Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Newbie to SAS...need your help...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold

I am flying to Europe on Sept and am contemplating between SAS Premium Economy vs. Norwegian Premium Class.

I fly to Europe about 6 times per year but fly Iberia mostly.

Can anyone please comment on the Seats in Premium Economy on SAS? I am a big guy. 6'2" and 280 lbs. What matters to me is the seat Width.

Can anyone please comment on this?

Also Regarding upgrades to Business .... how ofter is Business available for a paid upgrade during Check in? or any other way thru reduced price promotion?

My route would be ORD to ARN..

Any other help or input is greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:52 am
aju

Programs: SK Diamond *G
With regards to seats, they are:
  • Economy: 44cm wide
  • Plus: 46,5cm wide
  • Business: 58,5-61cm wide (lie-flat, 196-202 cm long)
Some seat info: https://scandinaviantraveler.com/en/newcabin

By my experience, about 30-40% of flights have seats available for upgrade to Business at check-in. But again, it probably depends quite a lot on route and time of day.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Thank you very much.... did you ever fly Plus? Did you find the seats comfortable and wide?

also is Upgrade usually available at Checkin Counter? thanks
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by feysul
Also Regarding upgrades to Business .... how ofter is Business available for a paid upgrade during Check in? or any other way thru reduced price promotion?
Besides the upgrade at the check-in desk / gate there is the possibility to place a bid for an upgrade. You get to know the decision if the bid is accepted usually around 47 hours before departure.

More can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-...itches-ot.html
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Jainzar..... Thanks much!!!

How much is it usually at the Checkin Counter? i would be flying Chicago to Stockholm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:22 am

Thank you very much.... did you ever fly Plus? Did you find the seats comfortable and wide?
Despite the small difference in width compared to the seat in Go it feels much wider simply because you have your own armrests.
also is Upgrade usually available at Checkin Counter? thanks
I'd recommend to check the availability of seats in C a few hours before the flight. Usually it gives a good hint how full the cabin is.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:32 am

Upgrade via bid is almost always the better deal. Upgrade from Plus to Business for ORD-ARN or ORD-CPH at the counter is 35,000 EB points OR between $600-800 cash (the cash prices are based on the times I have inquired, so ymmv).

Sept flights should have at least a few, if not 5+, seats in Business. But better to upgrade online for more certainty and better deal.

Jainzar..... Thanks much!!!

How much is it usually at the Checkin Counter? i would be flying Chicago to Stockholm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Would definitely choose SK
- Direct flight
- In case of probs, they iwll actually take care of you
- You will reach gold fast and get priority, extra bagage, possibility of rare upgrades
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tgj1974
Would definitely choose SK
- Direct flight
- In case of probs, they iwll actually take care of you
- You will reach gold fast and get priority, extra bagage, possibility of rare upgrades
thanks very much. I agree with you on all your points. My concern is that the seat in Norwegian seems bigger.

I am really trying to have someone give me first hand feedback on the seat width on SAS Econ plus.

Thanks again
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:15 pm

thanks very much. I agree with you on all your points. My concern is that the seat in Norwegian seems bigger.

I am really trying to have someone give me first hand feedback on the seat width on SAS Econ plus.

Thanks again
What I can get from SeatGuru is that yes, the seat at D8 is a little bit wider, but the real jump is from Economy to PE since you get not only additional seat width for your butt but also your own decent sized armrests.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Thanks again
Is there a price difference between DY and SK?

This is my 2 cents regarding my own view and experience on Plus:

I'm not tall and not that big, and I wouldn't pay extra for Plus (tried it once). The seats are slightly bigger and my bump still hurts after a flight that's around 10 hours (CPH-PVG). I don't know if you are too tall to even make good use of the leg rest - Mr. isn't that tall and he thinks it's useless. The food was better but again if it's out of your pocket you can just fill yourself up with whatever you like. We travel out of our own pockets so I'd rather save up the $ for an extra trip or whatever than using it on a slightly wider seat.

Put it this way - we didn't pay DKK 1000 per ticket to get the Plus seats in Turkish Airlines (that was a while ago and they ditched it completely).
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:19 am

Thanks again
I am 6'6" and 270lbs, flew last year ARN to LAX return in SAS Plus and I felt very comfortable there - I think you will have enough space.
feysul likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom_19662
I am 6'6" and 270lbs, flew last year ARN to LAX return in SAS Plus and I felt very comfortable there - you will denfinitively have enough space.

Tom!! Thanks much. That’s what I need to know.

and thanks to everyone else that answered.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:30 am

Thanks again
If the choice is between DY and SK in premium cabins - it should be a no brainer. SK hands down. Far better product - and far far better on-time performance. And should something go wrong with your ORD-ARN flight, you would rerouted ORD-CPH-ARN with a few hours delays. In the case of DY - it wil be a few days delay.
feysul likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.