Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS return to Europa from Shanghai (Corona Virus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS return to Europa from Shanghai (Corona Virus)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: More than one
When it comes to cancellation and rebooking, the cancellation of the China flights are similar to the strike about a year ago. Back then SK rebooked on different metal and different routes, but only on their partner airlines, and they had the same refund/rebooking policy for volunteer refund/rebooking as now. This time the rebooking is a little harder as other airlines have canceled their flights in/out of China too, but on the other hand, a lot of PAX have canceled their trips too so the number of rebookings should be smaller for the 2 routes.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
The foreign affairs of multiple countries advice against traveling to China, and have evacuated people from China. That is enough to void EU 261
The Swedish government has advisory until Feb 11 (called IF to ask about cancellation insurance and they told me that), no idea if they will extend it.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
I would be very surprised and upset if I was on a SK trip to china (or any country) and while there was told that the return was delayed by 1 month and they would not rebook me to get home earlier.
I would think the Scandinavian press would also be interested to write about someone that was left behind in china by SK, especially if it was a family with small children.

many other airlines say they will rebook on other carriers.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by herwig
Of course the flight change was not done voluntarily. The flights had been booked back in late September / early October (both in Plus) and I got aware of the cancellation only on Feb 3rd/4th because originally it was announced that SAS would still continue flying to/from China. There had been no active announcement by email or call by SAS neither (though to be fair I might have not been fully reachable on my EU phone all the time).
We haven't heard from you in a while, so wonder what has happened in this case. Did your partner manage to get rebooked too?

Regarding the lack of infomation about the cancelation is probably down to how you booked the flight. If you booked directly at SK either through the SK website or by calling SK, I'm very surprised if you didn't get any info from SK. They normally spam me with updates when there is disruptions on one of my flights. If you booked through a TA or OTA, it's their responsibility to inform you. SK don't always have the contact info when booking through a TA or OTA. If booked through TA or OTA, the rebooking should actually be through them not directly through SK.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
If booked through TA or OTA, the rebooking should actually be through them not directly through SK.
I thought SK took over the responsibility once OP was on board for his outbound journey.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
Thank you for all these answers and the support from the community. My friend made it back to Europe yesterday after being re-booked by SAS following another call to their service hotline.
It just seems that the two agents he talked to at first, completely misunderstood the situation or were simply not competent enough dealing with the re-booking.
So in case anyone is in a similar situation, please insist with the agent that it is SAS duty to get you re-booked for your return flight - or simply hang up and call again to connect with another service agent.

(and sorry for not answering earlier - I got myself caught up in the flight disruptions due to the storm in western/central Europe with multiple delays and follow-up re-routing)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.