Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Plusgrade is no longer in use by SAS. They run their own bid process as of February 2nd 2022.

These are the new terms and conditions: https://www.flysas.com/travel/upgrad...rade-tc-en.pdf.

As a major change to the flow, successful bids no longer earn points from the upgraded booking class, but gets a fixed number of additional points depending on the regions of the flight:

Within and between Sweden, Denmark (incl The Faeroe Islands), Norway, Finland, Estonia, and Latvia
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 250 Basispoints
To, from, and within other European countries:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 500 Basispoints
To and from Asia and the US:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Plus to SAS Business: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Go to SAS Business: 3000 Basispoints
Print Wikipost

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:25 am

If I bid the current minimum amount (points) and later the minimum drops - will there be a way to know/rebid?

Or - is there a benefit to bidding early vs late?

This is for TATL on a320, Y to PE (which feels to be more valuable than on a widebody), currently 18K points.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:58 am

Programs: Eurobonus gold, Finnair silver
Bid 43k to upgrade from economy to business cph-ewr, confirmed 5 hours before takeoff. that was the lowest “medium” bid level. Didn’t get an email strangely just saw my seat change online. Not sure why I bid so much but here I am in business… there’s a special place in hell for people who complain about business class flights after all.

Checked how much it would be to upgrade at the airport:50k eco to bus
25k eco to plus
35k plus to bus
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Stupid question: how do check upgrade cost at the airport?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: sk
Originally Posted by heroic
Stupid question: how do check upgrade cost at the airport?
You ask at check-in or at gate
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:20 am

It’s my first time flying SAS longhaul and first time using the new bidding system for upgrades. I’m traveling with a friend. When I make a bid and bid would be accepted do both travellers have to upgrade to get the offer? My friend will most likely not want to pay for the upgrade, but I myself really would like to sit in business for the CPH-LAX leg.

In the past with Finnair it was possible to only upgrade whom ever you wanted even though you bid for all passengers when making the bid (if my memory serves me correctly, lately only upgraded woth points with Finnair).
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by jj88jj
It’s my first time flying SAS longhaul and first time using the new bidding system for upgrades. I’m traveling with a friend. When I make a bid and bid would be accepted do both travellers have to upgrade to get the offer? My friend will most likely not want to pay for the upgrade, but I myself really would like to sit in business for the CPH-LAX leg.

In the past with Finnair it was possible to only upgrade whom ever you wanted even though you bid for all passengers when making the bid (if my memory serves me correctly, lately only upgraded woth points with Finnair).
I probably answered my own question when trying it out. It’s for both traveleres and if you bid and your bid gets approved you are automatically charged for the upgrade.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by jj88jj
I probably answered my own question when trying it out. It’s for both traveleres and if you bid and your bid gets approved you are automatically charged for the upgrade.
Correct. The simple answer is to your quandary is to pay for your friend
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:17 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Hello all - looking for some decision help for an upcoming SAS trip (first time on the airline and first time dealing with bidding).
Trip details: SFO-CPH-LAX in May:

Option 1: Plus both directions ~$780 (would try to bid for both directions)
Option 2: Business out/Plus return ~$1950 (would try to bid for the return)
Option 3: Business both direction ~$3050

I'm leaning towards option 2 unless there is a high probability of an accepted bid for business class on the SFO-CPH segment for less than the $1200 difference now. Would love any thoughts from those more experienced with the upgrade process. Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:53 pm

If i buy an economy ticket(ie: L) and upgrade to A will the miles of the upgraded ticket get credited in M+B?

In the past this was the case but not sure if this is the case these days
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Anubis13
If i buy an economy ticket(ie: L) and upgrade to A will the miles of the upgraded ticket get credited in M+B?

In the past this was the case but not sure if this is the case these days
The upgrades don't get the full points for the upgraded class anymore. There is a lump sum of points depending on the specific upgrade step. It has not been reported whether these points post through to other programs.
SK2751 and Anubis13 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
Hi all
Thanks for a great forum.
What is your experience on the minimum ask level changing as you get closer to depart date?
I'm flying CPH-ORD-CPH next week (outbound 22/1 homebound 25/1) and looking at upgrading Go --> Business. I'm EBG status.
Current minimum point bid is 44,000. There is amble room (less than 50% booked). Wondering if you've seen the minimum ask drop as we get closer to depart date since there's plenty of room. Thus should I just bid now or wait until closer to depart date?
Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:52 am

I feel stupid for asking this, but how do you check how booked it is? With other airlines I check the seatmap, but with SAS it's not super accessible.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by quoo
I feel stupid for asking this, but how do you check how booked it is? With other airlines I check the seatmap, but with SAS it's not super accessible.
(Can't post URLs as I haven't had 5 posts yet....)
blog.awardfares.com/seatmaps/ is great, fast and free (only works on Star Alliance flights).
Otherwise use Expertflyer's seatalert (but requires login and has limit on # of lookups)
nongrata, chapmanj9 and quoo like this.

Last edited by cdsfriis; Jan 16, 2023 at 8:05 am Reason: wanted to quote the question
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by cdsfriis
Hi all
Thanks for a great forum.
What is your experience on the minimum ask level changing as you get closer to depart date?
I'm flying CPH-ORD-CPH next week (outbound 22/1 homebound 25/1) and looking at upgrading Go --> Business. I'm EBG status.
Current minimum point bid is 44,000. There is amble room (less than 50% booked). Wondering if you've seen the minimum ask drop as we get closer to depart date since there's plenty of room. Thus should I just bid now or wait until closer to depart date?
Thanks!
Bumping this - Any input? Thanks in advance
Old Jan 18, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
When do the upgrades clear? If there’s a chance that even a minimum bid would clear more than 6 hours in advance so I could use the Polaris lounge in EWR during my layover I’d do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.