FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   SAS pilot strike warning: SAS Norway strike from 11 Sep. 2017. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1863888-sas-pilot-strike-warning-sas-norway-strike-11-sep-2017-a.html)

groovyfly Aug 29, 2017 4:07 am

SAS pilot strike warning: SAS Norway strike from 11 Sep. 2017.

Caught this story yesterday that a possible strike is coming into effect as of 11/09.

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2017/08/...strike-threat/

If the strike comes into effect, how long do these things ususally last? I'm positioning to Brussels on the 15/9 with SK and wonder if I should look into booking alternative flights.

What precautions would skilled FT'ers take?

CPH-Flyer Aug 29, 2017 6:57 am

The pilot strikes have mostly been relatively short over the years. And I think the pilots do know that a long term strike could kill SK off, so in the end a touchy balance for both sides....

To quote a favourite movie of mine "Let's wait it out"

DoTheBartMan Aug 29, 2017 9:17 am

Summer vacation period over, time to go on strike...

CPH-Flyer Aug 29, 2017 9:27 am

Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan (Post 28750496)
Summer vacation period over, time to go on strike...

That being said, I am a bit surprised that the first m reaction of this kind by staff and unions to the new bases have only come this late. But partially the article has the answer to that as well. Not agreeing with the reaction, just wondering that it did not happen earlier.

kauppias Aug 30, 2017 4:12 am

Does SAS do well on rerouting on alternative airlines during strikes? Or do they try to stick to only very limited options?

CPH-Flyer Aug 30, 2017 4:20 am

Originally Posted by kauppias (Post 28754461)
Does SAS do well on rerouting on alternative airlines during strikes? Or do they try to stick to only very limited options?

They normally do very well. Though it has been a while since the last time, so things are not that recent in that observation. Generally though, I find SK very good St meeting their obligations.

kauppias Aug 30, 2017 6:37 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 28754478)
They normally do very well. Though it has been a while since the last time, so things are not that recent in that observation. Generally though, I find SK very good St meeting their obligations.

That's good to hear... :) I am doing a. Four day run soon out of pure lunacy to EBD and the last day is right at the beginning of the proposed strike period :)

CPH-Flyer Aug 30, 2017 7:12 am

Originally Posted by kauppias (Post 28754805)
That's good to hear... :) I am doing a. Four day run soon out of pure lunacy to EBD and the last day is right at the beginning of the proposed strike period :)

Just remember that if you are rerouted from SK to a non earning airline, you can still get EB credit for the original SK flight.

Carpacchio Aug 30, 2017 7:34 am

Hmm - flying CPH - ORD on Sept 10. Let's see :)

kauppias Aug 30, 2017 11:21 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 28754961)
Just remember that if you are rerouted from SK to a non earning airline, you can still get EB credit for the original SK flight.

Indeed I am already rerouted since they cancelled MIA-OSL flights so will have to retro credit no matter what but my concern is flying in plus there are not that many decent options...

LH ba AA VS come to mind

AStarr Aug 31, 2017 4:03 am

This is making me nervous as well as I have a few flights in September. Never dealt with a strike before. It was bound to happen eventually.

I don't really care how I get to/from where I'm going, so long as I get there. I think the only issue might be is I have advanced booked trains for 2 of them that might end up sacrificed if things don't run on schedule.

Grace B Aug 31, 2017 8:35 pm

I had a couple of UA award tickets on SK for mid September, CPH-KEF-OSL, but I didn't fancy the possibility of being stranded in Iceland, so I have cancelled them and rebooked for a few days in Istanbul on TK.

That will be the last time I make a booking on SK (emergencies excepted), particularly as they have also withdrawn access to third party lounges.

CPH-Flyer Aug 31, 2017 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Grace B (Post 28762576)
I had a couple of UA award tickets on SK for mid September, CPH-KEF-OSL, but I didn't fancy the possibility of being stranded in Iceland, so I have cancelled them and rebooked for a few days in Istanbul on TK.

That will be the last time I make a booking on SK (emergencies excepted), particularly as they have also withdrawn access to third party lounges.

The risk of actually being stranded in Iceland was probably very limited. SK will reroute on any available airline.

Grace B Sep 1, 2017 12:45 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 28762709)
The risk of actually being stranded in Iceland was probably very limited. SK will reroute on any available airline.

Yes, that's fair enough, but I didn't want to take the risk with hotel bookings, ground transportation, flight connections, etc. So I opted for a clean break, even though it will cost somewhat more. Just one of the joys of travelling.

FlyingMoose Sep 1, 2017 8:26 am

Unfortunately this form of legal exotrtion still exists here. Absolutely disgusting. I hope SK keeps track and fires every pilot who strikes once it is over.

I can't believe that these kind of disruptions to critical everyday infrastructure are allowed. Especially for jobs making in excess of 1 Mln SEK a year. Its not like outsourcing jobs over employment cost doesn't happen in all other industries.