Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Tall guy flying SAS for 1st time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,
Company booked me an economy class ticket to Milan in October from the Midwest here in the States. I'm 6'4 and 300lbs (58 chest, o-line size) so needless to say I have anxiety about getting stuck in a regular economy or middle seat cause I simply don't fit.

I got my seats all situated (exit row, aisle seats) and didn't have to pay anything (Star Alliance status helpes maybe?) then was prompted on the next screen they could move my seats if need (I get other carriers do this too) be but something about it made me do some research and I found some folks saying online that SAS is notorious for moving your seat assignments around. Anyone experienced this or heard this regarding SAS? I have Gold Status with United/Star Alliance so have some status but nothing specifically on SAS.

My other options for cheap flights were LOT and AER Lingus. Did I choose right going with SAS for this trip? How concerned should I be that they may move, my seats around and stick me somewhere I won't be able to sit?

Thanks for the help. Glad to be a new member.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Going to ask a MOD to move this to the appropriate forum.

I'm guessing you're on the A340 from ORD to CPH and then on to MXP?

Both the A330s & A340s by SK have an SAS Plus option that you would do well to look into. Standard economy on SK goes 2x4x2 with ~32" pitch so getting a window/ aisle in the 2x section would be a good idea.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, HeelsFan
I am moving this over to the SAS Forum. Please follow there
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by HeelsFan
Hey guys,
Company booked me an economy class ticket to Milan in October from the Midwest here in the States. I'm 6'4 and 300lbs (58 chest, o-line size) so needless to say I have anxiety about getting stuck in a regular economy or middle seat cause I simply don't fit.

I got my seats all situated (exit row, aisle seats) and didn't have to pay anything (Star Alliance status helpes maybe?) then was prompted on the next screen they could move my seats if need (I get other carriers do this too) be but something about it made me do some research and I found some folks saying online that SAS is notorious for moving your seat assignments around. Anyone experienced this or heard this regarding SAS? I have Gold Status with United/Star Alliance so have some status but nothing specifically on SAS.

My other options for cheap flights were LOT and AER Lingus. Did I choose right going with SAS for this trip? How concerned should I be that they may move, my seats around and stick me somewhere I won't be able to sit?

Thanks for the help. Glad to be a new member.
Hi HeelsFan, and welcome to FlyerTalk!

I wouldn't worry too much about being moved around. I don't think SAS is more 'notorious' for this than any other big carrier. Furthermore, I think if you have chosen exit row or bulkhead seats, you will be fine. I'm just an inch or two shorter than yourself and don't experience any particular problems if I'm flying SAS in longhaul Y - other than it being longhaul economy, of course

One can 'bid' for an upgrade to SAS Plus or Business, or (subject to availability) pay cash at checkin or the gate if you do want more legroom. SAS Plus is their premium economy product, with comparable legroom and personal space to domestic first class in the US, although the food still isn't special. It's a separate class, unlike Economy Plus on UA or MCE on AA, so you always have to pay (unless upgraded for operational reasons).

Bear in mind with Star Alliance Gold status, you get lounge access (where offered) in Europe, and (according to the UA website) you will also get lounge access in the US as you are on an international itinerary. Assuming Yoshi212 guessed your itinerary correctly, this means you can definitely get into the SAS lounges at ORD and CPH, and perhaps a United Club if your journey starts somewhere else and connects at ORD.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for getting me moved guys. Sorry about that.

​Looks like I'm Newark to Oslo outbound and Copenhagen to O'Hare for the long legs. A330 with a 2/4/2 sounds right.

The only one I question is the return (9hourrs) I'm in the 2 configuration in the bulkhead which usually is OK.

I don't hear anyone saying there is anything wrong with SAS or they move your seats anymorr than another airline. With that in mind I'll stick with my current itinerary, thanks for the feedback guys.

Ill also check the premium economy class seats but they are usually 1000 or more to move into that cabin and my company won't pay it, frustrating but I try to pick my battles.

Last edited by HeelsFan; Jun 2, 2017 at 12:30 am Reason: Additional note
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:39 am

Only word of caution is that the bulk head and emergency exit seats are slightly narrower that the regular economy seats - as the table is in the arm rest. So you get more leg space - but pay with a slightly narrower seat
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:01 am
BCC

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
On the A330 from EWR / OSL book row 30. It is the first row of economy behind the Plus section. It has the best leg room on the plane beside the emergency exit (Row 41) which is located very close to the toilets and crowds often form there. The bulkhead row 42 middle doesn't have great leg room and that is often where they sit families that need a baby bassinet during the flight.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Yeah I hate the narrower seat but as long as it comparable to American/UA it should be OK. I'm row 30 one way and then in that 41 (2 configure) outbound.

Sounds like I should be good.

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by HeelsFan
(snip) ...I found some folks saying online that SAS is notorious for moving your seat assignments around. Anyone experienced this or heard this regarding SAS?
Aside from a plane change, I think your ASR should be fine. SAS plays aroundn with size of the Plus cabin on short hauls, but this won't be the case for the A340s. Outside of upgrading to C, the bulkheads and exit rows are the best options for leg room. If I was your size, I would not consider an upgrade to Plus if you have the extra leg room in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.