Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit times Oslo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by garyn
Thanks for all your replies. I've decided to edge on the side of caution and will fly in on the Friday evening flight.

Any recommendations for budget hotels close to the airport, ideally walking distance?
Walking distanse is only the Radisson and Park Inn, both decent and usually in the 1200-1800NOK range. In my view Radisson is the worth the 100-250kr higher price. The hotels with shuttle can be found usually sub 1000kr, but I think there is a cost to take shuttle.

The local trains will take you round trip to the central station in 22 min(each way) for 200NOK and around there are lots of option (coming the day before you now have plenty of time). Central station area is in my view a better option than the shuttle hotels.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:34 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by chrisljo

Walking distanse is only the Radisson and Park Inn, both decent and usually in the 1200-1800NOK range. In my view Radisson is the worth the 100-250kr higher price. The hotels with shuttle can be found usually sub 1000kr, but I think there is a cost to take shuttle.

The local trains will take you round trip to the central station in 22 min(each way) for 200NOK and around there are lots of option (coming the day before you now have plenty of time). Central station area is in my view a better option than the shuttle hotels.
I usually stay at the Park Inn using SAS EB points if I have to stay at the airport, the shuttle hotels are too risky, even if much cheaper when paid for by money.

I agree on taking the train to Oslo. Check hotels close to the main station (Oslo S) or Nationatheatret. All local trains, and most airport express trains serves both, and the latter is in a nicer (but more expensive) area. Scandic Solli is close to Nationaltheatret. Next to Oslo S good bets would be Scandic Byporten and Comfort Hotel Grand Central - both actually inside the station complex. Just across the street is Comfort Hotel Xpress Central Station (no breakfast included), Scandic Oslo City and the upmarket Amerikalinjen, Clarion The Hub, Radisson Blu Oslo Plaza and Thon Hotel Opera (the latter is the shortest walk to the Airport Express). There are many others five minutes away.

The OP could also look into staying at Lillestrøm - midway between OSL and Oslo. The Scandic is a new hotel, next to the station, but obviously less convenient for sightseeing the next day.

The fare for the local/regional train to from the airport (including any connecting tram/metro/bus within Oslo) is 105 NOK one way. The corresponding fare for the Airport Express is nearly double that: NOK 196 one way (not including connections within Oslo)
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: baec, m&m
Originally Posted by ksu
I usually stay at the Park Inn using SAS EB points if I have to stay at the airport, the shuttle hotels are too risky, even if much cheaper when paid for by money
Thanks for all the replies and helpful info.

Can I ask what you mean when you say the shuttle hotels are too risky?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:38 pm

Never, not even in deep winter, I had any issues with getting to or from the offsite hotels in OSL. Have been at the Clarion and Scandic quite a lot over the years.

But they are real sad places, that is for sure
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:18 pm

Local/regional trains (nonstop 10 mins, 3 time/hr) to Lillestrøm is almost the same price as a shuttlebus to an airport hotel, and much nicer.

If staying in Oslo and you want to go for a sightseeing with metro etc. there is a 24hr ticket (NOK246) valid to/from airport and on bus/trams/metro/local/regional trains in greater Oslo area.

Heas up for Park Inn at OSL - there are two of them, one within walking distance, the other is shuttlebus.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:10 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by garyn

Thanks for all the replies and helpful info.

Can I ask what you mean when you say the shuttle hotels are too risky?
The shuttles don't always run to schedule, and they run too seldom, meaning that any irregularity gives a high risk of missing the plane, or needing to put in a large safety buffer.

On the convenience factor: the area around the airport (I commuted to the area for four years) can also be bitterly cold in winter, meaning that waiting for a bus at an outdoor bus shelter, either at the hotel or at the airport can be a very uncomfortable experience.

As the shuttles are not free, I would rather spend the money at a proper airport hotel (Radisson Blu or Park Inn (as noted: NOT Park Inn West)), or go to Lillestrøm or Oslo. Even though trains in Oslo have had their irregularities, they have a set schedule and one can wait indoors in winter.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Regarding immigration it has been pretty bad recently - in fact it goes much faster if you have a non-EU passport (and are not resident in Norway) because those lines on most flights are much shorter. This is specifically if the automated gates aren't working. I've seen people miss their flight out of OSL because immigration took too long...
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by ung1
Regarding immigration it has been pretty bad recently - in fact it goes much faster if you have a non-EU passport (and are not resident in Norway) because those lines on most flights are much shorter. This is specifically if the automated gates aren't working. I've seen people miss their flight out of OSL because immigration took too long...
Can't you use the none EU lines with an EU passport like in any other airports in EU?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Can't you use the none EU lines with an EU passport like in any other airports in EU?
Sure you can. I do it all the time. It says "Any passport" which includes the EU passports. Never have been challenged and if, I would just say "Sorry, next time I use the other queue". But as said, never happened. And as you said, I do this in any airport in the EU if the foreign passport (aka "any passport") line is shorter.

Also, I have often enough in ARN or OSL just bypassed the queue and asked if I can just move in because my connecting flight is about to depart in x minutes. If you look real desperate and be humble about it, nobody (who is not a total jerk) would make a fuzz. Actually, if I have the time and somebody asks me to skip ahead, I usually just invite them in as well. And even if people are a bit grumpy since the Nordic mentality kind of frowns about skipping queues but on the other hand has the very non-confrontational attitude, you will not face any opposition. And who cares if some people which you never ever see again thing you are an a$$?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
The immigration officers are pretty insistent about this - and people tend to follow the rules and not skip the queue when 30 other people are patiently waiting in line.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: More than one
The immigration officers are pretty insistent about this - and people tend to follow the rules and not skip the queue when 30 other people are patiently waiting in line.
Well. If the sign says all passports like in other airports, in my view you are entitled to use that queue with an EU passport.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:45 pm

The whole point of having a separate line or lines for "EU/EEA/CH passports" is that it's usually much quicker to process those passports, so they can get through quicker. But anybody can use the "Any passport" line if they so wish and if they believe that it will be quicker. I've done that many times at many European airports, and no immigration official has ever complained.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The fact that people wait patiently in a line they don't need to wait in is their problem not mine. So I am not skipping the line, just taking the shortest one available to me.

If you come to the supermarket cash registers and see a line with 10 people waiting, and one with 2 people waiting, which one do you pick?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you come to the supermarket cash registers and see a line with 10 people waiting, and one with 2 people waiting, which one do you pick?
Surprisingly a lot of people in Sweden would go for the longer line
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The fact that people wait patiently in a line they don't need to wait in is their problem not mine. So I am not skipping the line, just taking the shortest one available to me.

But in this case it is not a "line they don't need to wait in" because the immigration officials insist that anyone with an EU/EEA passport or Norwegian residence permit use the EU line. The other thing is that this line moves super fast, so what looks like a shorter line may in fact take much longer with questions being asked etc (applies more to arrival than departure, admittedly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.