Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit times Oslo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Depends what airline you're connecting to. Ground handling at OSL have been quite good for example checking through bags on separate tickets with LH F and TG J - I don't know whether that's because its Lufthansa, or because of being in F. Star Alliance is typically better at this - OneWorld quite bad and BA for example will refuse to do this even on OW-OW tickets.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I haven't tried, as I always get all flights on the same ticket, but do you know any airlines which will check your luggage through to the final destination when not all the flights are on the same ticket?
Plenty of airlines check through luggage across tickets. Cathay has it as a stated rule to any carrier that they have an interline agreement with, JAL has it as a stated rule within Oneworld, but will even do it to most non alliance carriers (even to the "friends" in ANA), Thai is famous for being good at it, though don't have it as a written benefit, for Lufthansa you can even download the staff instruction on how to do it and bring it to check in if you doubt the knowledge at the station you see departing from. ANA will check through to Star Alliance and carries they have an interline agreement with, like JL and CX.

That the likes of BA, AA, and seemingly also SK has an appalling attitude in this matter just says a lot about their customer service mindset.

Changi Airport even offers a service wherr you can go to a transit desk with your two tickets and your luggage tag, and they'll then retrieve your bag from the belt, and have it rechecked on your next airline if the originating airline did not check it through.

Generally plans change, and I sometimes change direction midway on a trip, which is beyond what one ticket can manage, so I just discard some legs and buy a new ticket, so while I generally travel on one ticket, I am from time to time stuck with two, as the last minute changes of travel plans can't be managed on one.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: QF WP, NZ G
Thanks for the replies to my query about an OSL transit on separate tickets.
While I prefer not to risk a miss-connect, I will take this risk on separate tickets.
(I can't seem to find a local TA who can do this on one ticket, and at a price anywhere near to booking direct on the airlines web pages.)

SAS has their LYR-OSL-CPH flight with a 40 minute transit (though there is a later OSL-CPH flight), so I assume they have some confidence in their schedule. Flight delays look minimal, looking at the flight history 30/7/2019 to 21/9/2019. Only one significant delay with the actual landing at 14:45 instead of 05:20.

I'll use SK for OSL-LHR. The OSL-LHR-MEL will be booked in business. Hopefully that will speed up check-in and security in OSL.
Be interesting to see whether they'll check the bags through in LYR!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Buzz53
SAS has their LYR-OSL-CPH flight with a 40 minute transit (though there is a later OSL-CPH flight), so I assume they have some confidence in their schedule. Flight delays look minimal, looking at the flight history 30/7/2019 to 21/9/2019. Only one significant delay with the actual landing at 14:45 instead of 05:20.
On the one hand, you're right, they have confidence in their own schedule. On the other hand, they have up to 14 one-way flights OSL-CPH per day, so with a LYR-OSL delay, they can easily put passengers with a single ticket LYR-OSL-CPH on another flight at no cost to themselves.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: More than one
(I can't seem to find a local TA who can do this on one ticket, and at a price anywhere near to booking direct on the airlines web pages.)
Have you tried to call SK? They do sell tickets on various airlines beside their own.

SAS has their LYR-OSL-CPH flight with a 40 minute transit (though there is a later OSL-CPH flight), so I assume they have some confidence in their schedule.
All airlines base their schedule on being 100% ontime. The 40 min. is probably around the minimum connection time in OSL, which is used to determine who should pay for rerouting in case of a delay. If your connection time is below the minimum connection time, most airlines refuse to issue a ticket as you will have to pay for the rerouting your self in case of a delay.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:48 am

Have you tried to call SK? They do sell tickets on various airlines beside their own.
True, but also SK's pricing is somewhat crazy if adding in flights on other carriers... e.g. often enough I book CPH-FRA/MUC-XXX with first leg on SK on LH at reasonable pricing (around $500) but asking for the same flights on SK I get ridiculous quotes like CPH-FRA-WRO for $2,500. It is a better for long-haul but on European short-haul, the SK route network pricing is kind of bugged beyond repair.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by fassy
True, but also SK's pricing is somewhat crazy if adding in flights on other carriers... e.g. often enough I book CPH-FRA/MUC-XXX with first leg on SK on LH at reasonable pricing (around $500) but asking for the same flights on SK I get ridiculous quotes like CPH-FRA-WRO for $2,500. It is a better for long-haul but on European short-haul, the SK route network pricing is kind of bugged beyond repair.
Unless you ask for specific flights, SK will by default use their code share numbers for other airline flights, and then the price is normally higher than if you use the other airline flight number. But if you have all the flights numbers for the trip you want, SK can normally put everything on one ticket at the same price or lower than what you can get it through separate OTA tickets. On top of this you have their booking fee, but compared to the risk of having to deal with the rerouting your self, IMHO it's a cheap insurance.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:04 am

Unless you ask for specific flights, SK will by default use their code share numbers for other airline flights, and then the price is normally higher than if you use the other airline flight number. But if you have all the flights numbers for the trip you want, SK can normally put everything on one ticket at the same price or lower than what you can get it through separate OTA tickets. On top of this you have their booking fee, but compared to the risk of having to deal with the rerouting your self, IMHO it's a cheap insurance.
Have you ever tried booking through the SAS for Business system? The price is not "higher", it is often "obscene-out-of-the-world-crazy"... the booking fee doesn't even make a difference... we are talking several hundreds to thousand $ difference on the fare. Every time I picked up the phone to talk to an agent and they quoted the same as the SAS for Business system. Perhaps I'm just unlucky at the flights I'm looking at, but for me this isn't working. Espacially since booking on Lot.com, LH.com, UA.com, Swiss.com or Austrian.com works and puts out reasonable prices.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Have you ever tried booking through the SAS for Business system? The price is not "higher", it is often "obscene-out-of-the-world-crazy"... the booking fee doesn't even make a difference... we are talking several hundreds to thousand $ difference on the fare. Every time I picked up the phone to talk to an agent and they quoted the same as the SAS for Business system. Perhaps I'm just unlucky at the flights I'm looking at, but for me this isn't working. Espacially since booking on Lot.com, LH.com, UA.com, Swiss.com or Austrian.com works and puts out reasonable prices.
I've never used the SAS for Business system, but I have a couple of times use the SK TA office when I had a private trip I couldn't get through an airline webshop due to not all flights being available in the webshops. The total price I was quoted in all instances were the same or lower compared to booking the same flights on different airline webshops or OTA's. When I write same flights, I mean same flight numbers on same day, not just same route. In some cases they tried to use their codeshare numbers, which raised the price, which I of course declined.

For business flights I have to use CWT, but here I also specifies precisely which flights I want, otherwise they book me on flights with 6 hours layover around midnight or 2 hour layover in New York, where arrival airport is EWR and departure is JKF. :-(
SK2751 likes this.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Oct 4, 2019 at 5:45 am
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:41 am

I'll use SK for OSL-LHR. The OSL-LHR-MEL will be booked in business. Hopefully that will speed up check-in and security in OSL.
Be interesting to see whether they'll check the bags through in LYR!
As people are saying - should be no problem and July 30th it would probably be quiet as it is summer-vacation-time and no business travelers. As mentioned earlier on this topic, security capacity is normally very good at OSL.

Originally Posted by RedChili
On the one hand, you're right, they have confidence in their own schedule. On the other hand, they have up to 14 one-way flights OSL-CPH per day, so with a LYR-OSL delay, they can easily put passengers with a single ticket LYR-OSL-CPH on another flight at no cost to themselves.
Not in July, expect half capacity and very full flights OSL-CPH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.