Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points earning calculation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Points earning calculation

On a UA flight in booking class C I see earnings of 150% with a minimum of 600 points. YUL-IAD is 485 miles as the crow flies (which usually seems to be rounded up to 500 by SK). A 150% of that should be 750 points or so, should it not? I've got 600 - which does not seem to match either a different (economy) booking class or the expected number. Granted it's only 150 points, but still - what gives?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:51 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
You get 150% of the distance, in your case with a distance of 489, which is usually rounded to the next higher 100s (which at least in my experience is always done for the distance based calculations), you would get 500 x 1.5, so you should have gotten 750 points imho...

Was your flight UA operated? Did you potentially upgrade?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick Art
You get 150% of the distance, in your case with a distance of 489, which is usually rounded to the next higher 100s (which at least in my experience is always done for the distance based calculations), you would get 500 x 1.5, so you should have gotten 750 points imho...

Was your flight UA operated? Did you potentially upgrade?
UA operated. I paid for an upgrade to C, so this was actually ticketed as such (and showing as C in the SK app, it does see this booking). Original booking class was Y, in which case it would have been 500 miles - so still does not compute.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tr3k
UA operated. I paid for an upgrade to C, so this was actually ticketed as such (and showing as C in the SK app, it does see this booking). Original booking class was Y, in which case it would have been 500 miles - so still does not compute.
I have a theory, it's kinda out there but bear with me: The system might have calculated the miles based on the original booking class before the upgrade, which would result in 500 miles, but when checking the minimum amount it might have checked your upgraded booking class, resulting in you getting the minimum miles for Business C.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:01 am
Original Poster

I have a theory, it's kinda out there but bear with me: The system might have calculated the miles based on the original booking class before the upgrade, which would result in 500 miles, but when checking the minimum amount it might have checked your upgraded booking class, resulting in you getting the minimum miles for Business C.
That sounds a bit too complicated for SK Think I'll email CS (but under the current circumstances not sure they will ever reply). There is no email support for Diamond members, is there?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That sounds a bit too complicated for SK Think I'll email CS (but under the current circumstances not sure they will ever reply). There is no email support for Diamond members, is there?
There is. But as a lowly gold member I only have the gold E-Mails saved. (Athough three different ones, one each for Denmark, Sweden and Norway). If you want I can PM you the Gold CS E-Mail. They usually reply within a few days and are usually very helpful.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:29 am
Original Poster

There is. But as a lowly gold member I only have the gold E-Mails saved. (Athough three different ones, one each for Denmark, Sweden and Norway). If you want I can PM you the Gold CS E-Mail. They usually reply within a few days and are usually very helpful.
Please do, would appreciate it. Where do these emails come from? TBH as a Diamond (for 5 years now) I feel very little love from SK.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: *G
How did you pay to upgrade your ticket? And are you completely sure SAS showed booking class, and not 'just' cabin class C? If this was an SK ticket (guessing since seen in the SK app) I highly doubt UA would perform that change for you.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
My guess is that the upgraded booking class was P or Z, which also earns 100%. So that would give 500. The C only refers to the cabin class, UA upgrades don't move in to C as booking class. Though I a long while ago, when I paid for upgrades on UA it kept the earning for the original booking classes. But I need to double check that.

The minimum is actually wrongly written I think. As the minimum is 300 miles at 100% for Y, and then the 600 goes back to when J was 200%. So should really be 300 and 450.

If I look at ANA the minimum Y is stated as 300 which is then 450 with 150% being minimum for premium classes at 150 it is definitely in line with how it's is calculated. However ANA has 25% earning classes, which would actually give you 75 points, and SK neglects to take this in to account.

Now, how they write should also be how they pay. It is clearly published, so they should cough up and fix the website.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: *G
SAS' 'minimum' used to be 600 as I remember it, so the minimum you could get with 150% would be 900. But I suppose it could've been a hidden change when they nerfed earning on SK metal
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:22 am

[email protected] (.se can be replaced with .dk or .no afaik, but I always use .se and works fine) They usually reply within a day or two.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:55 am

Just checked, last time I did an upgrade from economy (E) to Domestic First was ORD-SAT-ORD and 1.100 points for each leg which kind of matches a 100% earning for the 1041miles as per great circle mapper. Actually, the UA upgrade messed up the SK ticket and both legs ORD-SAT and SAT-ORD disappeared from my SK ticket and were reissued on a UA ticket with P. Had quite a lot of phone calls to make to make sure, it won't be a problem....

So, I guess for the OP, they also reissued in P which gives 100% with a minimum of 600 points. And there we are. Mystery solved.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

This was an Air Canada ticket, not SK. And it was reissued without any problems showing the new revenue class C (have a copy)

That said, if it was accounted for as the original (class Y), it should have been 100% of the distance which is 500 points, not 600.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
My guess is that the upgraded booking class was P or Z, which also earns 100%. So that would give 500. The C only refers to the cabin class, UA upgrades don't move in to C as booking class. Though I a long while ago, when I paid for upgrades on UA it kept the earning for the original booking classes. But I need to double check that.
In this case C is the actual booking class, as evidenced by the new ticket copy. Cabin class (as shown on the bp) is "J".

Originally Posted by fassy
[email protected] (.se can be replaced with .dk or .no afaik, but I always use .se and works fine) They usually reply within a day or two.
Thank you, will try. So far no response from the gold email, but may be the diamond will be the charm

Booking shown in the SK app

Air Canada shows the same on the new receipt.

Last edited by tr3k; Aug 8, 2022 at 4:09 pm
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:57 am

I'm pretty sure, the UA upgrades into P. That the SAS app shows the C as booking class is probably a fragment of the AC ticket in-between. I guess UA upgraded the legs to P, and did send AC the segment was upgraded into business class which maps to C on AC ticket stock by default if not specified otherwise. But for your milage earning, the UA booking class applies, not what AC or SK thinks it was. Then you did get the milage for P, 100% miles or 600 points minimum.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
I'm pretty sure, the UA upgrades into P. That the SAS app shows the C as booking class is probably a fragment of the AC ticket in-between. I guess UA upgraded the legs to P, and did send AC the segment was upgraded into business class which maps to C on AC ticket stock by default if not specified otherwise. But for your milage earning, the UA booking class applies, not what AC or SK thinks it was. Then you did get the milage for P, 100% miles or 600 points minimum.
Here is the ticket receipt from UA. Same C class. It was a "buy up", not an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.