Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Skatteverket asks for names of Sweden-based EBD members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skatteverket asks for names of Sweden-based EBD members

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Salacious gossip and other salacious stories is what the Swedish bureaucrats love at fika time and what the tabloid media loves all the time. A Swedish version of "catch & kill" to bury a story almost certainly wouldn't work with this kind of thing in Sweden.

By the way, you left out mister/male paramour. Also, there is some of that stuff going on during the work week too. [Look at what either Scandic or Nordic Choice hotels added as an occupancy restriction for day-room use of the hotel rooms as substitute offices during this period when they are trying to make up for the loss of overnight guest traffic revenue.]

Regardless of being XY or XX, there are definitely some Swedish celebrities of sort who mix business with pleasure and are almost certainly running up and down the frequent flyer program balances in doing so at times.

Whether accrual is banned or not, I know some Swedish government employees who say they don't credit their work trips to any loyalty programs because it could be problematic. I had asked about this back when I was still learning about SJ's program and wondering if the people going to the judge meetings and other government work conferences/meetings/investigations were collecting points for their domestic train trips.
I didn't quit leave out the potential combinations, it could also be taken to understand that a female minister brought the mistress on a weekend trip, or a male minister bringing the lover. Maybe I am just weird as I tend to think of a lover as being of male gender. Certainly any combinations of genders was meant to be included in the options.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I didn't quit leave out the potential combinations, it could also be taken to understand that a female minister brought the mistress on a weekend trip, or a male minister bringing the lover. Maybe I am just weird as I tend to think of a lover as being of male gender. Certainly any combinations of genders was meant to be included in the options.
Maybe there should be a betting site that takes wagers on which senior female employees of the Swedish government brought along their male paramours using points acquired from government-paid trips. Of course it would be pursued in the interest of making sure it's an equal opportunity hunt by Skatteverket and the media, right?

Is the Swedish king EBD? Some years back it seemed like much of his family had SK*G status in one form or another, whether it was earned from flying or as part of a brown-nosing effort by SAS. I look forward to seeing how Skatteverket tries to tax rewards as imputed income for his relatives too. It should be interesting to see what kind of snags they hit while trying to place a concrete value on the miles/points earned from whatever constitutes "work".

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 14, 2020 at 5:00 am
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Anyway... even in Germany they found a practical solution which was that LH just pays a flat tax on mile earned to the tax authority.
That would be the easiest solution, but does it actually work? I assume that German programmes such as Miles & More and Bahn Bonus pay tax, but what if someone credits a flight to a foreign programme? The obvious case would be when not flying on a Lufthansa partner airline (like AF or AY), but there are probably some people who prefer Eurobonus for Star Alliance flights.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Are government employees in Sweden allowed to accrue points on their work paid trips? They are not allowed to accrue in Denmark, though I think a lot do anyway.
I think the points could count as a bribe if you hold certain important positions.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 6:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Im a new user
I think the points could count as a bribe if you hold certain important positions.
It would take a whole lot of points -- and/or being a very ignorant fool -- to bribe or be bribed that way. And when the airline is giving all customers the same number of points on the very same basis that is publicly available to all flying? Then it's harder to have it considered as an unlawful bribe in a criminal case here and elsewhere -- especially when there is no evidence of there being any sort of facially unprincipled quid pro quo arrangement involved in the retail commercial transaction that remains available to all.

There is bribing that has gone on with people in important positions in Sweden, but it's way bigger -- and way bigger material value -- than what an airline gives via published charts to its FFP customers. Immovable property sales and art and antique sales are a richer goldmine for hunting down corruption in Sweden than going after airline program miles earned from flying.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 14, 2020 at 6:51 am
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:33 am

That would be the easiest solution, but does it actually work? I assume that German programmes such as Miles & More and Bahn Bonus pay tax, but what if someone credits a flight to a foreign programme? The obvious case would be when not flying on a Lufthansa partner airline (like AF or AY), but there are probably some people who prefer Eurobonus for Star Alliance flights.
I meant LH pays for miles credited to Miles&More. LH will not pay tax for miles awarded to foreign programs.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:46 am
Suspended

I meant LH pays for miles credited to Miles&More.
I recall reading something about that indeed, but is that only for LH miles credited -- at LH's expense -- to LH accounts registered in Germany?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:56 am

I recall reading something about that indeed, but is that only for LH miles credited -- at LH's expense -- to LH accounts registered in Germany?
Yes, true. The Finanzamt won't care about people not living in Germany.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:11 am
Suspended

What do LH and Finanzamt do about LH program members who live in Germany but have their LH account address still on file in the US and actively credit LH flights to such LH accounts with a registered address in the US?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 1:10 pm

What do LH and Finanzamt do about LH program members who live in Germany but have their LH account address still on file in the US and actively credit LH flights to such LH accounts with a registered address in the US?
I suppose LH won’t pay the taxes for those miles. And if ever investigated by the Finanzamt the „cheat“ could be found guilty of tax evasion. But I don’t think they would even seriously look at loyalty programs... not even in Germany where everything goes by „ze rule“
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:03 pm

But does the Finanzamt care about people who live in Germany but credit to Eurobonus or to Flying Blue or to Aeroflot Bonus or whatever? Do those other programmes also pay German taxes?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 7:26 pm
Suspended

But does the Finanzamt care about people who live in Germany but credit to Eurobonus or to Flying Blue or to Aeroflot Bonus or whatever? Do those other programmes also pay German taxes?
I don’t recall hearing about any US program entering into a LH-style deal with Finanzamt over mileage credits for flights. And between the US military and other US government presence in Germany and all the other Americans who get 1-5 year private sector rotations in Germany, I’m sure there are a lot of American frequent flyer program account members who’ve been living in Germany and earning US program miles for work-related flights. It seems to me that Finanzamt went after the biggest fish that wouldn’t immediately set off bigger international ripples while at it.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:44 pm

But does the Finanzamt care about people who live in Germany but credit to Eurobonus or to Flying Blue or to Aeroflot Bonus or whatever?
Sure they care, but hard to catch. So... nothing is happing. Like in Sweden for a long time. SKV also cared and there is quite defined language in the law. Just hard to enforce...

Do those other programmes also pay German taxes?
Don’t think so. There might one or the other agreement but I wouldn’t think that a lot of non-German programs work with the German tax authorities.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Somewhat irritating that the tax authorities want to milk business travelers using points privately. How about taxing grocery store clerks who don't have to spend large amounts of their time away from the family? Tax us for our trips, and them for their family time.

I remember one year where I spent three nights at home in a five week period. How much is that worth in deductibles?

Sounds fair to me.
romans likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by JR67
Somewhat irritating that the tax authorities want to milk business travelers using points privately. How about taxing grocery store clerks who don't have to spend large amounts of their time away from the family? Tax us for our trips, and them for their family time.

I remember one year where I spent three nights at home in a five week period. How much is that worth in deductibles?

Sounds fair to me.
You are not forced to take a job that is away from home for 300 days a year like the guy I know who works at Tetra Pak. Mr turns down jobs that requires corporate travel more than 60 days a year because he values his time with us more than the miles/points. You are taxed on the income you earn - as long as they have value. I don't know much about Swedish income tax as Mr. is paying the Danish ones. He has to pay tax on the free internet and telephony his employer gives to him (there's a value set by SKAT) and his Christmas present each year is less than 500 DKK (the value that you won't be taxed on). So, if someone flies 300 days a year in C which gives him tons of miles which is rather significant, shouldn't he be taxed on that as he didn't actually pay for the ticket himself?
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by JR67

Sounds fair to me.
Well, to be fair... people who travel on business extensively arguably earn more money on the job than the average store clerk. I can only say, I'm decently compensated for my work and probably would earn much less if I would do a 40hrs/week desk job. Also, I can see, that collecting points is a big benefit other people do not have. Flying F and staying in high end hotels all for free? Of course that is benefit. And something e.g. my colleagues in the back office doing all the work on getting orders fulfilled won't ever have the option to get. But like you said, they are at home a night and they have rarely the problem of having so much work that they virtually work around the clock - with short sleep breaks...

The question is, as long as a fair value cannot be determined for points/miles I find it unfair to tax the benefit. Since I never know how much I would be taxed. Assuming they will tell me I have to to tax every mile as 1 SEK in benefit, I would say "Thanks, but I won't credit any miles" and negotiate a higher renumeration instead. If it would be 1 SEK for 1000 miles, I would probably say: "Here have the tax money".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.