Wiki Posts
Search

Bidding or hoping for upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Diamond, Delta, KLM
Bidding or hoping for upgrade?

First time here - just got diamond status again and in the dilemma whether to bid for upgrade IAD-CPH from plus to biz, or to hope for courtesy upgrade? What are your experiences and recommendations? Grateful for any input! :-)
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
I had a few courtesy upgrades over the years with SAS (approximately once per year as EBG or EBD) but usually only in cases where the lower service classes had been over-booked and they had to move customers up anyway. I definitely would not count on it only because you are EBD, chances for a free upgrade will only be 10-20% and highly dependent on the route and time of the year you are flying.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:44 am

In my opinion the courtesy upgrades and the PlusGrade system don't work well together. Since they PlusGrade system has been rolled out allowing bidding with points or cash, I haven't had a single Courtesy upgrade into J. Probably since the PlusGrade upgrades clear at T-48 while the courtesy upgrades are processed T-24. Which means, for a courtesy upgrade to work out, the flight needs to have a veeeeery light load.

In general I feel the "courtesy upgrades" benefit is kind of useless nowadays. They should change it to a one or two confirmed on-cabin class upgrades on SK (or at least to be able to request an upgrade which is processed T-56 before the PlusGrade upgrades clear) a year.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I haven’t heard about tons of EBD’s commonly getting courtesy upgrades to business on IAD-CPH even when I find plenty of seats empty around me. Other SAS routes are a different story.

More recently, I’m finding that SAS seems to be pushing online cash/point sales of the upgrades harder than used to be the case. Such upgrade monetization efforts usually don’t mean good things for courtesy upgrades.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by fassy
In my opinion the courtesy upgrades and the PlusGrade system don't work well together. Since they PlusGrade system has been rolled out allowing bidding with points or cash, I haven't had a single Courtesy upgrade into J. Probably since the PlusGrade upgrades clear at T-48 while the courtesy upgrades are processed T-24. Which means, for a courtesy upgrade to work out, the flight needs to have a veeeeery light load.

In general I feel the "courtesy upgrades" benefit is kind of useless nowadays. They should change it to a one or two confirmed on-cabin class upgrades on SK (or at least to be able to request an upgrade which is processed T-56 before the PlusGrade upgrades clear) a year.
Since the PlusGrade system went live, I've had 2 declined PlusGrade bids, just to get a courtesy upgrade instead, but the for the last couple of years all my long haul flights has either been on none SK metal or booked directly in Plus or Business, so I don't have any experience with PlusGrade or courtesy upgrades within the last 2 years.

But I agree. Getting a courtesy upgrade is a slim chance and not something you should count on.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: SK-EBD
As others states: don't count on courtesy upgrades at all. Bid, if you want the comfort (and earnings).

In 4 years as EBD I had 2 courtesy upgrades (from PE to biz (one for 2 pax, the other for 4 pax). Last one was this January ORD-CPH on an A330. PE was almost empty in advance and biz was less than half, so it was really a courtesy upgrade, not something they 'needed' to. (in the end bizz was full).
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: EBD (*G) & Delta Gold Medallion (STE+)
[Error. Sorry]

Last edited by SASegments; Feb 13, 2020 at 3:16 pm Reason: Written by my pocket. Can’t delete
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Diamond, Delta, KLM
Thanks for useful replies and tips! Yes, it has happened that i have been denied plusgrade bids only to find a courtesy upgrade at the airport. But many bids have been honoured as well. And a few times nothing happened. So I will bid and hope for the best. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.