB-earning stop you.)

Dunes at sunrise, on the road to Sossusvlei, sunrise (2019).
Nick Art likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:08 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Thanks for the answers. Interesting to know that AC and UA are exceptions to the rule, but sadly no help for me this time.

The question is whether I'm prepared to drive 3-4 hours more each way just to benefit from the miles, lounge etc of a flight to/from JNB. Could be interesting, though, to experience one of the more obscure European widebody flights into a small airport.

(Namibia is, it bears repeating, a STUNNING destination for a holiday. Went there in 2019, with KLM via Luanda, then onwards with now-defunct Air Namibia to JNB. If you are reading this and you ever get the chance to go, don't let the lack of EB-earning stop you.)

Dunes at sunrise, on the road to Sossusvlei, sunrise (2019).
The reason for the mileage earning for UA, AC LH and its subsidiaries fir 4V and WK is the transatlantic JV. At least afaik the agreement is based on this, as LH/LX codeshares on 4Y and WK are also covered by the JV.

RE: Namibia: This destination just moved up a few slots on my bucket list. Looks stunning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.