Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS closes CPH-HKG

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by studentCPH
ZRH has also had some of the worst security staff I've encountered. One decided to take an open backpack, turn it upside down and shake it so everything fell out, for no reason...
Really? You must have been VERY unlucky. I'm going through ZRH like 2 to 3 times/month for the last few years and never had any bad experience.
GUWonder and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by SKRan
-- I'd say CPH, MUC, ZRH, ARN
I would agree except ARN. Their separation of the terminals is unbelievable. T5 and T4 should be connected. I have run between them since I knew I could do the transfer faster than the bus in a worst case scenario and had 26 minutes for my HKG-ARN and my ARN-MMX. What is the point? Schengen-non-Schengen is one thing. This is ridiculous.I made it, but an additional security check made it very stressful....
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JR67
I would agree except ARN. Their separation of the terminals is unbelievable. T5 and T4 should be connected. I have run between them since I knew I could do the transfer faster than the bus in a worst case scenario and had 26 minutes for my HKG-ARN and my ARN-MMX. What is the point? Schengen-non-Schengen is one thing. This is ridiculous.I made it, but an additional security check made it very stressful....
Swedish Customs is responsible for ARN being much less convenient than ARN would otherwise be for me.

Tullverket is the reason the airside transit bus doesn’t work to get to the domestic-only terminal at ARN.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The poor planning of Arlanda and incremental expansion without a long term vision, like everything in Sweden, seems to be getting in the way more than Tullverket. The continued operation of unnecessary terminals because of turboprop flights and other abysmal airline offerings primarily stands in the way of ARN just being 1 terminal. Being SK centric and limited Schengen-to-Schengen flight connections between different airlines has just allowed the airport's operations to recycle outdated infrastructure that has been long overdue for replacement.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:21 am
Suspended

When the airport owner/operator feels like there isn’t much competition in its face, then investing a lot of capital quickly in slow/low-return, expensive capital investment project seems like a sub-optimal use of capital. ARN is poorly positioned as a long-haul hub or even cross-European hub airport at this point. It isn't worth much more investment at this point in time beyond patchwork investments at this point and those investments required to avoid becoming infamously outdated in cosmetic ways.

Given the current situation with reduced air travel demand, what would be the point of a major, decade/decades-long, super expensive construction project to completely redesign the airport? Maybe as a make-work project as a form of fiscal stimulus?
Old May 7, 2020, 7:29 am

HEL has positioned itself as a gateway to Asia. ARN has positioned itself as a gateway to.... Luleå?
Old May 7, 2020, 7:42 am
Suspended

HEL has positioned itself as a gateway to Asia. ARN has positioned itself as a gateway to.... Luleå?
It’s too late for ARN to be HEL.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It’s too late for ARN to be HEL.
ARN is hell. (sorry... couldn't resist)
GUWonder and the810 like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:50 am

I fell, part of it is just Swedish mentality. "it works", people get from A to B. That's fine. No need to change. All good.

There is just not a culture here in Sweden to improve things which are not perceived to be broken. And we can argue if the threshold of "something is broken" is very high here. In my opinion, and I just can't shake of my German-ness, Swedes are just incredible pain-tolerant and accepting the lowest levels of service and smilingly paying absurd amounts of money for it which in turn will help zilch in improving things since there is just no motivation to do so. And this is, my problem #1 with living in Sweden, which besides that I very much enjoy.
GUWonder, oliver2002, JR67 and 2 others like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fassy
I fell, part of it is just Swedish mentality. "it works", people get from A to B. That's fine. No need to change. All good.

There is just not a culture here in Sweden to improve things which are not perceived to be broken. And we can argue if the threshold of "something is broken" is very high here. In my opinion, and I just can't shake of my German-ness, Swedes are just incredible pain-tolerant and accepting the lowest levels of service and smilingly paying absurd amounts of money for it which in turn will help zilch in improving things since there is just no motivation to do so. And this is, my problem #1 with living in Sweden, which besides that I very much enjoy.
You made my day!
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you look at the rendering on this page: https://www.swedavia.com/future-airp...landa-airport/

It seems another pier is coming up in the north west of the T5F pier. One more patchwork terminal/pier...
Old May 7, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you look at the rendering on this page: https://www.swedavia.com/future-airp...landa-airport/

It seems another pier is coming up in the north west of the T5F pier. One more patchwork terminal/pier...
I guess they stil have time to postpone the investment, then again having constructing running during a down turn in traffic may be easier to handle.

https://www.swedavia.com/future-airp...port/new-pier/

That promises for decent exercise options of getting around just within T5.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:18 pm

ARN is hell. (sorry... couldn't resist)
Nope, TRD is Hell (sorry, had to)

https://www.google.com/maps/@63.4500...9034019,15.25z
CPH-Flyer and JR67 like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002

They made the decision a few years ago to build a new G pier. This was at the time when long-haul was growing tremendously, with both SAS and Norwegian adding lots of flights, plus other airlines, and not enough widebody gates were available. They also signed a preclearance agreement with the USA, hoping that this would attract additional transfer passengers. Under those circumstances, building a new widebody pier made a lot of sense, and transfers within T5 would become far more convenient.

I personally believe that air traffic will collapse in the aftermath of covid-19, so I don't think that they will ever finish the G pier.
Old May 8, 2020, 3:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by RedChili
They also signed a preclearance agreement with the USA, hoping that this would attract additional transfer passengers. Under those circumstances, building a new widebody pier made a lot of sense, and transfers within T5 would become far more convenient.
I personally believe that air traffic will collapse in the aftermath of covid-19, so I don't think that they will ever finish the G pier.
Moving the entire MRO facilities from there for a new pier will be a huge cost. Not happening. The US preclearance project was mothballed last year:

Swedavia has worked for a number of years with preparations to enable the introduction of US Preclearance at Stockholm Arlanda Airport. In November 2016, Sweden and the US signed a bilateral agreement on this matter. In order to proceed with the introduction of US Preclearance at Stockholm Arlanda Airport, both legal and financial conditions are required – that is, a decision by the Swedish parliament and a sustainable financial solution for the investment in the facility and for the operation of this service.

In the past year, the financial conditions have deteriorated, which means that there is at present no sustainable financial solution that will enable the project to continue. The change in financial conditions is largely due to the introduction of a national aviation tax in Sweden, increased investment costs for the facility and a change in financial conditions for the additional security screening associated with US Preclearance. All in all, as a result of these changes, the per passenger cost for using this service will most likely be too high relative to the expected willingness to pay, so there is consequently no sustainable financial solution. Because of this, it is not possible to say at the moment when or whether US Preclearance can be introduced at Stockholm Arlanda Airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.