Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Longhaul Gremlins [Irregular Operations Ticker]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Longhaul Gremlins [Irregular Operations Ticker]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
With DY's "incident" record it is still a mystery to me why people keep booking with them. Is saving a few pennies really worth such a risk?
People's memory is surprisingly short when it comes to these things. And mainstream media has grown tired of reporting on DY it seems, so most people don't realise how many there are. And yes, when it comes to flights 1 DKK saved seems equal to happiness for many people...
Old May 23, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
People's memory is surprisingly short when it comes to these things. And mainstream media has grown tired of reporting on DY it seems, so most people don't realise how many there are. And yes, when it comes to flights 1 DKK saved seems equal to happiness for many people...
And then, when they are airside at their Scandinavian departure airport, they spend without any trouble 150 Euros or more on beer, expensive juices and croissants.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
And then, when they are airside at their Scandinavian departure airport, they spend without any trouble 150 Euros or more on beer, expensive juices and croissants.
Haha, very true. It is beyond me why ppl have to stuff themselves with probably the most expensive food and beverages in the country once at the airport...
Old May 23, 2017, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
How is it in the song in the Lego movie? "Drink overpriced coffee" is mentioned as one of the steps to hapiness...

Joking aside, there is a weird balance between where people freely spends and saves every possible penny.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:12 am

Joking aside, there is a weird balance between where people freely spends and saves every possible penny.
And rarely anybody accounts the time they spend hunting for a bargain... Just witnessed a friend spending hours on the web looking for a cheaper fare. After 6 hours he announced he booked the trip with 2 connections on carriers which are not even in one alliance through some shady OTA 150€ cheaper than flight with one connection on *A trough LH.com.

Well, well... I'm pretty sure he will do exactly the same again next time.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
At least SAS is honest about their major incidents and don't try to call a major engine failure with fire and explosions minor, like Norwegian is trying to do with the takeoff incident on DY7209 leaving CPH for BKK Saturday. The bird is still stuck in CPH
Very true

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a9546cd&opt=0
Old May 23, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
With DY's "incident" record it is still a mystery to me why people keep booking with them. Is saving a few pennies really worth such a risk?
It's beyond me too. And to make matters worse. In another story in bt.dk Norwegian have left 100 people stranded in Nice late Sunday because of "a technical issue shortly before departure" so they had to send a smaller bird. And in best norwegian style they are splitting families.

LN-LND is by the way still stranded in CPH on the fourth day now. So much for a minor technical issue.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LN-LND is by the way still stranded in CPH on the fourth day now. So much for a minor technical issue.
DY has the 787 'goldcare' package by Boeing, executed by Monarch in Europe.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2016-07-...dCare-Coverage

If Monarch cannot rustle up a spare Trent engine, the aircraft stays on the ground.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002

If Monarch cannot rustle up a spare Trent engine, the aircraft stays on the ground.
If I remember correct, it took SAS less than 3 days to get an replacement engine installed in a bird stranded in Washington a couple of years ago.

But never the less. My point is the incident is a lot more serious than norwegian claims. Ln-lnd is now stranded in CPH on day 5, and I doubt it's because norwegian have no need for the bird.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Back in 2009 SK left a A330 for two weeks in EWR because of a dispute with the engine supplier about who was responsible for the damage. Swapping engines can be easy and/or tough, depending on the facilities you have on site and the spares.

The DY 787 engine needs an inspection after a flame out like that. If the contracted party cannot do that then the aircraft stays grounded, which is not necessarily an indicator on the extent of the damage.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:43 pm

Back in 2009 SK left a A330 for two weeks in EWR because of a dispute with the engine supplier about who was responsible for the damage. Swapping engines can be easy and/or tough, depending on the facilities you have on site and the spares.

The DY 787 engine needs an inspection after a flame out like that. If the contracted party cannot do that then the aircraft stays grounded, which is not necessarily an indicator on the extent of the damage.
With goldcare from Boeing it should not take more than 1-2 days to inspect and/or replace an engine, unless you discover some serious issues. It's pretty expensive to have a 787 stranded. It already at least twice meant that +100 passengers have been delayed for more than 12 hours costing hotel, compensation etc.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the GoldCare package also cover the engines? Not really Boeings area of expertise, and even if Monarch does the actual work.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:34 am

Does the GoldCare package also cover the engines? Not really Boeings area of expertise, and even if Monarch does the actual work.
I would assume Boeing to be single point of contact with end to end responsibility. Whether they outsource part of the work to partners doesn't really matter.

It's no different from when they build the birds. They don't build the engines themselves either.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:45 am

With goldcare from Boeing it should not take more than 1-2 days to inspect and/or replace an engine, unless you discover some serious issues.
Replacement engines are not easy to get... e.g. SAS sold some (all?) of their spare engines last year as far as I remember. And some exotic spare parts might be hard to get in short time as well. I used to work for on-board courier service and flying spare parts for aircraft on the ground was part of the routine - often 2 to 4 days to get the parts needed was considered normal - even though not desired.

It really depends on what broke and how bad it broke

I would assume Boeing to be single point of contact with end to end responsibility.
It is not that simple. Why should Boeing take responsibility for a 3rd party contributed part? Maintenance and service contracts for airliners are pretty complex agreements and as far as I know especially for the engines neither airbus nor Boeing take responsibility.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would assume Boeing to be single point of contact with end to end responsibility. Whether they outsource part of the work to partners doesn't really matter.

It's no different from when they build the birds. They don't build the engines themselves either.
The airlines also don't order the engines from Boeing, and often not even at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.