Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Check in @ [ARN] T2 - can I get to T5 airside?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Hi folks,

I'm not an ARN regular so am hoping that someone that is can help me out with this question.

I am flying BA ex ARN (terminal 2) however I wanted to join a colleague in a restaurant in T5. Is it possible to walk airside from T2 to T5 if I only have a boarding card for a flight departing T2?

Many Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:47 pm

No, it is definitely not possible to walk between the two terminals airside.

However, there's an airside transfer bus between the two terminals, and I don't think that the driver asks to see a boarding card. So if you just say that you need to get to T5, you will probably be able to go that way.
bananahead likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:33 am
Original Poster

So...it can be done. But it’s not straight forward and you need a GOOD amount of time.

I checked in for my BA flight at terminal 2 and passed through security there. I was surprised how little there is going on at T2. Not a single flight was boarding so no airline staff to ask. There’s no information desk. And all of the terminal signs direct passengers to other terminals via the exit. I persevered a little though and found some stairs down to some bussing gates. And behold, there was a sign ‘bus transfer to terminal 5’ along with a request button to push. The bus came along in ten minutes and makes stops at T4 and T3 along the way.

I met my friend in the FANTASTIC little AMEX lounge within ‘Pontus’ restaurant and then made my way back. Again, this was a task. The drop off point I arrived at wasn’t the same place I’d catch the bus back. So I approached a passing SAS ground staff and asked where I should go. He said there was absolutely NO bus airside between terminals. And again, all signage directs you to the other terminals via the exit. I obviously knew there was so kept up asking. I found a SAS ‘service centre’ and the lady that helped me knew of it but had no idea where it was. She made some phone calls and found out the answer. It was similar to the T2 set up. Down a random set of stairs near a gate and then press the button to request the bus.

So for anyone travelling from T2 that has reason to go to T5 - follow the signs to gate 61 before passport control but after security and take the stairs down.

For those wanting to get from T5 to T2 - head for gate 10.

oh PS. The bus driver did not need to see a boarding pass for the transit and there was no further re entry security.

SK2751 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Took the bus back in February and there's no BP required. However it took FOREVER for the bus to come, it said 15 minutes, and counted down BUT it counted up again when the bus was supposed to be here in 2 minutes.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:11 am

Just also tried the bus T4-T5 for the first time and it was a nightmare. The bus arrived on time at the gate as announced but it waited nearly half an hour with doors opened and let people jump on to a point where I thought I would suffocate or be crushed. Finally it started moving but then stopped again 5 meters later and waited another 15 minutes... this time with doors closed. Lot of angry people shouted but the driver pretended to not even listen, while the first 15 or so around his cabin where obvious Swedish. They didn't try to talk to him, just stood sheepishly around waiting for the situation to go away'and effectively shielding the guy from the rest of the angry mob in the back of the bus.

On my way back I walked and it took including security 10 minutes.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by bananahead
So...it can be done. But it’s not straight forward and you need a GOOD amount of time.

I checked in for my BA flight at terminal 2 and passed through security there. I was surprised how little there is going on at T2. Not a single flight was boarding so no airline staff to ask. There’s no information desk. And all of the terminal signs direct passengers to other terminals via the exit. I persevered a little though and found some stairs down to some bussing gates. And behold, there was a sign ‘bus transfer to terminal 5’ along with a request button to push. The bus came along in ten minutes and makes stops at T4 and T3 along the way.

I met my friend in the FANTASTIC little AMEX lounge within ‘Pontus’ restaurant and then made my way back. Again, this was a task. The drop off point I arrived at wasn’t the same place I’d catch the bus back. So I approached a passing SAS ground staff and asked where I should go. He said there was absolutely NO bus airside between terminals. And again, all signage directs you to the other terminals via the exit. I obviously knew there was so kept up asking. I found a SAS ‘service centre’ and the lady that helped me knew of it but had no idea where it was. She made some phone calls and found out the answer. It was similar to the T2 set up. Down a random set of stairs near a gate and then press the button to request the bus.

So for anyone travelling from T2 that has reason to go to T5 - follow the signs to gate 61 before passport control but after security and take the stairs down.

For those wanting to get from T5 to T2 - head for gate 10.

oh PS. The bus driver did not need to see a boarding pass for the transit and there was no further re entry security.

Thank you for posting a detailed report ^.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:02 pm

bananahead checked in at T2, so was already airside. I'll be flying BA LHR-ARN, landing at T2, and then have a bit over two hours before my QR flight leaves ARN-DOH out of T5. Is there any way to take the airside bus after landing at T2 from LHR? Or will I need to clear passport control/immigration, walk to T5, and re-clear security there?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Check the wiki in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-...on-merged.html
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
bananahead checked in at T2, so was already airside. I'll be flying BA LHR-ARN, landing at T2, and then have a bit over two hours before my QR flight leaves ARN-DOH out of T5. Is there any way to take the airside bus after landing at T2 from LHR? Or will I need to clear passport control/immigration, walk to T5, and re-clear security there?
I was in exactly the same situation outbound (LHR-ARN BA, ARN-DOH QR). It's really easy to just grab your bags, clear customs and walk to T5. No more than ten minutes, all indoors.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Thanks for the link. It seems even if I use the airside bus I would need to re-clear security (either in T2 before getting on the bus or in T5 after getting off). QR seems to depart from F gates.

Originally Posted by bananahead
I was in exactly the same situation outbound (LHR-ARN BA, ARN-DOH QR). It's really easy to just grab your bags, clear customs and walk to T5. No more than ten minutes, all indoors.
Only ten minutes? I was on a cancelled BA flight ARN-LHR last month and was rebooked onto an SAS flight. Had to run from T2 to T5 and it seemed to me to take far more than ten minutes, even running. Are you sure it's that quick? Maybe I'm misremembering.

I wonder if the landside route would be about as fast as trying the airside bus? Also wonder if I'd have time to stop at the Clarion hotel (which I think I'd pass en route) to drop off some stuff for my overnight on the return?

What was the T5 QR lounge like, bananahead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.