Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

First A350 for SK is now being built [merged A350 thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum, SAS Silver

according to this one (danish) http://www.check-in.dk/sas-udskyder-...-a350-levering

Here one can see that SAS expects to receive an Airbus A350 aircraft in 2019, two in 2020 and five in 2021. The previous reports can see that the plan was to receive in 2018, one in 2019, two in 2020 and four i

kind of a bummer, but i guess it depends on the real reasoning behind. Hope this doesnt' represent any step back from SAS's push on intercon.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:14 am

I have already posted this in the LH upgrade thread - and updated the wiki
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus
It might be a delivery slot thing since the original schedule had for a single A350 in operation for over a year. Now there are going to be at least three deliveries fairly close together...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus
Originally Posted by DeninDK
kind of a bummer, but i guess it depends on the real reasoning behind. Hope this doesnt' represent any step back from SAS's push on intercon.
... it will probably mean that LN-RKP will be in traffic a bit longer that initially expected!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: More than one
First A350 for SK is now being build

According to this site https://sites.google.com/site/a350xw...roduction-list the first A350 for SK is now being build in Toulouse.
If this is true and the normal production speed is maintained the bird should be delivered to SK during August which is about 3 months before the latest announced date from SK.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Apr 22, 2019 at 9:35 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:26 pm

I think you're a bit optimistic. There's about 60 planes ahead of SE-RSA which haven't been delivered yet. And Airbus delivers an average of 8-10 per month. Also, July and August are normally slower months with fewer deliveries. So I would suspect that delivery is about 7-8 months away.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:55 am

If you take a closer look at the site I linked too (and similar sites), you will see the planes aren't delivered in the frame number order. Neither is the building process started based on their frame number.
If you take a look at the A320 page, you will see that the next SK plane is still not being build, but plans after it has already been delivered.

Edit. The A320 page is on this site https://aibfamily.flights/production-list/A320 It also has a page for the A330 and A350

Last edited by highupinthesky; Apr 23, 2019 at 4:45 am
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:26 am

The frame number has no relevance at all. What's interesting is to look at "aircraft disposition," "location" and "notes."

There are 51 planes that have disposition "production testing," "awaiting first flight," "paint," "outdoor ground tests," "cabin fit," or "final assembly line," and all of these airplanes will obviously be delivered prior to SE-RSA. In addition, there are 4 planes with position or notes as "rework" or "new winglets," which may or may not be delivered before RSA. There are also 6 planes that have unknown disposition or location but are colored in dark blue, which indicates that they are probably ahead of RSA on the line. Also, there are 4 other planes together with RSA in station 59, meaning that they will probably be delivered around the same time as RSA.

So, in total, you're probably looking at somewhere between 51-65 planes that will be delivered before SE-RSA.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:35 am

The production of the planes is not a fixed schedule. If you click on the frame number on this list https://aibfamily.flights/production-list/A350, you will see that some planes spend about 1 month from spotted in primer till delivery, while others spend 3-6 months. The normal production time from the plan reaching station 50 till delivery is 2-3 months as far as I know. The average time in station 59 is about 1 month or less.

Station 59 is where the parts arrive, and where the galley, crew resting space, toilets and other larger parts are installed.
Station 50 is the first station after station 59 and here the 3 main parts are jointed together.
Station 40 is the next station where the wings, tail, floors, landing gear, engine pylons etc. are installed
Station 30 is where seats are installed, and where all the flight electronics are tested.
Station 18 is where all the final testing before flight tests happens. This include final test of electronics, cabin pressurization etc.
Station 20 is where the final airline customization take place. This include cockpit customization and flight entertainment systems etc.
Between station 40 and delivery the plane has to be painted. Primer are always applied before the first flight, but the last layers of paint can be applied at anytime between primer and delivery.
Test flying can happen anytime after station 18 and not all planes has the same number of test flights. Most have 2 or 3, but in the list there are planes with only 1 test flight and some with 4 or more

That said. I did write that August delivery will be depending on a normal uninterrupted production. But I would not be surprised if SK has traded a delay in the delivery of A320's for an earlier delivery of the first A350. They haven't received a A320 since December 10, and they still have about 40 on order to be delivered before 2025 and currently there are around 5 in the production list with parts just starting to arrive for the first one.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Apr 23, 2019 at 4:44 am
Old May 4, 2019, 9:53 pm

My guess about late August arrival of the first A350 was confirmed by the cabin crew on a longhaul flight today. Please see more details in the LN-RKP tread.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:01 am

Here is an interesting article about how the A350's are being put together. Unfortunately it's in Danish. https://check-in.dk/paa-rundtur-i-de...0-samlefabrik/. In the article SE-RSA is mention with an expected delivery date of end October.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:10 pm

Very interesting. However, there are some things that I find puzzling in that article. Such as: "Station 59 i hovedbygning M50 på Toulouse-fabrikken. Om kort tid vil produktionen af første A350 til SAS begynde her." English: "Station 59 in main building M50 at the Toulouse factory. In a short while, the production of the first A350 for SAS will start here." The link you provided on April 22, claimed that SE-RSA was at station 59 already then. And the Check-In journalist visited Toulouse on May 21-22. So, what is it?

But Check-In has another article from April 22, where they claimed that RSA had reached station 59 at that time.
https://check-in.dk/airbus-har-start...-a350-til-sas/

Also, Check-In says, "SAS forventer at modtage det første fly i november i år." "SAS expects to receive the first airplane in November this year." But that sentence doesn't really mean a lot, since it's just the official SAS info.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili
Very interesting. However, there are some things that I find puzzling in that article. Such as: "Station 59 i hovedbygning M50 på Toulouse-fabrikken. Om kort tid vil produktionen af første A350 til SAS begynde her." English: "Station 59 in main building M50 at the Toulouse factory. In a short while, the production of the first A350 for SAS will start here." The link you provided on April 22, claimed that SE-RSA was at station 59 already then. And the Check-In journalist visited Toulouse on May 21-22. So, what is it?
I think it's a wording thing. The parts arrive at station 59 and it's also here where toilets, crew rest areas, etc. are installed, but the 3 large parts aren't fused together until station 50. Both station 59 and station 50 are in the same building. I assume check-in.dk don't call it a plane until the 3 main parts has been fused together and therefore the production starts at station 50
Various tracking sites has reported SE-RSA to have arrived at station 59 around April 22.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
News on Airbus A350

Now there is news from SAS. Just released a news letter:

SAS announces first A350 flights and features

June 13, 2019From January 2020, travelers can look forward to exploring the world in the most fuel-efficient and comfortable long haul aircraft, the Airbus A350. The new aircraft is a key investment and part of the extensive renewal of the SAS fleet, tailored to reduce emissions, and in line with the Scandinavian outlook on travel.

SAS travelers can soon experience the world’s most modern and fuel-efficient long-haul aircraft. On January 28, 2020, the first of eight new SAS Airbus A350 will officially enter into long-haul service between Copenhagen and Chicago, one of the most popular SAS routes. The A350 will be based at the SAS hub at Copenhagen Airport and will operate on seven routes during the first year, including Chicago, Beijing, New York, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong Kong and San Francisco.

”We will shorten the distance from Scandinavia to cultures and important markets by serving worldwide destinations in an efficient and comfortable way. We look forward to welcoming our passengers on board this state-of the-art aircraft,” says Karl Sandlund, SAS Executive Vice President Commercial.

“Our new fleet is incredibly well suited to Scandinavian travel patterns and tailored to meet market demands. This new aircraft will strengthen our customer offering,” he says.

The aircraft is an entirely new type for SAS and it enables a more competitive future and more sustainable way of flying in terms of reduced emissions. On each flight, 300 travelers (40 SAS Business / 32 SAS Plus / 228 SAS Go) and SAS crew can look forward to an unmatched cabin environment created by a combination of the quietest twin-aisle cabin, optimized cabin altitude, more fresh air, and advanced control of temperature and humidity.

In addition, to further enhance the experience on board, the A350 will be equipped with unique SAS features, carefully developed from feedback given from travelers. SAS will announce these new features during 2019.

The market’s most advanced fleet

The A350 is a milestone in the extensive renewal of the SAS fleet which will consist of the market’s most advanced and fuel-efficient aircraft. The A350 lowers CO2 emissions by approximately 30% and reduces external noise footprint by up to 40% compared to previous generation aircraft. In total, as a part the modernization of the short and long-haul fleet, SAS will take delivery of new Airbus A320neo (80), Airbus A330 Enhanced (5), Airbus A350 (8), and Airbus A321LR (3) aircraft before the end of 2023. Combined with the upgrade of the cabin interiors, the SAS fleet is shaped for the future of traveling and a key enabler to achieve SAS’ ambitious, but tangible, target by 2030 to reduce total carbon emissions by at least 25%, an ambition exceeding the targets set by IATA.

SAS Airbus A350 The Airbus A350 is a new mid-size long-range aircraft composed by the world’s most modern technology and aerodynamic features. The first SAS Airbus A350 will be named ‘SE-RSA Ingegerd Viking’. By end of 2019, the aircraft will be delivered from the Airbus factory in Toulouse. Following delivery, it will fly training flights in Scandinavia during December and January to educate pilots and crew.

Facts:
• Number of aircraft: 8
• Number of seats: 300 (40 SAS Business / 32 SAS Plus / 228 SAS Go)
• Max. takeoff weight: 268 metric tons
• Max. load: 50 tons
• Length: 66.9 m
• Wingspan: 64.8 m
• Cruising speed: 910kmph/570 mph
• Range: 13 800 km
• Fuel consumption: 0.028 liters/seat km
• Engine: RR Trent XWB

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 23, 2019 at 3:53 pm Reason: Removed blog link
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Which indicates a 2-4-2 seating in PE. And 1-2-1 in C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.