Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Plusgrade is no longer in use by SAS. They run their own bid process as of February 2nd 2022.

These are the new terms and conditions: https://www.flysas.com/travel/upgrad...rade-tc-en.pdf.

As a major change to the flow, successful bids no longer earn points from the upgraded booking class, but gets a fixed number of additional points depending on the regions of the flight:

Within and between Sweden, Denmark (incl The Faeroe Islands), Norway, Finland, Estonia, and Latvia
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 250 Basispoints
To, from, and within other European countries:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 500 Basispoints
To and from Asia and the US:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Plus to SAS Business: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Go to SAS Business: 3000 Basispoints
Print Wikipost

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2023, 4:30 pm

Per the SAS site:

We’ll review your bid and you’ll be notified by email of whether your upgrade bid was accepted or not, between 25 and 6 hours before departure.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by cdsfriis
Bumping this - Any input? Thanks in advance
This close to departure I doubt you will see a price drop. But place your bid and if the minimum price drops you lower the bid? (sorry, but I don't see the issue here)
Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SAS Go Light -> SAS Plus

ARN-MIA next month, min. bid DKK 1,338 /15,000 EB points

MIA-CPH next month, min. bid DKK 1,338 / 15, 000 EB points.

Sounds reasonable right? - especially for the return flight MIA-CPH IMO.

I'm prepared to burn points as they will expire later this year anyway.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR;[url=tel:34943623
34943623[/url]]SAS Go Light -> SAS Plus

ARN-MIA next month, min. bid DKK 1,338 /15,000 EB points

MIA-CPH next month, min. bid DKK 1,338 / 15, 000 EB points.

Sounds reasonable right? - especially for the return flight MIA-CPH IMO.

I'm prepared to burn points as they will expire later this year anyway.
Yes very reasonable! Go -> plus upgrade on my CPH-ORD flight was minimum 18k points and DKK 2200 despite plane being half empty and short flight than ARN-MIA
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:19 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The upgrades don't get the full points for the upgraded class anymore. There is a lump sum of points depending on the specific upgrade step. It has not been reported whether these points post through to other programs.
Came to ask exactly this , have a nice P fare on SAS PLUS for OSL>MIA, which yields 150% to A3 program, minimum bid is 270 Euros, which I would gladly pay, if mileage earning would stay the same...
UPDATE: Called SAS hotline regarding this, agent was very helpful and checked the information, and quote, "when bidding for an upgrade, the booking class stays the same, only the service class changes, so miles should be earned according the original booked fare"

Last edited by matio_svk; Jan 26, 2023 at 3:28 am
Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:08 am

Programs: SKD, *A Gold
Originally Posted by matio_svk
Came to ask exactly this , have a nice P fare on SAS PLUS for OSL>MIA, which yields 150% to A3 program, minimum bid is 270 Euros, which I would gladly pay, if mileage earning would stay the same...
UPDATE: Called SAS hotline regarding this, agent was very helpful and checked the information, and quote, "when bidding for an upgrade, the booking class stays the same, only the service class changes, so miles should be earned according the original booked fare"
From what I understand, there is a difference between cash upgrade and miles upgrade. if you upgrade using cash, you get a lump of extra points (less than the difference of a regular booking), but if you upgrade with miles, you don't earn extra miles. Trying to find the page on SAS, but could not find it.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:23 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
Originally Posted by nanneboy
From what I understand, there is a difference between cash upgrade and miles upgrade. if you upgrade using cash, you get a lump of extra points (less than the difference of a regular booking), but if you upgrade with miles, you don't earn extra miles. Trying to find the page on SAS, but could not find it.
Yes, but lump extra points are the case with SAS's Eurobonus FFP, no info on other *A FFPs
Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:33 am

Programs: SKD, *A Gold
Yes, but lump extra points are the case with SAS's Eurobonus FFP, no info on other *A FFPs
Wow - ok. That is not how to have a true alliance..
Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, true if you upgrade with EB points.
If you upgrade for cash you will get more EB points but we don't know (yet) if the same applies if you credit to another FFP.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:46 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond | Finnair Plus Gold
I'm back from the short trip to the West Coast (mostly for millage run purpose). I've originally booked SAS Plus and would like to report that I've managed to upgrade both long haul flights:

SAS Plus -> SAS Business

CPH-SFO 2/9, min. bid EUR 270. I've bet EUR 271 -> won and received 1875 points for that
SFO-CPH 2/12 min. bid EUR 720 / 29000 EB points. I've bet 29001 points -> won
nanneboy likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:14 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Does anybody know whether bidding from Y to J, or from Y+ to J has higher chance? (if only the value of the bid is considered, then the Y bidders should have higher chance, but if the system gives some advantage to Y+ bidders, it would be useful to know how much to compensate for this, if at all possible, when bidding from Y).
Old Feb 16, 2023, 3:01 pm
Moderator: SAS
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I suppose it might be a combination of several factors.

Is the bid Y to J higher than a bid from Y+ to C + a bid from Y to Y+ to then fill your seat? I suppose the system will try to find the choice which yields maximum revenue.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:34 am

I did wonder that if someone is bidding from y -> y+ / J and someone else from y+ -> j then they could benefit from selling both the seats in J and the vacated seats in Y+. But... that assumes there's an interest in bidding up to Y+ as well.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Data points... Seems that closer to departure price goes down
CPH-JFK or vice versa €150 min bid from Y to Y+, €350 Y to J west bound, €420 eastbound... This is the day before the flight on a 321LR
Few days before it was €979 for Y to J...
Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:32 am

So for a couple of flights in question PE cabin seems full (all seats occupied), yet I am still able to bid to upgrade from Y to PE (and the minimum is the usual 13K points). Is the bidding process not taking into the account how full the cabin is? Or is the cabin actually available and seat map is not correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.