Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Youth Fares [FAQ & Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by livious
We started tracking youth tickets this week and suddenly two seats showed up, so we opened a bottle of wine to celebrate banishing the kids for 4 weeks to my parents. Due to SAS's crappy website, we needed to open up another bottle before we could finally book the tickets.
Are you sure that it wasn't that first bottle of wine that was responsible for your "booking problems"?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Are you sure that it wasn't that first bottle of wine that was responsible for your "booking problems"?
I think Homer Simpson said it best...

The wine probably did not help, until we were tipsy enough that the SAS's website finally made sense
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:23 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Use SAS Youth Tickets To Attain Star Alliance Lifetime Gold Status
Old May 26, 2018, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Quite possible, though in practical terms I am sure you are going to find very few takers.

In the long run, I think SK will win on the few people doing it. Once they have LTG, they are more likely to select *A and SK, and also crediting the *A to EB. So financially I believe it would be a win win..
Old May 27, 2018, 4:09 am

Imagine getting AMEX and Mastercard CC in Sweden and ka boom you basically need to fly only one return trip to get gold
Old May 27, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mylabel
Imagine getting AMEX and Mastercard CC in Sweden and ka boom you basically need to fly only one return trip to get gold
One return in business class, this was about youth tickets But yes, one could reduce the number of flights needed, though there would not be a great likelihood of anyone on a student economy being approved for these cards. And starting at 15 to make it while youth tickets are an option would mean waiting a while to try for the cards
Old May 28, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The plan sounds nice - but there's no guarantee that:
1. SK will continue to sell dirt cheap youth tickets;
2. Have the same earning on youth tickets;
3. SK will continue with LT membership/water down the benefits by pushing out a new level - look at Marriott.

I'd say if you are happened to be close to LTG, go for it.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
The plan sounds nice - but there's no guarantee that:
1. SK will continue to sell dirt cheap youth tickets;
2. Have the same earning on youth tickets;
3. SK will continue with LT membership/water down the benefits by pushing out a new level - look at Marriott.

I'd say if you are happened to be close to LTG, go for it.
The risk of what happens to life time status in the 10 years it takes to attain it is always a big question mark in any program. Which is why I believe it is never worth planning to achieve, but just take gracefully accept should it happen.

Living in a non Marriott credit card market life time status has become significantly easier with Marriott. Due to the point requirements next to the nights, I could not even make life time silver, I will be lifetime gold under the new system. Of course old life time gold Marriott side is equivalent to new life time platinum. But that is just a name change for same, achievement is still significantly easier, for those without the credit card option. And incidentally more difficult for the credit card holders. That was a long OT... Apologies
Old May 29, 2018, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Something else too with trying too hard to buy lifetime status:

The cost to get it according to OP's plan is 100000+ NOK. It's a lot of money if you are only doing MR. You can buy a lot of lounge access and extra bags. I haven't got much luck getting upgraded as *G.

​​​​​You will need more than 1 *G to get lounge access if you have a family. You might be able to get away when you only have one small child. Right now SAS gives access to families in their own lounge so you are covered as long as you are using their lounges.

As for Mariott, we haven't been a member (7 years) long enough to have the points and nights to become lifetime status members (we could have been if we poured money into buying nights and points). We chose not to because it's a lot of money for maybe something. We will see what happens with the next devaluation. I'm considering using the points for travel packages.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: TK Gold
If I may digress a little bit, it seems like the fare for Youth ticket for OSL-HKG in summer is blocked by SK and they have a higher fare - does anyone know whether they have any blackout dates? (e.g. in winter/easter..etc?)
Old May 29, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
If I may digress a little bit, it seems like the fare for Youth ticket for OSL-HKG in summer is blocked by SK and they have a higher fare - does anyone know whether they have any blackout dates? (e.g. in winter/easter..etc?)
Summer vacation period could also just be sold out for youth fares, it is not like every seat on the plane is available at these prices
Old May 30, 2018, 12:55 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Konismarck
Oringinal post at: https://www.albertaviation.com/singl...me-Gold-Status
  • Do you want to become a Star Alliance lifetime gold member before hitting mid-life crisis?
  • Do you believe that it would be financially-draining even though if you had the energy?
  • Do you think it would be an impossible flying schedule even if you can pull off the money?
Well, worry not, Albert is here to enlighten you.

Are you also happened to be Young, Dumb and kind of Broke?

Young, by young, I mean you have to be over 12 years old but under 26. In this way, you fit into the eligible bracket perfectly to purchase SAS youth ticket.

Dumb, by dumb, I mean you sort of have to fly exclusively with SAS in order to get the most Eurobonus points, as it would be more cost-effective to fly long haul, thus you would have to or from fly only the following destinations to get 4500 Eurobonus points each segment: Hongkong, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Shanghai, Tokyo.

Broke(kind of), by broke, I mean either you are still a student or you just entered into the job market, or maybe you are an established winner in life and are looking into this for your offsprings. SAS youth ticket on long haul generally cost you around 2600NOK (320USD) return trip include one transfer between the Scandinavian hubs.

So, by now, you would probably fit part of the criteria above or if you are a lucky .......you would fit all of it.

Here's the cheapest possible plan:

Year 1:

Fly five return long haul tickets to one of the six destinations with one transfer within Scandinavia.

For example: Oslo - Stockholm - Hong Kong - Stockholm - Oslo

Do this for five times within one qualifying year.

(Bear in mind everyone's qualifying period is different starting from the month you sign up)

You first year Eurobonus points earning would be something like this:

(4500+250) x 2 x 5 = 47500 Basic Points

Your first year's cost to flying solely for points would be:

2600 NOK x 5 = 13,000 NOK equivalent to 1591 USD.

However, this does not include ground transportation and hotel costs, and other living costs like food etc. In Scandinavia, 13,000 NOK is fairly easy to pull off even for a young student, a weekend job for two months or a summer job for two weeks can easily get you that; at least in Norway.

Year 2:

Fly four return long haul tickets to one of the six destinations with one transfer within Scandinavia.

You would only need to fly four returns as you would hit gold status for the first year, and you would be able to earn 25% extra basic points based on that, yes, basic points that will qualify for your status next year.

Your second year Eurobonus points earning:

(4500+250) x 125% x 2 x 4 = 47500 Basic Points.

Second year's cost:

2600 NOK x 4 = 10400 NOK equivalent to 1273 USD.

You would be able to enjoy fast track, priority boarding and lounge benefits throughout your travel from the second year and it would cost you less as well. You might even get courtesy upgrades for free from SAS go to Plus or even Business if you are extremely lucky.

Year 3 -10:

Continue year 2 plan for another 8 years, and then Lifetime Star Alliance Gold Status will be yours to keep forever.

The Reality:

Of course you can't do that for 10 years,You would have to be 15 now if you want to do this for ten years straight, so the more practical thing to is just to do this as long as you can enjoy so.

Yes, you might find this article a little bit click-baiting, but think of it as this, you could be in high school or university right now, and you would want to get a head-start in ensuring comfort and flexibility in your career life, so after turning 26, you might find yourself in a much better position among your colleagues when going on hectic business trips.

- Why Yes I do!
- Lol - Totally
- Probably

Yay Albert to the Rescue!

I am young, dumb and kind of broke! I fit all of those criteria!

Seriously though, I was waiting for this as I'm currently in my first year of trying to achieve gold status!
This looks very helpful and I'm really thinking about doing that. The only problem: I'm based in ZRH. Are student tickets available ex ZRH, becuase if not that would add another 300-400 bucks to each flight :P
Are student tickets available in Business Class or SAS Plus? (I know I'm kinda counterdicting the kind of broke statement)

Until summer I'm currently trying to get my flights sheduled in that way that I have earned around 20k miles (some really really expensive ex ZRH Business Class Round trips with as many stopovers I can get them changed to). Leaving me with another 25k I need to get until February next year.
So yay! I'm thinking about getting the remeining 25k with those student tickets!

Not all heros wear capes...
Old May 30, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
- Why Yes I do!
- Lol - Totally
- Probably

Yay Albert to the Rescue!

I am young, dumb and kind of broke! I fit all of those criteria!

Seriously though, I was waiting for this as I'm currently in my first year of trying to achieve gold status!
This looks very helpful and I'm really thinking about doing that. The only problem: I'm based in ZRH. Are student tickets available ex ZRH, becuase if not that would add another 300-400 bucks to each flight :P
Are student tickets available in Business Class or SAS Plus? (I know I'm kinda counterdicting the kind of broke statement)

Until summer I'm currently trying to get my flights sheduled in that way that I have earned around 20k miles (some really really expensive ex ZRH Business Class Round trips with as many stopovers I can get them changed to). Leaving me with another 25k I need to get until February next year.
So yay! I'm thinking about getting the remeining 25k with those student tickets!

Unfortunately no, Youth ticket is only avliable within Scandinavia, that means there will be a bit extra cost for you, but I think it's still worth it, and No, we can't have "entiltled" people like me flying in business or even SAS plus for cheap and jetsetting around the world.

Nice it actually helped someone.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Those flights generally don't sold out all the time, sometimes I just searched it 2 days after, and if they had poor load factor,or they sold enough Business or Plus tickets to make a profit. they will open it for youth fares again.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:25 am

some really really expensive ex ZRH Business Class Round trips
That somehow contradicts the rest of your post as it sounds like you wouldn’t need those discounted youth tickets in the first instance?

The only problem: I'm based in ZRH. Are student tickets available ex ZRH, becuase if not that would add another 300-400 bucks to each flight
Not a problem if you’re in a position to strike some sort of deal with mummy or daddy and get them to pay for the ZRH-Scandinavia flights. How does that sound?

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.