Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Plusgrade is no longer in use by SAS. They run their own bid process as of February 2nd 2022.

These are the new terms and conditions: https://www.flysas.com/travel/upgrad...rade-tc-en.pdf.

As a major change to the flow, successful bids no longer earn points from the upgraded booking class, but gets a fixed number of additional points depending on the regions of the flight:

Within and between Sweden, Denmark (incl The Faeroe Islands), Norway, Finland, Estonia, and Latvia
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 250 Basispoints
To, from, and within other European countries:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 500 Basispoints
To and from Asia and the US:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Plus to SAS Business: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Go to SAS Business: 3000 Basispoints
Print Wikipost

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:19 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Did you search this thread? Pretty sure there data points of people getting upgraded after checkin.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:28 am

SK931 CPH -LAX
Bid 291€ SAS PE to Business
Accepted 24h before departure
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:08 am

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jlo13
I figured as much based on this thread, but that doesn’t really answer my question Are you saying just to wait until I get an email to check in?
AFAIK, the status of check in has never ever been a consideration of upgrading, regardless of the systems that SAS has used over the years.

However, probably more thmn a few people here (myself included) feel like SAS IT is always on the edge of imploding or greatness, so we wait until the email decision or check the app right when bidding closes to check in.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by qwertyx64
SK931 CPH -LAX
Bid 291€ SAS PE to Business
Accepted 24h before departure
If you don't mind sharing, what was the minimum bid on your flight? I'm asking because mine for LAX-CPH in a few days was at $500 weeks ago, then dropped to $300. I placed a bet of a little over $300. Several days later it went back up to $500 and has stayed there for weeks. Do I still have a chance with my bid in the $300s?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by msadihov
If you don't mind sharing, what was the minimum bid on your flight? I'm asking because mine for LAX-CPH in a few days was at $500 weeks ago, then dropped to $300. I placed a bet of a little over $300. Several days later it went back up to $500 and has stayed there for weeks. Do I still have a chance with my bid in the $300s?
Min bid was 270€
Return flight have min bid 700€.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by qwertyx64
Min bid was 270€
Return flight have min bid 700€.
Thank you! Now, I'm wondering if they'll even consider my bid of $325 if they have raised the min to $500.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:26 am

CPH-LAX changes a lot depending on loads on day of departure, a colleague just had 70 000 points rejected bid from PE to C, cabin was booked out day before departure.

Return flight same, 80 000 points bid declined LAX-CPH. Bookings seem to be pretty good on many business heavy days like Monday outbound and Friday inbound.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:32 am

Programs: UA1K
Anyone know if it’s possible to use a travel voucher to pay for an upgrade bid if you call in to customer service??
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by jlo13
I figured as much based on this thread, but that doesn’t really answer my question Are you saying just to wait until I get an email to check in?

sorry. Just coming back to the thread. I realize your flight has passed but for future reference for others. It does not matter if you are checked in. They will change the electronic boarding pass to reflect the upgrade so you can check in 24 hours prior and it will not impact your upgrade.
fwfdan and lensovet like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:43 am

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
Anyone know if it’s possible to use a travel voucher to pay for an upgrade bid if you call in to customer service??
Only credit credit cards or points AFAIK with the bidding process. The decision-making on who wins a bid may be a bit manual, but the payment once the decision is made is instant and automatic. If the payment fails for any reason they cancel your winning bid and just give it to the next person. There is no chance to contact them about it. I think that process would make trying to call and give them a voucher difficult.

Although that would be a great idea if they allowed you to enter a voucher number as a payment option someday.

You can always call or use the chat function to see if they now allow vouchers, but they didn't as of Nov 2023.
unitedwildcat likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
Only credit credit cards or points AFAIK with the bidding process. The decision-making on who wins a bid may be a bit manual, but the payment once the decision is made is instant and automatic. If the payment fails for any reason they cancel your winning bid and just give it to the next person. There is no chance to contact them about it. I think that process would make trying to call and give them a voucher difficult.

Although that would be a great idea if they allowed you to enter a voucher number as a payment option someday.

You can always call or use the chat function to see if they now allow vouchers, but they didn't as of Nov 2023.
I did end up calling and was told no. I had to cancel the return portion of an SAS flight and of course they refunded the voucher before refunding my credit card 🙄
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I did end up calling and was told no. I had to cancel the return portion of an SAS flight and of course they refunded the voucher before refunding my credit card 🙄
If you paid by a voucher, of course that is not going back to your credit card. Refund to original form of payment.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you paid by a voucher, of course that is not going back to your credit card. Refund to original form of payment.
it was a partially flown ticket, so they could have considered the voucher used and then put the entire partial refund in my card, is what I’m saying
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
it was a partially flown ticket, so they could have considered the voucher used and then put the entire partial refund in my card, is what I’m saying
The devil is in the details, how much of the original fare was covered by a voucher, and how much of the original fare was actually refunded?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The devil is in the details, how much of the original fare was covered by a voucher, and how much of the original fare was actually refunded?
the voucher was $6 and they refunded me $100+

editing to add: I know it’s only $6 and I’ve certainly gotten my money’s worth from SAS in the past year with their generous transatlantic Plus fares. just a little irked from a customer service perspective, especially now that I have no reason to fly them with the *A exit

Last edited by unitedwildcat; Mar 27, 2024 at 8:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.