Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Now you can get vouchers instead of rebooking.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now you can get vouchers instead of rebooking.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As you did not book directly with SK, it is indeed the OTA that has to deal with the cancellation and the refunds. They don't pawn you off on the OTA, the OTA is failing their customer service responsibility. That is part of what you pay your travel agent for.
I realize that - but they are nt responding. I guess we'll see what happens with the chargeback...
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I realize that - but they are nt responding. I guess we'll see what happens with the chargeback...
A friend in the had a similar issue with an AA flight, in the end he took the voucher that AA was willing to offer rather than the fight with the OTA. I do wonder if the many negative experiences that people have with OTAs will impact the OTA business going forward?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, SWA Free Companion Award Winner, UA
Yea - that's certainly anther option. I'm confident we'll recover our money. It's just a question of how much effort will be required.
Yes, yes you will receive your refund. It will take some effort, but well worth it.
Every person who gets their money back is playing a small part in equalizing the relationship between the passengers (us) and the airlines (them), and fixing a small injustice in the world. There is absolutely no reason why you can't get your money back - or shouldn't . No. Reason. Whatsoever.

I've gotten a few hateful comments for encouraging people to exercise their consumer rights . But I don't care. If someone's not upset with me, then I'm not doing my job well enough.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: More than one
SK is legally not allowed to refund you directly when you buy the ticket through a TA/OTA. It has to go through the TA/OTA. SK offering you a voucher is not something they are obliged to do.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: AA
I finally received a response to an email I sent to SAS. When I sent an answer to the email, I received an automated response that there have been temporary work reductions and the person sending the email is working two hour per week.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I still heard nothing. Is there anybody here who got a voucher generated successfully?

[In all transparency, I have exactly the same experience with LH and LO ... they just asked me to claim, and then quiet ... ]
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:16 am

I had booked a round trip SFO-CPH on SK that departed in January and was set to return in June. I was in Sweden when everything happened and was required to come back to the United States. I paid $613.48 for the tickets - $307 for the fare, $118 for seats, and $188.48 in taxes and fees.

I submitted a refund request (originally for a voucher I believe) on March 13th and just today received an email saying the refund had been granted. However, the email stated I was being refunded only $41.81??! That's not even worth the return flight's fare alone! And all of that refunded money was listed as my refunded taxes and fees - the PDF stated I was refunded $0 in fare! Should I call SAS about this or am I missing something with how they handle refunds

Edit: and the refund was posted to my CC, not as a voucher.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by nopurposeflour
I had booked a round trip SFO-CPH on SK that departed in January and was set to return in June. I was in Sweden when everything happened and was required to come back to the United States. I paid $613.48 for the tickets - $307 for the fare, $118 for seats, and $188.48 in taxes and fees.

I submitted a refund request (originally for a voucher I believe) on March 13th and just today received an email saying the refund had been granted. However, the email stated I was being refunded only $41.81??! That's not even worth the return flight's fare alone! And all of that refunded money was listed as my refunded taxes and fees - the PDF stated I was refunded $0 in fare! Should I call SAS about this or am I missing something with how they handle refunds

Edit: and the refund was posted to my CC, not as a voucher.
It sounds like you cancelled the return of a unrefundable ticket and got back just the taxes for the unused segment. Which kind of makes sense in a way, that your flight in June is not yet cancelled. It might well be, that in June those flights could operate again.

I'm not sure about the waiver in place but as far as I have seen all airlines only allowed refunds or free rebookings for flights within a given window. And I would be very surprised if June was included at March 13th.

So, you need to again look at the fare rules and the exceptions in place at the time when you cancelled the return.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by SK2751
I still heard nothing. Is there anybody here who got a voucher generated successfully?
I just got an email with a voucher (almost as if someone was reading this forum . But I can't open it. The email requires a confirmation with a PNR, and I have filed several claims, so I do not know for which PNR it is. I tried with all PNRs. None worked. I guess I'll give it a shot tomorrow again. Perhaps there is some delay between sending the emails and actually creating the vouchers.

EDIT: by now I received 4 vouchers and managed to retrieve them. It is a bit of a matching game to find out which voucher is for which PNR. Good I keep track of my reservations diligently. Still missing 2 vouchers. Interestingly, the order in which things are refunded appears to be more or less random. It does not seem to be the order in which I booked them, requested refund, or even by flight dates.

Last edited by SK2751; Apr 19, 2020 at 10:14 am
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
Many months ago I booked CPH-LAX-CPH as an award trip in Plus departing 01MAY with return 10MAY.

The booking is still confirmed in the app and when I called SK, they told me the flights are ‘in principle’ in the system because it cannot manage a lot of cancellations at the same time.

While the agent reminded me of the 1 day before depature cancellation option on my side, she was very unclear about what will happen if SK cancels the flight (which it obviously will be).

I note that the voucher option does not apply to “bookings paid partly or fully with EuroBonus points.”

Anyone which experience in this? Will SK just cancel the booking and credit the points? How do I maximize my own situation given that I would like to travel in Plus at a later stage?

Many Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Hafnia
Anyone which experience in this? Will SK just cancel the booking and credit the points? How do I maximize my own situation given that I would like to travel in Plus at a later stage?
No experience in the current situation but on a past cancelation for an award trip. SK redeposited the points and the fees/taxes and said "tough luck". Gave up fighting after a couple of weeks...
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Well, you ask to be rebooked for a later date in SAS Plus - most likely EB will insist that award availability needs to present to rebook, but that shouldn't be a huge problem now.

Otherwise take a refund of EB points and taxes and book a new award ticket as you wish. I don't see any maximizing your situation here.

Last edited by SK AAR; Apr 22, 2020 at 2:10 am
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by nopurposeflour

This appears to be voluntary cancellation (the June CPH-SFO flights haven't been cancelled) that has been dealt with according to the fare rules. I don't see any fault on the part of SK - you decided to cancel.

In hindsight you should not have cancelled the return segment on your own but waited for SAS to cancel or reschedule the flight - then you would have been entitled to a full refund.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:47 pm

As of today, I have had 12 tickets cancelled and received 0 refunds. Also I voluntarily cancelled 3 tickets and have received 0 vouchers. I can't believe they got a 3 billion credit guarantee from the government over a month ago but they have literally done nothing. If there is going to be no accountability, then what is the point of these dispensations in the first place? What is the point of me paying 50% income tax and 25% VAT if it's just going to get used to sustain companies that mismanage it in this way?

At this point I have dealt with most major European airlines during the pandemic and SAS is the worst. BA isn't far ahead, forcing me to "discuss options" with them before issuing a refund, but at least after the "discussion" they did refund me within a few days. KLM is also pretty bad, but at least they issued their "cash-convertible" voucher within a reasonable timescale. And to give credit where it is due, Alsie Express has been excellent. I had two tickets cancelled and both were automatically refunded a few days after the cancellation without any action on my part. As it should be for every airline.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 1:05 am

As you can see above, I got 5 vouchers generated by SK now. They suddenly started coming, more than 5 weeks after the first cancellation. So apply pressure and wait patiently. This voucher business does seem to work.

I still have not seen any money from Lufthansa. Not even an attempt to communicate (contacted them twice). Even LO paid better and faster than LH. In my collection of airlines SK actually did the best (acted fastest), although still pretty slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.