Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Great opportunity to earn tons of EB - points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great opportunity to earn tons of EB - points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The new SAS Star Alliance award search is quite good, except for the obvious lack of being able to book and search for F awards. Otherwise, United's site is also very good for award search.
I never thought to try a different *A member to search for awards. United and Lot wanted the most for a flight to Australia cashwise, the SK web site was slightly cheaper to buy the same flights than booking direct with SG. I tried to use the points to get an award flight but none were avl and I cannot upgrade but I have a year to use my first batch before they expire so have some time.

But it still goes back to the OP........only the status points are good, never really found a use for the others except for a trip to svalbard one year :-)
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by nussle
So, unless there are some special tricks I dont know how to use I cannot use the points to buy tickets to Australia, or to upgrade.
For a flight from Scandinavia to Australia I would contact the SK customer service. Last time I was in Australia I just wrote to the diamond mail address and got an itinerary proposal which included a 1 week layover in Japan with different arrival and departure airport and a good mix of airlines. In total I had 8 flights on this trip. 3 flights were in business (CPH-LHR, HKG-HND and BKK-CPH). The rest was in first. I wanted on purpose to try as many different airlines as possible on this trip hence the many flights.

Back then the list price were 240.000 point, but I ended up with only paying 180.000 points plus taxes. The 1 week layover in Japan shouldn't be possible either according to the listed rules, but were not a problem we I talked to the diamond customer support.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I never thought to try a different *A member to search for awards. United and Lot wanted the most for a flight to Australia cashwise, the SK web site was slightly cheaper to buy the same flights than booking direct with SG. I tried to use the points to get an award flight but none were avl and I cannot upgrade but I have a year to use my first batch before they expire so have some time.

But it still goes back to the OP........only the status points are good, never really found a use for the others except for a trip to svalbard one year :-)
If you find awards via United, you would need to call SK to book it. And you would need to look for availability at the saver level.

Awrds can be tricky to find. It is not like you can just decide to go somewhere and expect an award to be available exactly as you need.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:07 am

Well, if ONLY booking a flight to down under or Svalbard is considered valuable... then you might have a point as flight to Australia and New Zealand are hard to come by... on almost any US or European FFP. But to me, this looks quite narrow-minded...

Here is my and my wife’s list of the last two years:
CPH-MUC-EWR-FRA-CPH on LH F
CPH-MUC-JFK//BOS-FRA-CPH on LH F
CPH-LHR-BKK//NRT-FRA-CPH, mix of TG F, ANA J and SK
CPH-MUC-SFO-FRA-CPH, LH F
+ half a dozen CPH-HAM-CPH or CPH-HAJ-CPH round trips.

Always using the AMEX 2-4-1 on the longhaul.

I would never be able pay in cash for those flights for the two of us...

So for me, extra Status Miles are worthless. I requalify for EBD anyhow after a few months into my new qualification period.

Last edited by fassy; Oct 20, 2019 at 4:13 am
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Well, if ONLY booking a flight to down under or Svalbard is considered valuable... then you might have a point as flight to Australia and New Zealand are hard to come by... on almost any US or European FFP. But to me, this looks quite narrow-minded...

Perhaps I just look too late, I tried a couple of times to get flights to southern airports (from ARN) in the summer and it never really worked. Svalbard was really easy but I booked a week up there and its about 3 days too long :-)

I need a trip to Australia so I logged on and tried to book with points and it cannot do it. I dont think its narrow minded it just does not work when I tried so I just bought the ticket. When I try to book with points I can usually find a flight in one direction but not in the other.

I have a trip to Asia this year so perhaps I can get myself a upgrade. I fly economy everywhere so it usually takes me about 9 months to get my gold membership and I never got diamond.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:59 am

I need a trip to Australia so I logged on and tried to book with points and it cannot do it. I dont think its narrow minded it just does not work when I tried so I just bought the ticket. When I try to book with points I can usually find a flight in one direction but not in the other.
what I meant about narrow minded is: just because you couldn‘t find the one destination in the timeframe you were looking for, doesn’t make extra EuroBonus points useless. They can be very very valuable, as you can see from my examples.

I have a trip to Asia this year so perhaps I can get myself a upgrade. I fly economy everywhere so it usually takes me about 9 months to get my gold membership and I never got diamond.
Then I wonder why ExtraPoints are worthless for you? you will not get soooo many that you don’t know what to do with them anyway? Why not use them for a LH F or TG F flight for a week in NYC or BKK? They are quite easy to come by. In J it is not a Problem to go anywhere as long as you plan accordingly... well, and don’t want to go to Australia, New Zealand or Hawaii... that takes some more initiative
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Well, I am not giving my points to you but I did just try to use them to book flights to Australia on the SAS page and it cannot do it so in the end I booked via the SAS web site with cash on the singapore airways going to ARN-DME-SIN-SYD thinking I might be able to bid for a upgrade but that option does not exist on my booking page. Actually, I cannot even reserve seats.

So, unless there are some special tricks I dont know how to use I cannot use the points to buy tickets to Australia, or to upgrade.

I cannot even find out how many points I will get flying in E out and Y back on my EB account flying SG...but hopefully it will be a few. I will keep my status that way.
Welcome to the beauty of code shares.

You can estimate the points range by checking the SQ earnings table of the appropriate cabin. Bear in mind that ARN - DME - SIN is a direct flight with one stop, so you will get points for ARN - SIN.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Welcome to the beauty of code shares.

You can estimate the points range by checking the SQ earnings table of the appropriate cabin. Bear in mind that ARN - DME - SIN is a direct flight with one stop, so you will get points for ARN - SIN.

Looks good,
Economy Flexi Y, B, E 19,384 miles according to their points chart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.