Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Plusgrade is no longer in use by SAS. They run their own bid process as of February 2nd 2022.

These are the new terms and conditions: https://www.flysas.com/travel/upgrad...rade-tc-en.pdf.

As a major change to the flow, successful bids no longer earn points from the upgraded booking class, but gets a fixed number of additional points depending on the regions of the flight:

Within and between Sweden, Denmark (incl The Faeroe Islands), Norway, Finland, Estonia, and Latvia
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 250 Basispoints
To, from, and within other European countries:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 500 Basispoints
To and from Asia and the US:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Plus to SAS Business: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Go to SAS Business: 3000 Basispoints
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:56 am
Moderator: SAS
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)

This is the master thread about the new SAS upgrade bid system introduced in 2022.

Please post your experiences or questions about the bidding and upgrade process here!

The previous discussion about the old Plusgrade upgrade system can be found here: New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by Nick Art; Mar 24, 2023 at 1:00 pm
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: *G
SK ditches Plusgrade February 2022 [Bid System Master Thread]

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
No upgrades as a policy, no accessing better seats for *G. There has been a bit mixed reports on the latter, but officially not a benefit for *G

SK offers upgrades via Plus Grade, and as Go is not a great product, I'd look in to an upgrade at least to Plus. Pull your booking up on the SK website, and you'll see the options to bid.
Unfortunately SK has stopped offering plusgrade, but now have their own in-house upgrade bidding service. They increased the minimum bids, and no longer give points based on the upgrading booking class. Instead they give a fixed amount of basic points for the upgrade (1500 Go -> plus or 3000 go -> business on intercontinental) besides the points you get from your original ticket. Not sure how it works when crediting to partners, I imagine you just get the same as your original ticket.

Last edited by Nick Art; Mar 24, 2023 at 12:58 pm
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
When has that happened? The last time I was on a plusgraded flight was two weeks ago! Have not heard about the change here?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by SK2751
When has that happened? The last time I was on a plusgraded flight was two weeks ago! Have not heard about the change here?
They sent the following mail on February 1st and it was in effect from that day. As per usual, a badly communicated devaluation with no notice.
Changes to the Terms and Conditions
for SAS' Upgrade Service

Dear traveler,

We would like to inform you that in connection with launching a new platform for SAS’ Upgrade Service, we will make some changes to our Terms and Conditions. The updated Terms and Conditions will be effective from February 1st, 2022, and will automatically form part of our contract with you without any action needed on your end.

Your bid for an upgrade is still active. If you wish to view, update or cancel your bid, click here. If you can' see your bid, you can easily make a new bid.

Some of the main changes
  • Requests for upgrades can be placed, updated or cancelled on SAS’ website up until your bid has been accepted or rejected (26 hours before departure).
  • You will be notified by email between 25 and 6 hours before departure, if your bid for an upgrade has been accepted or not.
  • If you have placed your bid with money, you will earn a fixed number of EuroBonus points if your upgrade is successful. If you have placed your bid with EuroBonus points, you will not earn EuroBonus points if your upgrade is successful.
What you should do next
We encourage you to review the updates at your earliest convenience. You can find the new Terms and Conditions by clicking here https://www.flysas.com/travel/upgrad...rade-tc-en.pdf.

We look forward to welcome you on board!

Best wishes from SAS
WE ARE TRAVELERS

Last edited by studentCPH; Feb 6, 2022 at 1:25 pm Reason: removed tracking links
Old Feb 6, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: SK*Gold
"If you have placed your bid with EuroBonus points, you will not earn EuroBonus points if your upgrade is successful"

Does that mean that you won't even get EB points for your original class? If so, then you have to add those lost points to your bid to get the real price of your bid.

Even if they still give EB points for your original class that's still a big percentage increase in points. For example, I've upgraded recently to the
Canaries from CPH for 5,000 points, but I got 1,000 back in extra EB points earned in Plus which reduced the net bid to a 4,000 points. Now it's 25% more expensive to bid for an upgrade on that route.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Wow they did not even bother sending that email to their Japan based members.....

I guess it is the way to go back to the original T&Cs that partner programs should only earn for the original class?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by studentCPH
Unfortunately SK has stopped offering plusgrade, but now have their own in-house upgrade bidding service. They increased the minimum bids, and no longer give points based on the upgrading booking class. Instead they give a fixed amount of basic points for the upgrade (1500 Go -> plus or 3000 go -> business on intercontinental) besides the points you get from your original ticket. Not sure how it works when crediting to partners, I imagine you just get the same as your original ticket.
The extra earnings are pretty abysmal...

Inden for Sverige er Danmark inkl. Færøerne, Norge, Estland, Finland, Litauen:
  • SAS Go til SAS Plus: 250 Basispoint
Til/fra/inden for andre europæiske lande:
  • SAS Go til SAS Plus: 500 Basispoint
Til/fra Asien og USA:
  • SAS Go til SAS Plus: 1500 Basispoint
  • SAS Plus til SAS Business: 1500 Basispoint
  • SAS Go til SAS Business: 3000 Basispoint
I guess that is it for an easy way to earn status. That is actually a pretty steep devaluation announced overnight.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Wow, that sucks, I guess It was good while it lasted but there is very little value left for me with SK now...

Was a waste qualifying for Diamond now but atleast it did not cost me any money.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kauppias
Wow, that sucks, I guess It was good while it lasted but there is very little value left for me with SK now...

Was a waste qualifying for Diamond now but atleast it did not cost me any money.
I guess for New York and Boston it is not too bad, 1,500 basis instead of 2,000 Plus to Business. I guess the real burner is from Go Light to J on Tokyo, instead of 240 to 9,000 it is now 240 to 3,240. But then again if you upgrade a Plus Pro long haul, you actually get extra basis points, as in the old system that would be the same earning as the low business booking classes.

But yeah, we should be happy while it lasted....
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Plusgrade has also removed SAS from their reference list. I wonder what happened there.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Plusgrade has also removed SAS from their reference list. I wonder what happened there.
Money.... It is probably cheaper for SK to run the system themselves.
romans likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:55 pm

Wow they did not even bother sending that email to their Japan based members.....

I guess it is the way to go back to the original T&Cs that partner programs should only earn for the original class?
I believe they only sent it to people who had an active bid with plusgrade... I immediately cancelled my upgrade bid.
So dissapointing changes like this are not communicated properly, and with at least a couple months notice..

At first the had also increased the minimum bids by >10%, but I just made a new booking where both CPH-EWR and ORD-CPH min bid is 24k points, previously I think it was 23k westbound and 25k eastbound...
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Swedish domestic is now 400 sek and 4000 points min bid. Used to be 500/5000.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
The extra earnings are pretty abysmal...

Inden for Sverige er Danmark inkl. Færøerne, Norge, Estland, Finland, Litauen:
  • SAS Go til SAS Plus: 250 Basispoint
Til/fra/inden for andre europæiske lande:
  • SAS Go til SAS Plus: 500 Basispoint
Til/fra Asien og USA:
  • SAS Go til SAS Plus: 1500 Basispoint
  • SAS Plus til SAS Business: 1500 Basispoint
  • SAS Go til SAS Business: 3000 Basispoint
I guess that is it for an easy way to earn status. That is actually a pretty steep devaluation announced overnight.
TBH, I very much wonder why they take this kind of devaluation route. They flood in partner promo points so hugely that their whole award pool is badly inflated. In that respect, earnings from plusgrade is peanuts. Credit card churn and all that is the laundry.

But it affects status of course but even there SAS shares amex cards etc and 4x promos so what is the point there either?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA*G
Originally Posted by studentCPH
Noticed this change while looking through the T&C for an upcoming flight, and glad to see I wasn't just going crazy (though not as glad about the change, clearly)!
Curious if anyone who does go through with bidding can provide future data points on partner accruals (e.g., UA), with fingers crossed that something magical will happen w.r.t. booking class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.