Denmark closes its borders

Old Mar 13, 20, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Denmark closes its borders

So as of tomorrow, Denmark is closing its borders to non-Danish (including Swedish) citizens: https://www.thelocal.com/20200313/breaking-denmark

Quite an interesting move when you're hosting the main airport hub for Southern Sweden. SAS is reporting this on its website, but they are no able to provide any information whatsoever about what they will be do for affected passengers:

"The Danish Government has chosen to temporarily close all borders for foreign citizens and for all travelers with a non-credible purpose. This will take effect ‪from Saturday 14th March‬ from 12 PM. Danish citizens will still be able to enter Denmark.

The global corona pandemic is already having a substantial effect on our activities in SAS. SAS acknowledges, that this is a global societal problem, which takes extraordinary measures to solve. We are currently reviewing how this affects our operation and we are in a continued dialogue with all relevant authorities on how to handle this and related issues"
Old Mar 13, 20, 10:25 pm

Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
I guess that if transit is still allowed they will have to set up additional border control points for the A and B gates (with some system to move passengers to connecting flights without passing through immigration.

But yes, this certainly impacts those living in Sweden - but I guess could also be managed by ensuring that the train from Sweden terminates at the airport and is emptied with a direct route into the airport ... All very complicated though ..!
Old Mar 13, 20, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
It’s not many who are allowed into Denmark and also back into the US, and yet SAS is keeping several non-stop routes going.
Old Mar 14, 20, 2:33 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
It’s not many who are allowed into Denmark and also back into the US, and yet SAS is keeping several non-stop routes going.
Several?? Before this panic, they had around 10-16 daily long haul flights. Within a week they will be down to 4 routes which all will operated at reduced schedule. I just saw that CPH-NRT/HND will be reduced to 2-4 weekly rotations from today.

I can only praise SK for keeping some flights going despite the current panic. There are still people who needs to travel, and there are still cargo to transport.
Old Mar 14, 20, 4:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am thankful for whatever TATL capacity SAS can maintain. I am amongst those who will continue to be allowed to go back and forth between CPH/MMX and the US at least for the next few days — not that I will be using it if I don’t need to do so.
highupinthesky likes this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I am thankful for whatever TATL capacity SAS can maintain. I am amongst those who will continue to be allowed to go back and forth between CPH/MMX and the US at least for the next few days ó not that I will be using it if I donít need to do so.
Just wait. Our prime minister will find a way to ground you too.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 4:58 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
I have a feeling (no knowledge or competence) that this closing the borders at this point is mostly a symbolic move. Most people who do not need to travel, are already not traveling for a week or so. What would help is closing the streets. I am afraid the government is preparing us for this in small steps. Closing the borders is a signal, "listen folks, this is serious", so that we do not rage when more happens.

PS. Welcome to the forum of folks that used to fly
GUWonder, MisterTanaka and nacho like this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
I have a feeling (no knowledge or competence) that this closing the borders at this point is mostly a symbolic move. Most people who do not need to travel, are already not traveling for a week or so. What would help is closing the streets. I am afraid the government is preparing us for this in small steps. Closing the borders is a signal, "listen folks, this is serious", so that we do not rage when more happens.

To me it looks more like a signal to trump. Polen, Norway, Czech and a couple of other Schengen countries have done the same, and some of them have far less infected people than DK. Closing the streets with <1000 infected people in the country is IMHO WAY over kill, but then again I see the closing of the border as over reaction too.

The advice not to travel starts to make sense now that they have changed the reason to risk of other countries closing down like DK. When I heard the advice first time, the reason were to reduce the risk of someone bringing the virus into DK, which is hilarious since DK has been close to the top 10 of most infected people for a while and is close to top 5 if you look at cases per 1M citizens.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 5:45 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
Just wait. Our prime minister will find a way to ground you too.
I'm also wondering what is going to be the next step. A lot of "expats" in Sweden are wondering if they can go to DK to catch their flights. A lot of them don't want to believe what they read from the rules (you can fly into CPH and then head back to Sweden but not vice versa).

To me it looks more like a signal to trump. Polen, Norway, Czech and a couple of other Schengen countries have done the same, and some of them have far less infected people than DK. Closing the streets with <1000 infected people in the country is IMHO WAY over kill, but then again I see the closing of the border as over reaction too.

The advice not to travel starts to make sense now that they have changed the reason to risk of other countries closing down like DK. When I heard the advice first time, the reason were to reduce the risk of someone bringing the virus into DK, which is hilarious since DK has been close to the top 10 of most infected people for a while and is close to top 5 if you look at cases per 1M citizens.
Totally agree.

Schengen is dead.
Old Mar 14, 20, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I'm also wondering what is going to be the next step. A lot of "expats" in Sweden are wondering if they can go to DK to catch their flights. A lot of them don't want to believe what they read from the rules (you can fly into CPH and then head back to Sweden but not vice versa).
They can't go to CPH to catch an outbound flight. It's clearly stated on the SK info page and on other DK sites. They can arrive on an inbound flight and travel to SE on ground. It doesn't make sense to me either.
Old Mar 14, 20, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
They can't go to CPH to catch an outbound flight. It's clearly stated on the SK info page and on other DK sites. They can arrive on an inbound flight and travel to SE on ground. It doesn't make sense to me either.
You'd think that SAS might have added some information about what options all these people have (refund, rebooking via ARN, etc).
Old Mar 14, 20, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
You'd think that SAS might have added some information about what options all these people have (refund, rebooking via ARN, etc).
They have. It's all on this page https://www.sas.dk/traffic-information/message/ It's been updated multiple times every day since day one of the panic. If you go to the SAS web page, the link to the site is at the top of the page with exclamation marks and everything.
If you try to manage your booking through the SK web page you will be spammed with information about your options.

IMHO SK is doing a REALLY GOOD job at keeping their PAX's informed. Specially when you look at the number of PAX impacted and how fast the situation changes.
Old Mar 14, 20, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by nacho View Post

Totally agree.

Schengen is dead.
Is Italy dead, and did China die because of border controls internally? Schengen is on a respirator, but it will recover in enough parts to be just as alive.

Schengen was built to allow for public health related shutdowns, but governments being governments and voters being voters, having plans and ready systems for shutdowns for such reasons wasn’t a highly-funded priority.
RoyalSwazi, SK2751, JR67 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post

Closing the Danish borders are mostly symbolic. If you look at most of the cases in Denmark, they originated from Danish citizens returning from skiing trips to Italy and Ischgl in Austria. They would be admitted in to the country even now.

Politicians' logic

Old Mar 14, 20, 7:11 am

Denmark — like the group of civilized countries of which it purports to be a member — has a legal requirement to allow its own citizens to return to their own country of citizenship and not deny them entry at border crossings. I would not pin this (right to return) aspect of the controls on “politicians ‘s logic” but on human decency, the lessons of history in what can be a brutal, dehumanizing world, and the rule of law.
SK2751 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: