Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system from 25 April and SK ditches OT

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 27, 17, 5:04 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: oliver2002
Wiki Link
Rules for the new PLusgrade system starting 25APR2016:

Code:
 SAS Upgrade
 Effective 27APR16, SAS will offer a new way to upgrade via the partner Plusgrade, with an opportunity to bid for an upgrade on SK operated flights.

It is possible to bid for an upgrade on SAS home page, from time of booking until 48 hours before departure.  

The minimum price will be set by SAS and the bid will be confirmed or denied 36 hours before departure. 
 It is possible to cancel or change the bid until 48 hours before departure.
 There is no sign up or booking fee.
 Note: It is still possible to buy an upgrade at the airport, to a fixed price.
 Open 22 hours before departure.

Upgrade available for passengers holding SK/117-document with a confirmed reservation, on all SK operated flights, including wet lease.  
 Upgrading combinations

From SAS Go to SAS Plus on short haul and long haul flights
 From SAS Go to SAS Business on long haul flights only
 From SAS Plus to SAS Business on long haul flights only  

Note: If travelling with children, upgrade possible to SAS Plus and SAS Business. 
 If travelling with infant, upgrade not possible. 
 Booking classes

Short haul: A (SAS Plus)
 Long haul: Z (SAS Business) and A (SAS Plus)  

Note: The fare conditions of the original ticket remain unchanged.
 Form of payment

Credit card
 EuroBonus points  

Credit card or EuroBonus account will be debited when the upgrade is confirmed. 
 Benefits

According to the new service class, e.g.:

SAS Business check-in
 Fast Track security
 SAS Lounge access
 Priority boarding
 Meal and service according to the new service class
 EuroBonus points earned according to the new service class, when the bid is confirmed
 Note: Not valid for upgrades at the airport. 

Note: Baggage allowance according to the original booking class.
 Restrictions

Upgrade not accepted for:

N, G, X and F-class
 Travel Industry discounted fares (booking classes R and N)
 Charter flights   

Refund

Refund of upgrade permitted if flight is cancelled or at version change of aircraft. 
 Updated 27APR16 12.10
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 12, 16, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, SPG Gold

Sorry if this been mentioned before, but on the SK website

- Lists new upgrade system
- Mentions that OptionTown will no longer be available for upgrades

http://www.sas.se/en/travel-info/bef...chase-upgrade/

Looks like the carousel just stopped, always dubious of new and improved, esp. when it comes to SAS.

KF
Old Apr 12, 16, 2:08 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
It would be nice to know what happens to all existing OT upgrade requests for flights after April 24th.

I assume all existing OT requests will be denied.
Old Apr 12, 16, 2:33 am

Just requested a couple of upgrades to grab some more extra points

I guess the new upgrades will not be that generous with the point earnings as the old ones but hopefully it will be more reliable.
Old Apr 12, 16, 2:48 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Several here on FT have had the suspicion by SAS undermining/competing with the OP-program.

That is (probably) a big pity. I have earned quite good points by OT upgrading intra-Europa. Looking forward to mostly less good conditions...

The website says “OT upgrade is no longer possible.” Unclear if it is from “now” or from April 25th.

One small improved, though. Maybe. Website states, that standby upgrade is possible from “all bookingclasses”. I think that upgrade hasn’t been possible for award tickets?
Old Apr 12, 16, 3:09 am

Programs: SK *G
I have found the OT upgrades to be good value and hope that the new upgrades continues to be or similar value. I cannot blame SAS for trying to grab the business from OT, so there is no surprise that this happens. If they are merging the systems to a common platform, I would love to see that elites will get preference to the upgrade.

I guess all we can do is hope for a smooth transition. SAS IT has been improving for some time, althouh I will not hold my breath that things will work from the beginning.

Last edited by livious; Apr 12, 16 at 3:17 am
Old Apr 12, 16, 3:38 am

Programs: SAS/A* DIAMOND/GOLD, GHA Black, HHonors Diamond
Bullocks. There goes my requalifying for Diamond. But I guess that's the point.
Old Apr 12, 16, 3:42 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Is this not just going back to the time before OT?

I guess the EBD/P courtesy upgrades will still be there in addition....
Old Apr 12, 16, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Is this not just going back to the time before OT?
Seemingly/hopeful not.

SAS calls it "new and improved".
Old Apr 12, 16, 4:06 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha View Post
Seemingly/hopeful not.

SAS calls it "new and improved".
I remember several introductions of "new and improved" meals in European business class...
Old Apr 12, 16, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I remember several introductions of "new and improved" meals in European business class...
Old Apr 12, 16, 4:58 am

I guess it will mimic the (smart) bid process as done at LH group airlines - which would be real bad.
Old Apr 12, 16, 5:14 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
I guess it will mimic the (smart) bid process as done at LH group airlines - which would be real bad.
Does LH upgrade your fare class?

I know BA upgrades the earnings along with a purchased upgrade through their system. Which is not an unimportant part of the process.
Old Apr 12, 16, 5:23 am

Yes, they upgrade the fare class to P, which is deep discounted business fare which earns only 100% on most FFPs.

So, it could be a good deal from 0% or 25% to 100% but certainly not from a full earning economy fare up to deep discounted business.

What I don't like most at LH group system(s) is that a) the minimum you can bid is often enough already really expensive (often double the OT price with SK) and b) it is even more non-deterministic if your bid will be accepted.

I hope SK will at least allow instant confirmed upgrades for points, e.g. for EBG and EBD.
Old Apr 12, 16, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Again, perhaps I'm being naive, maybe there is (still) a sale on or this has already been discussed, but...

On intra-Nordic itineraries, the price of Plus has plummeted to just a bit more than Go. Perhaps it was always like this on some routes, but on the trips I make regularly it has only happened since March.

It almost looks like it is going to a fixed offset above Go, like Go Light is a fixed offset below Go. It also looks very competitive – compared to using OT to upgrade later, it is very cheap - almost worth it sometimes for the points themselves (if one values them fairly generously).

So maybe the future is to do this only with fare difference upgrades to Plus, at least within the Nordic countries or even Europe.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 12, 16, 5:49 am

For a lot of my flights Plus has been just marginal more expensive than Go. Problem is that I can't buy Plus since the customer only reimburses Go tickets...

I solved this with OT for now. Will need to see how this goes with the new system.

Search this Thread