FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Transit times Oslo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1985325-transit-times-oslo.html)

garyn Aug 31, 2019 6:23 am

Transit times Oslo

Hi
What are the approx transit times for non shengen flights at OSL? Have a QR flight at 15:55 and am considering the SAS MAN-OSL flight 10:55-13:55 on a saturday. Would that give me enough time to clear passport/immigration collect my bags then check in for QR flight? Airport website says min transfer 45mins but I think that refers to same ticket transfers.Thanks

fassy Aug 31, 2019 7:05 am

2hrs is plenty. OSL is quite small and efficient. On one ticket I would even do 45-60 minutes without any concerns. Anyway, on separate tickets... I would give it more time.

chrisljo Aug 31, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by garyn (Post 31476300)
Hi
What are the approx transit times for non shengen flights at OSL? Have a QR flight at 15:55 and am considering the SAS MAN-OSL flight 10:55-13:55 on a saturday. Would that give me enough time to clear passport/immigration collect my bags then check in for QR flight? Airport website says min transfer 45mins but I think that refers to same ticket transfers.Thanks

This will work every time if there is no delay, but your margin is on the low side. You likely get to baggage collection before your bags, and from there it is less than 10 min to checkin, from there it is 10-15 min to gate. I believe QR might close checkin 50-60 min before departure, so if you make that you are fine.

Your risks are:
a) Bus gate (very low)
b) Passport control (low to medium )
c) Flight delay (medium)
d) Late baggage (low to medium)
e) Being stopped in customs (low for most people)

What nationality is your passport?

I wouldn’t do this connection on separate tickets for a outbound long haul.

chrisljo Aug 31, 2019 9:08 am

Just one thing to add. If you can do online checkin this connection is very easy without checked bags.

SounderTID Aug 31, 2019 9:25 am

Probably not worth the chance unless OK with missing flight

Queues can be long if you don’t have an EU/EEA passport. Baggage claim can have delays regardless of passport.

I’d spend the night in Oslo if I had to build my own connecting flights

Or be prepared to buy a new ticket at walkup prices if you miss the flight

chrisljo Aug 31, 2019 9:37 am

There is a late friday flight with SK, take that a get a room around the airport or close to the central station. I think prices for the hotels that require a shuttle should be quite reasonable.

SK AAR Aug 31, 2019 12:55 pm

SAS is very punctual. 2 hours at OSL is more than sufficient. I wouldn't hesitate to book this flight with a subsequent QR flight 2 hours later. Most likely the OP will make it.

RedChili Aug 31, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm quite certain that the QR check-in is closing at 1 hour before departure. So, a 2 hour layover means that he only has one hour to reach the check-in desk. So, that's one hour for possible SAS delays, immigration, baggage reclaim, customs, and the walk from the gate to the check-in desks. On a Saturday, which is the busiest day of the week for leisure flyers. I would say that he has a more than 50% chance of making it.

chrisljo Aug 31, 2019 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 31477243)
SAS is very punctual. 2 hours at OSL is more than sufficient. I wouldn't hesitate to book this flight with a subsequent QR flight 2 hours later. Most likely the OP will make it.

You are right in that SAS is punctual, and OSL is a very efficient airport. I often make it to airport express trains that leave 6-8 min after door open, even for non Schengen, but transfer with luggage/re-checkin is a area where things can be problematic.

If OP is not in front rows, has a non-EU passport and plans to travel during winter months (nov-feb) this becomes high risk. For a long haul connection with no protection I wouldn’t do if there where other options, even if sitting in 1D for the SAS flight and with a Norwegian passport.

SK AAR Aug 31, 2019 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili (Post 31477326)
On a Saturday, which is the busiest day of the week for leisure flyers. I would say that he has a more than 50% chance of making it.

? Saturday afternoon is probably the least busiest time of the week. You are referring to Friday and Sunday afternoon/evening.

I would rate the chance as high as 90-95%

RedChili Sep 1, 2019 1:26 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 31478343)
? Saturday afternoon is probably the least busiest time of the week. You are referring to Friday and Sunday afternoon/evening.

I'll admit that my experience comes mostly from ARN and not OSL (I used to work at ARN), but at ARN at least, Saturday is by far the busiest day for leisure flyers. Saturday is the day when all those SAS 737s and 320s that usually fly ARN-OSL-ARN or ARN-CPH-ARN multiple times per day are instead used on such routes as ARN-PMI-ARN or ARN-CHQ-ARN.(1) Saturday is also the day for most cruise charters in the summer and skiing charters in the winter, and ethnic flights all year round. The baggage handlers have a lot of bags to take care of on a Saturday.

Friday and Sunday afternoon/evening is more commuters to OSL, CPH, HEL and similar destinations, who usually have less baggage, are more used to flying, and go through the airport much quicker.

---

(1) A quick look at the OSL web site indeed shows lots of the same type of flights yesterday, Saturday. The ten first flights are: Palma, Samos, Malaga, Palma, Dublin, Antalya, Kalamata, Lisboa, Palma, Skiathos. Nine of these are baggage heavy destinations around the Mediterranean. On Sunday, today, the ten first flights are: Antalya, Copenhagen, Mytilini, Samos, Frankfurt, Karpathos, Paris, Alicante, Amsterdam, Athen.

RedChili Sep 1, 2019 2:06 am

Just take yesterday as an example: Around the time of the MAN flight were the following non-Schengen flights:

12:50 DY JFK
13:15 QR DOH
13:30 SK LHR
13:30 DY SPU
13:35 SK MAN
13:35 PC SAW
13:55 DY FLL

If the JFK flight would be half an hour late and FLL half an hour early, the MAN passengers could end up in an immigration line of 1,600-1,700 passengers.

Discus Sep 1, 2019 2:15 am

Only big things to worry about here are delays in inbound flight (if you have a European passport). If you are on time this should work, if you are getting a delay you are soon to find your self in a stressful situation.

All over - Oslo is efficient - my record from leaving the airporttrain to being at a domestic gate is 2:30mins in the morning rush (Fasttrack and HBO that is). I am on average through OSL every second week both domestic and international at various days and times. Personally I would not have such a tight connection on separate tickets (unless it is my only option) as there are few alternatives if things go wrong. And I also guess 2 hrs are below what most travel insurances will cover?

Also - if you see "Boarding" on the monitors for QR, do not panic. They are normally putting that up way ahead of boardingtime so would probably show "Boarding" when your MAN-flight is landing.

garyn Sep 1, 2019 2:37 am

Thanks for all your replies. I've decided to edge on the side of caution and will fly in on the Friday evening flight.

Any recommendations for budget hotels close to the airport, ideally walking distance?

highupinthesky Sep 1, 2019 2:53 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 31478343)

The least busiest time is actually Tuesday to Thursday after 19:00. Saturday is about as busy as a weekday, but there is more leisure travelers than business travelers, while on the weekdays it's the opposite. Also the pax's are spread more equal during the day on a Saturday compared to a weekday, so you wont see the same peak hours on a Saturday, but more pax's in the middle of the day compared to a weekday.