Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilot strike warning: SAS Norway strike from 11 Sep. 2017.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilot strike warning: SAS Norway strike from 11 Sep. 2017.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Hmm. I understand you somewhat. I also think that this is a better instrument for low paid job with little offers, and strong employers market. OTOH, I myself work in a field, where strikes are essentially never seen, but people are commonly exploited. I think we are decently paid, but there is more to job than salary. It is my understanding that this strike is not about money.

In the meantime the good news (at least for me) is that the strike has been pushed by 5 days, to September 16th: http://www.business.dk/transport/sas...e-med-fem-dage (in Danish)

Edit: This is valid for the Danish strike. Not clear whether also for Norwegian.

It is also unclear for me whether the strike affects only the mainline or also the production companies, especially Cimbair. It does seem to me that this is the mainline thing only.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Do you think what are the changes to prosctively call get a reroute already when strike is not officially announced. Scheduled to fly 3 SK flights on 11/9 2x SH and 1x LH. And do they book to OW carrier on request?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Furry
Do you think what are the changes to prosctively call get a reroute already when strike is not officially announced. Scheduled to fly 3 SK flights on 11/9 2x SH and 1x LH. And do they book to OW carrier on request?
You will not get rerouted to another carrier before the strike is a reality. Eventually they will release a waiver for rebooking if the strikes go ahead, and you can start be flexible. But until your specific flights are directly affected, they are more than highly unlikely to book you on a OW flight.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:18 am

And the last news was that the strike shall be delayed, so your days are most likely unaffected.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:21 am

one more thing: getting onto other carriers is much more likely if you are at the airport than on the hotline. Quite often the airport agents get stronger waivers, so if bad comes to worse, and you call, and you don't get what you need, you may gamble and try at the airport again. A few times a call center told me that I should do this, because they cannot rebook me to another airline. Then the airport just did.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Sorry, in Danish only. But the Danish pilots and SAS has reached an agreement. So no strike for the Danish pilots.

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/sas...enskomstaftale
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Norwegian media reports that two (!) pilots will go on strike if the negotiations falls through during this weekend. However, sas.no states that normal operations will carry out September 11th and September 12th.
Travellers may find updated info here over the weekend, I assume:
https://www.sas.se/en/traffic-information/message/

Last edited by Hilde; Sep 8, 2017 at 4:31 am Reason: Edit: typo
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two on strike, that is very symbolic.

I hope SK appreciate that the pilots in their disagreement with management is still trying to avoid hurting the company.... Be inspired Air France.
Hilde likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by Hilde
Norwegian media reports that two (!) pilots will go on strike if the negotiations falls through during this weekend. However, sas.no states that normal operations will carry out September 11th and September 12th.
Travellers may find updated info here over the weekend, I assume:
Thanks for the update - is the SK strike just for the days in the information message or might it be on-going?

I'm flying OSL-ARN on 20/9, then ARN-MMX on 22/9 and finally CPH-LHR on 24/9

C.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoweyB
Thanks for the update - is the SK strike just for the days in the information message or might it be on-going?

I'm flying OSL-ARN on 20/9, then ARN-MMX on 22/9 and finally CPH-LHR on 24/9

C.
CPH-LHR is likely to be managed by Danish pilots, so that should be safe. It seems from the message that by now it is just the Norwegian pilots that has a strike warning, so I would be fairly relaxed about the dates you are mentioning. The pilot strikes are rarely long and protracted on SK.

The strikes that made SK infamous at a point, which by now is a long while ago, was the Danish ground crew and the Danish cabin crew. But it has been a long while since we have any significant strikes on SK.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Thanks CPH Flyer - that's reassuring. It will be my first time flying with SK.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Be inspired Air France.
^
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Negotiations broke down last night, so a strike will carry out. Latest information from SAS is that there will be no disruptions in traffic Monday September 11th through Wednesday September 13th.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:15 am
KRS

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Two on strike, that is very symbolic.

I hope SK appreciate that the pilots in their disagreement with management is still trying to avoid hurting the company.... Be inspired Air France.
Well the 2 pilots was the initial plan, from Thursday it is ALL of them! (SAS Norway)

(...)SAS-pilotenes forhandlingsleder mener arbeidsgiveren driver med «hersketaktikk». Denne uken tas alle norske flyvere ut i streik etter et brudd på overtid.(...)

Source (in Norwegian):
https://www.dn.no/nyheter/2017/09/11...ik-fra-torsdag
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by KRS
Well the 2 pilots was the initial plan, from Thursday it is ALL of them! (SAS Norway)
Now I'm really glad I cancelled my KEF-OSL flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.