Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Skatteverket asks for names of Sweden-based EBD members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skatteverket asks for names of Sweden-based EBD members

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What happens if the employer has gone under and there is no one in a position of responsibility to make good on behalf of a wiped-out employer? Can a former employee get deported from the country because of the employer's underpayment of "social taxes" on the accumulated points used for travel after the employer is history?
Have people been deported because the employer didn't pay the arbetsgivaravgift? I thought that all of the deportations was because the employer and the employee had misunderstood something so that the employee had got 100 kr (or something) too little in salary.

If you use points personally which you have acquired through business travel, then you should inform your employer about this shortly after using the points so that the employer can pay the correct arbetsgivaravgift. If your employer has been wiped out, then I'd imagine that sending a letter to the employer's bankruptcy administrator should be enough, even if years have passed since the employer was wiped out. What the bankruptcy administrator does with the letter does not matter to you.
nacho likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Have people been deported because the employer didn't pay the arbetsgivaravgift? I thought that all of the deportations was because the employer and the employee had misunderstood something so that the employee had got 100 kr (or something) too little in salary.

If you use points personally which you have acquired through business travel, then you should inform your employer about this shortly after using the points so that the employer can pay the correct arbetsgivaravgift. If your employer has been wiped out, then I'd imagine that sending a letter to the employer's bankruptcy administrator should be enough, even if years have passed since the employer was wiped out. What the bankruptcy administrator does with the letter does not matter to you.
I've lost track of all the employment-related things used by the government to push people out of Sweden. I know that some of the administrative judges are frequently frustrated with Migrationsverket; but none of them have told me that anyone has been sent packing due to issues with frequent flyer programs. Some of them are amazed that US Government-paid travel allows for collecting and redeeming miles/points from government-paid travel without Swedish kind of issues.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
"Miles/points are not the property of XYZ" (or "remain the property of ABC Company") type language with loyalty programs basically neuters the notion of miles/points accumulation being a form of collecting interest and counted as interest income when not given on the basis of deposited currency in an account. That and rebates on personal expenditures using personal funds are not income. Does Skatteverket go hunting down people who use those ICA and Coop rebates given after spending X amount of personal money on personal groceries? Does it go hunting down people who get a free packet of saffron offer on a Willys+ account because of X amount of personal grocery spending activity? Of course not -- those are rebates/discounts; not income.
I'm thinking of situations like topping up a Revolut card where the money essentially is transferred from one account to another account and the money belongs to the same person both before and after the transaction, but the person also earns some frequent flyer points on the transaction. I suspect that such points might count as 'interest' which might then be subject to interest taxation based on the value when the points eventually are used.
nacho likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Im a new user
I'm thinking of situations like topping up a Revolut card where the money essentially is transferred from one account to another account and the money belongs to the same person both before and after the transaction, but the person also earns some frequent flyer points on the transaction. I suspect that such points might count as 'interest' which might then be subject to interest taxation based on the value when the points eventually are used.

Interest is an amount paid to the lender for the use of borrowing money from the lender. Is Revolut borrowing money from FFP members and using said borrowed amounts (i.e., amounts borrowed from the FFP member) to calculate the number of airline miles/points to be given to the SK FFP member's account and thereafter making sure that the calculated interest payment is delivered to the lender (whether or not it is in the form of fiat currency or anything else)?

How are "miles/points accumulation .... a form of collecting interest and counted as interest income when [the miles/points are] not given on the basis of deposited currency in an account", especially if the airline/FFP company claims in its terms and conditions that the miles/points remain the property of the airline/FFP (and/or that the accumulated miles/points in the FFP member account has no redeemable financial value)?

Skatteverket says that interest is "income from debt claims of every kind, whether or not secured by mortgage and whether or not carrying a right to participate in the debtor’s profits, and in particular, income from government securities and income from bonds or debentures, including premiums and prizes attaching to such securities, bonds or debentures." In light of Skatteverket's accepted definition of "interest", how does the use of Revolut in the manner you suggest above always give rise to Revolut paying interest out to Revolut retail customers in the form of miles/points?
nacho likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 29, 2021 at 4:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.