Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denmark closes its borders

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Danish public isn’t the only audience for these border restriction announcements. The idea is to also send a signal abroad that action is being taken and that further intake of the virus from abroad is being addressed and to reduce international movements and related outbreaks.
Still. Over 90% of the known cases in DK is from people partying at night clubs and afterski bars. The border closing would not have prevented them and they could easily have been prevented by closing the nightclubs and afterski bars, with a lot less impact than the border closing.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:54 am

Just had a quick look at cph.dk. I looks like all planes arriving except the DK domestic flights are docking at the international gates. The A and B piers are only used by the DK domestic flights. The F pier seems to be closed completely. Both ryanair and easy jet are docking at pier C, D1xx and E1xx too.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Mar 16, 2020 at 8:10 am
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Just had a quick look at cph.dk. I looks like all planes arriving except the domestic flights are docking at the international gates. The A and B piers are only used by the DK domestic flights. The F pier seems to be closed completely. Both ryanair and easy jet are docking at pier C, D1xx and E1xx too.
By ‘international’ I guess you mean non-Schengen, which makes perfect sense as the only solution in CPH if the government wants to impose 100% border control for all non-domestic travellers.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
By ‘international’ I guess you mean non-Schengen,
Correct. Work habit. Schengen is considered Domestic when booking travel in the company where I work.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The official numbers of new cases in DK has been going down for a couple of days now, and when you look at the numbers you need 3-4 days before you see the effect of what ever preventive action was put in place. The border closure is therefore not visible in the numbers until tomorrow or Wednesday.

In DK 90% of the know cases can be traced back to DK citizens returning from a ski trip in Austria or Italy. None of the preventive actions taken so far will have prevented those cases. A large amount of the cases in other countries can be related to ski trips or similar too. What would really had helped was closing the nightclubs and afterski parties. Closing the borders only damage the economy and makes it harder to bounce back from the pandemic/panic.
​​​​​​
That initial drop was mainly caused by Denmark changing testing strategy, testing fewer people, and only those with severe symptoms. So that drop is only in diagnosed cases.

According to Statens Serum Institut.
Fra slutningen af februar til den 11. marts testede man primært personer med både milde og mere alvorlige luftvejssymptomer, der rejste til Danmark fra lande med høj smittespredning. Dette skete som led i inddæmningsfasen. Fra den 12. marts er man som led i afbødningsstrategien overgået til at teste folk med indlæggelseskrævende symptomer. Antallet af bekræftede tilfælde i rapporten kan således ikke direkte sammenlignes i perioden før og efter den 12. marts.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 16, 2020 at 4:26 pm
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
​​​​​​
That initial drop was mainly caused by Denmark changing testing strategy, testing fewer people, and only those with severe symptoms. So that drop is only in diagnosed cases.

According to Statens Serum Institut.
Fra slutningen af februar til den 11. marts testede man primært personer med både milde og mere alvorlige luftvejssymptomer, der rejste til Danmark fra lande med høj smittespredning. Dette skete som led i inddæmningsfasen. Fra den 12. marts er man som led i afbødningsstrategien overgået til at teste folk med indlæggelseskrævende symptomer. Antallet af bekræftede tilfælde i rapporten kan således ikke direkte sammenlignes i perioden før og efter den 12. marts.
Despite for today, the numbers have kept going down, so it's not only the different test method, which is the cause for the lower number.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Despite for today, the numbers have kept going down, so it's not only the different test method, which is the cause for the lower number.
I don't think I said only anywhere.

But an uptick in new cases now is much worse, as that would indicate a growth in severe cases that warrants testing under the new approach. So let's cross our fingers that today was a one off.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CPH has over 23,000 people who work there part time or full time, with about 1500 of those c 23,000 working for the airport and the rest working for other employers at the airport. While the airport is temporarily laying off only around half of its c 1500 employees, the other employers at the airport are probably going to drastically reduce staffing too beyond what they have already done.

How much of the employment disruption is due to the border shutdown and how much to the decline in travel demand generally at this time is an impossible thing to separate, but this just goes to show how many people are going to see their employment and income situation disrupted by what is going on with just CPH airport.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
That's the problem. The Danish PM would say that the number has gone down since they closed the border (even though it's not true).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:30 am

But an uptick in new cases now is much worse, as that would indicate a growth in severe cases that warrants testing under the new approach. So let's cross our fingers that today was a one off.
The daily growth have been increasing for the last couple of day now unfortunately. It's still to early to say whether it's due to serious cases which would have been caught earlier with the old testing approach. If this is the case, we should see a drop again tomorrow or they day after. Right now I wish I were in Japan.

Originally Posted by nacho
That's the problem. The Danish PM would say that the number has gone down since they closed the border (even though it's not true).
And now that it looks like the numbers are increasing she will claim they would have increased even more if she hasn't closed the borders. In that area she is no better than the yellow baby in the white house.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The daily growth have been increasing for the last couple of day now unfortunately. It's still to early to say whether it's due to serious cases which would have been caught earlier with the old testing approach. If this is the case, we should see a drop again tomorrow or they day after. Right now I wish I were in Japan.

And now that it looks like the numbers are increasing she will claim they would have increased even more if she hasn't closed the borders. In that area she is no better than the yellow baby in the white house.
​​​​​​We certainly have less chaos than Denmark at the moment, and hotels have excellent availability at good prices. So you should be mostly welcome over here.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
​​​​​​We certainly have less chaos than Denmark at the moment, and hotels have excellent availability at good prices. So you should be mostly welcome over here.
How's the situation in Japan? I saw some videos showing a restaurant in Kyoto letting kids to study there there and serve them food.

Don't we need to do self quarantine for 14 days if we go to Japan? Can we even go now?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:13 am

Don't we need to do self quarantine for 14 days if we go to Japan? Can we even go now?
It depends on your nationality and which countries you have visited 14 days prior to arriving in Japan. If you are Danish and has been in DK the last 14 days before arriving in Japan there are no restrictions from Japan. The Danish government on the other hand has put the whole world on travel advice orange, which means do go unless you really have to. It also means that all normal travel insurances are voided, so you will be on your own if your return flight is canceled, you get ill etc. etc. etc. On your return to DK, you are advised to do 14 days of self imposed quarantine, but it's not a requirement.
nacho and CPH-Flyer like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How's the situation in Japan? I saw some videos showing a restaurant in Kyoto letting kids to study there there and serve them food.

At the moment, people are being encouraged to work from home, which actually happens to a degree I'd never had thought possible. Normally facetime in the office is vital in Japanese thinking. Being in the office the key measurement for productivity.
If you are going to work, try to shift the commute out of the peak hours, which also seems to happen. By Tokyo standards, the usual peak hour morning trains are far less busy. By Copenhagen standards they are packed to the rafters.
Schools are closed, people are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible. There are very few visitors. So all in all it is very quiet here.
The problem really is that Japanese sized homes are not meant for the whole family to work/study from there at the same time.
Stores look reasonably normal, I think the only things that are tricky to come by right now are hand sanitiser and masks. Though unlike Denmark, we don't need armed guards at hospitals to prevent them from being stolen. Shops don't bolt the hand sanitisers down. We do understand how to use them and leave them for the next user.

You could enter coming from Denmark or Sweden at the moment. Our restrictions are only Korea (certain parts), China, Iran, Italy as far as I know. I expect some more European countries being added soon though. Abe will not ban the US though, he is too worried about being buddy buddy with Trump. But it is not entry bans by the way, just quarantine requirements.
Fims and highupinthesky like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:27 am

You could enter coming from Denmark or Sweden at the moment. Our restrictions are only Korea (certain parts), China, Iran, Italy as far as I know. I expect some more European countries being added soon though. Abe will not ban the US though, he is too worried about being buddy buddy with Trump. But it is not entry bans by the way, just quarantine requirements.
I got my info from this site https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/, and some EU countries were added yesterday, with travel ban being effective from today. DK and SE still not on the list

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.