Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Youth Fares [FAQ & Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Youth Fares [FAQ & Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I was looking at the website, you have to be logged in as a Eurobonus member to book a youth fare. If they allow you to book for yourself outside of the age range.... Well, then internal audit should fry a few people.
I don't know how it is now but when I booked 3 months ago on the phone no EB number was required.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I don't know how it is now but when I booked 3 months ago on the phone no EB number was required.
Well, for phone and (O)TA bookings it is of course difficult to be logged in as an EB member. But even when logged in, you can use another FFP to credit to. So EB is never required for flying, but is required for booking at the SK website.

Were you asked for ID at check-in or boarding to verify that you were eligible?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:24 am

Were you asked for ID at check-in or boarding to verify that you were eligible?
Never on European routes, even less when using the automated gates. I'm not sure the GA even sees the booking class or any hint to double check. Might be different on long haul but still unlikely they single you out.

Wouldn't bet on it though
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
Never on European routes, even less when using the automated gates. I'm not sure the GA even sees the booking class or any hint to double check. Might be different on long haul but still unlikely they single you out.

Wouldn't bet on it though
Normal passengers are not asked, but for youth tickets? No different than for certain connections you are called to the gate to have your passport swiped if you have done OLCI. So am curious to hear from a recent flier on a youth ticket what happens. I know that they generally check the 2 year limit for toddlers.

(Fassy, I am assuming you are above the youth ticket age limit, and thus flying on regular tickets)
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:27 am

(Fassy, I am assuming you are above the youth ticket age limit, and thus flying on regular tickets)
I don't think I'm too old... I'm still 21. At least in my mind

Anyway, my nieces are definitely way below 26 and have never been called out traveling on a youth ticket.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think I'm too old... I'm still 21. At least in my mind

Anyway, my nieces are definitely way below 26 and have never been called out traveling on a youth ticket.
Maybe SK is the trusting kind of company....
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
I've never been asked to confirm my age on a youth ticket (and neither has my 28 year-old friend who flew on one)
Old May 22, 2016, 11:21 am

Just saw something interesting. Boarding here in HAM on HAM-CPH the boarding scanner got a red light for pax boarding before me and he had to show his passport to prove his age.

Before boarding a family of five was called to the gate to show their IDs.

Not sure if this is a new procedure or the contracted HAM agents are just very strict...
Old May 22, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just saw something interesting. Boarding here in HAM on HAM-CPH the boarding scanner got a red light for pax boarding before me and he had to show his passport to prove his age.

Before boarding a family of five was called to the gate to show their IDs.

Not sure if this is a new procedure or the contracted HAM agents are just very strict...
The family is most likely a case of online check-in travelling to a country where the airline is required to scan the passport. I see that in airports all the time on many airlines. I have even had it happen if the airline on a short haul did not scan my passport when connecting to a long haul where it is required.

Scan as is in, swipe the machine readable code.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:57 am

The family is most likely a case of online check-in travelling to a country where the airline is required to scan the passport. I see that in airports all the time on many airlines. I have even had it happen if the airline on a short haul did not scan my passport when connecting to a long haul where it is required.

Scan as is in, swipe the machine readable code.
Might be true for the family, looked Asian, probably Thai.

For the guy gotten the red light I clearly heard the GA tell him she needs to see the ID to verify Youth Ticket eligibility.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might be true for the family, looked Asian, probably Thai.

For the guy gotten the red light I clearly heard the GA tell him she needs to see the ID to verify Youth Ticket eligibility.
I wonder what happens if he is not? They charge him the difference up to the current non youth fare, or just off load him...
Old May 24, 2016, 1:55 am

I wonder what happens if he is not? They charge him the difference up to the current non youth fare, or just off load him...
I would guess deny boarding. I don't think the GA wants to take the time to rebook a ticket for someone trying to cheat the airline?

Last edited by fassy; May 24, 2016 at 2:00 am
Old May 24, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I would guess deny boarding. I don't think the GA wants to take the time to rebook a ticket for someone trying to cheat the airline?
Some people make genuine mistakes, you don't want to leave people stranded and get negative publicity because of it. Especially not in another country.

There have been reports about the Swedish Railway (SJ) company "off-loading" passengers without tickets or with invalid tickets and that backfired well beyond expectation.

Nevertheless, I'm also interested to find out what would happen.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Especially not in another country.
Which also means you have contracted staff. Especially in Germany they will stick to "ze rulez". Technically, you wouldn't have ticket to board the flight and I guess nobody (at least in Germany) would pin that to the airline, especially not if it is very hard (close to impossible) to book a Youth Fare by accident...

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
There have been reports about the Swedish Railway (SJ) company "off-loading" passengers without tickets or with invalid tickets and that backfired well beyond expectation.
Yes, happens here in Germany also on the train network and regional busses. The only time it gets media attention and a public out-cry is if they trow out a kid somewhere in the nowhere on a trip from e.g. Hamburg to Munich because the parents (or grandparents) bought a wrong ticket or boarded the kid on the wrong train.

For any adult travelling without a valid ticket, getting fined(*) and thrown off the train is quite accepted.

(*) quite funny side-story here is that the German railways uses a third party collection agency which also runs one of the three large German credit scoring agencies.... traveling without a railway ticket has an direct impact on your credit rating. Crazy, right?
Old May 24, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
For any adult travelling without a valid ticket, getting fined(*) and thrown off the train is quite accepted.
Harsh and unnecessary, simply provide people the option to buy the correct ticket on the spot and it should be solved. Mistakes happen.

If they aren't carrying money on them that's another story and then they are intentionally breaking the rules. That's a whole different issue compared to someone having a wrong ticket.

(*) quite funny side-story here is that the German railways uses a third party collection agency which also runs one of the three large German credit scoring agencies.... traveling without a railway ticket has an direct impact on your credit rating. Crazy, right?
Surprising a country like Germany allows those kind of fraudulent practices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.