Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS EuroBonus credit cards vs. Coop MedMera Mer (Sweden)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedChili
Wiki-update, September 2017, by RedChili:

Coop in Sweden has a membership program whereby you may collect points, which later can be converted to Eurobonus points. There are set specific intervals at which conversions may be made, but basically, the exchange rate is 10 Coop points to 1 EB point.

To become a Coop member, you need to pay SEK 100, which will give you a membership card that allows you to earn points when shopping in Coop, a few other physical stores, and on the Coop Internet shopping portal. The membership card itself will give you at least 0.5 points per SEK when shoppping at Coop, translating into 5 EB points per SEK 100. There's a points ladder, which means that for purchases above SEK 4500 per month, shoppers may get 5 points per SEK at Coop, translating into 50 EB points per SEK 100.

Coop has three cards that you can use to obtain points:

Coop Konto (Coop Account): It's a debit card that can only be used for shopping at Coop stores. There's no annual fee, and it gives 0.5 additional points per SEK at Coop, which translates into a total of 10 EB points per SEK 100 (including what the membership gives).

Coop Betala Efter (Coop Pay After): It's a Mastercard credit card which can be used everywhere. There's no annual fee, and it gives 0.5 additional points per SEK at Coop, and 0.25 points everywhere else, which translates into a total of 10 EB points per SEK 100 at Coop and 2.5 EG points everywhere else. There's a 1.75% currency conversion fee. At the time of writing, there's a 10.000 point welcome bonus on this card, translating into 1000 EB points.

Coop Mer (Coop More): It's a Mastercard credit card which can be used everywhere. There's no annual fee for the first year, but a fee of SEK 348 thereafter. It gives 1 additional point per SEK at Coop, and 0.5 points per SEK everywhere else, which translates into a total of 15 EB points per SEK 100 at Coop and 5 EB points everywhere else. Unlike the Eurobonus AMEX cards which have 2% currency conversion fee, there's no currency conversion fee at all on this card, something which may make this card attractive for private purchases in other currencies. At the time of writing, there's a 10.000 point welcome bonus on this card, translating into 1000 EB points.

So, let's make a comparison between Amex Premium and Coop Mer when shopping for SEK 10.000 in other currencies: The Amex will cost you a total of SEK 10.200 and give 1500 EB points, while the Coop will cost a total of SEK 10.000 and give 500 EB points. By using the Amex, the extra 1000 EB points will actually cost you SEK 200.

Some select stores from the Coop Internet shopping portal (with points listed as EB points after conversion):

Hallon phone subscription: 500 EB welcome points, and 30 EB per month.
Hotels.com: 20 EB per SEK 100 (at the time of writing, there's a 50 EB campaign).
Tallink/Silja: 20 EB per SEK 100.
Adlibris: 20 EB per SEK 100.
Cdon.com: 10 EB per SEK 100.

It's fully possible for a Coop member to shop through the Coop Internet portal and double dip by paying with an Amex card or the Coop credit cards.

It's also possible to pay regular bills with Coop Mer through Betalo (see below), but they charge a 1% transaction fee when paying with Coop cards, and you only get 5 EB points per SEK 100, meaning that receiving 1000 EB points will cost you SEK 200 in Betalo fees.

!IMPORTANT NOTICE!

Beginning January 1st 2016, Betalo will charge 1% processing fess for charging to the MedMera COOP MasterCard

Here are the companies that you can't use betalo (please feel free to add in):

- SEB
- Ikano Kort
- AMEX
- PayEx (check your VVS bills (got one recently and they hand the bills handling to PayEx) - if the payment is big, you are definitely loose out some points)
- OkQ8
- Skatteverket (called them today and they said that COOP blocks payments to Skatteverket) - it's possible to use other cards
Print Wikipost

SAS EuroBonus credit cards vs. Coop MedMera Mer (Sweden)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
The problem in Sweden I find is that the contrast (like with many things in this country) between what shops accept AMEX and those that don't just isn't adding up. And of course Swedes aren't helping, "Oh, you don't accept AMEX? Well here is a VISA card." instead of "Oh, you don't accept AMEX? I'm out of here". It took less than 2 weeks for our favourite lunch restaurant at work to start accepting AMEX after various people with just AMEX had to walk away and they had to throw the food. Always vote with your wallet.

I can purchase a 20sek espresso with AMEX no problem, a 10sek kanelbulle no problem, groceries no problem, restaurants no problem, (most) gas stations no problem but then if you go out and buy a premium item in an upscale store or go and buy a car they suddenly won't accept it. Its not adding up, stores like that not taking AMEX in the US would be out of business by the end of the month.
AMEX is just crazy expensive for the merchant. I a small taxi company a lot and they take AMEX but since I know they are struggling to keep their business afloat I always tip a good amount to offset the costs for the AMEX charge. It is not easy for a business to cover extra 4% costs.

I agree with your observation, though I appear to accumulate hotel points much faster than airline points. Or perhaps I'm spending the airline points to fast, not entirely sure but they aren't stacking up. Just from staying at the hotels through their own programs with promotions, no extra creditcards or other tools. I have enough HH points to cover vacations for the next 4 years and most of the time end up converting hotel points to airline points. I would in fact welcome alternative means to accumulate airline points beyond what is available at the moment.
Hmm, I have no problem getting airline miles piled up but hotels are more difficult specifically since I need to spread out between Hilton, Marriott, Club Carlson and Accor - and some small local chains like Scandic. If I could bundle all my stays in one chain alliance like Star Alliance for airlines it certainly wouldn't be a problem. Also the hotel programs had much more and much more serious devaluations over the last two years...
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by fassy
It actually easy in two of them. DK is just a bad country for credit card companies, like Germany.
Germany has improved a lot since the last couple of years: I can pay with my COOP card in Aldi, Lidl, Kaufland......without a fee! Denmark is too dominated by the Dankort - now they even charge you a fee for using Dankort to tank at Ingo, or book airport parking at park and ride

The problem in Sweden I find is that the contrast (like with many things in this country) between what shops accept AMEX and those that don't just isn't adding up. And of course Swedes aren't helping, "Oh, you don't accept AMEX? Well here is a VISA card." instead of "Oh, you don't accept AMEX? I'm out of here". It took less than 2 weeks for our favourite lunch restaurant at work to start accepting AMEX after various people with just AMEX had to walk away and they had to throw the food. Always vote with your wallet.

I can purchase a 20sek espresso with AMEX no problem, a 10sek kanelbulle no problem, groceries no problem, restaurants no problem, (most) gas stations no problem but then if you go out and buy a premium item in an upscale store or go and buy a car they suddenly won't accept it.

I agree with your observation, though I appear to accumulate hotel points much faster than airline points. Or perhaps I'm spending the airline points to fast, not entirely sure but they aren't stacking up. Just from staying at the hotels through their own programs with promotions, no extra creditcards or other tools. I have enough HH points to cover vacations for the next 4 years and most of the time end up converting hotel points to airline points. I would in fact welcome alternative means to accumulate airline points beyond what is available at the moment.
Not even that - a lot of OTAs don't take AMEX as it would be our biggest expense.

I also prefer hotel points, we are travelling with the kids all the time and finding 5 award seats = mission impossible and it requires a big stash of points. So what I use the COOP card is mostly to get points to pay for the grocery and then use real $ to buy tickets.

AMEX is just crazy expensive for the merchant. I a small taxi company a lot and they take AMEX but since I know they are struggling to keep their business afloat I always tip a good amount to offset the costs for the AMEX charge. It is not easy for a business to cover extra 4% costs.

Hmm, I have no problem getting airline miles piled up but hotels are more difficult specifically since I need to spread out between Hilton, Marriott, Club Carlson and Accor - and some small local chains like Scandic. If I could bundle all my stays in one chain alliance like Star Alliance for airlines it certainly wouldn't be a problem. Also the hotel programs had much more and much more serious devaluations over the last two years...
In Hong Kong, smaller merchants charge you 3% for Visa, 5% for AMEX regardless of card origin. In Denmark some shops charge extra for foreign cards.

You really can't bundle star alliance flights into 1 FFP - some FFP gives more point for a particular booking class than others. I think we have like 4*A FFP per person in the household, it's annoying but what can you do?

I think hotel/airline devaluation is a fact - like the SK cutting the 100% earning on all Y fares. I did benefit from the recent CC category changes - the hotel I was looking to book has lowered a category from 28k per night down to 14k. It all depends on where you need the hotel, the devaluation might not be a devaluation if the hotel you need to book has been put down a category.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
When Amex and the Amex-payment processing/chain intermediaries have tended to charge retailers higher fees for Amex use than Visa/Mastercard and the V/MC-payment processing/chain intermediaries, it's not really a surprise that some retailers have more issues with Amex than V/MC. Also, chargeback hits may be different, as Amex historically seemed to tend to side more strongly with its customer base than V/MC-issuers sided with their customer base.
I'm aware of the reality of AMEX. They are good to me as a consumer and in return I try to use them exclusively and I'm good to the merchants that accept it by giving them my business over someone who does not.

I could probably understand that better for products that are not horribly overpriced such as taxi's (big Uber supporter and user, who are cheaper, provide a superior product and do accept AMEX). Though my original argument was more towards why business that operate with 30-40% contribution margins on their products do not take AMEX over businesses that operate with single digit or less contribution margins.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by nacho
You really can't bundle star alliance flights into 1 FFP - some FFP gives more point for a particular booking class than others. I think we have like 4*A FFP per person in the household, it's annoying but what can you do?
I have just one... SK for *A and for SkyTeam Flying Blue. It makes no sense for me to have also Miles and More, MilePlus etc just to get a few more miles for the flights. Until I reach a useful amount of miles on M&M or MP a good part of the miles will expire. The new LH group booking classes makes it very hard to credit to SK though... see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...g-classes.html

The interesting thing was, that the upfare from V/T (25%, 0% earning) to G/G (100%,100%) was just about 60€.

I think hotel/airline devaluation is a fact - like the SK cutting the 100% earning on all Y fares.
That is one step I can agree on to some extend. SKs flat points earnings where unsustainable. Anyway, they cut down too hard... just getting 500 miles for a 3 hours flight (e.g. CPH-BCN) is ridiculous...

With the new earnings I sometimes earn more miles on LH, AC, UA to the US than on SKs own metal while paying less. Also it is almost impossible to pay for Plus fares which give you 200%. Even really expensive Plus fares end up in the 150% booking classes, I once payed nearly 1000€ for J class CPH-WAW and ended up with just 1500 points each way. That is just wrong! If they claim they needed to offset the miles credited to price paid they should honor that.

Not very balanced.

I did benefit from the recent CC category changes - the hotel I was looking to book has lowered a category from 28k per night down to 14k. It all depends on where you need the hotel, the devaluation might not be a devaluation if the hotel you need to book has been put down a category.
Yes, some of the cheaper properties are ok but they raised almost all interesting upscale hotels in bigger cities to 70k per night. I think the RB Hamburg (not thay upscale but decent enough) at 44k is still a good deal. And in addition at the same time removed a lot of good promos (like the online booking bonus) or made the new promos in a way that as business traveler you cannot use them, like the new promo with extra points for stays over the weekend...

Last edited by fassy; Oct 22, 2015 at 3:38 am
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I have just one... SK for *A and for SkyTeam Flying Blue. It makes no sense for me to have also Miles and More, MilePlus etc just to get a few more miles for the flights. Until I reach a useful amount of miles on M&M or MP a good part of the miles will expire. The new LH group booking classes makes it very hard to credit to SK though... see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...g-classes.html

The interesting thing was, that the upfare from V/T (25%, 0% earning) to G/G (100%,100%) was just about 60€.

That is one step I can agree on to some extend. SKs flat points earnings where unsustainable. Anyway, they cut down too hard... just getting 500 miles for a 3 hours flight (e.g. CPH-BCN) is ridiculous...

With the new earnings I sometimes earn more miles on LH, AC, UA to the US than on SKs own metal while paying less. Also it is almost impossible to pay for Plus fares which give you 200%. Even really expensive Plus fares end up in the 150% booking classes, I once payed nearly 1000€ for J class CPH-WAW and ended up with just 1500 points each way. That is just wrong! If they claim they needed to offset the miles credited to price paid they should honor that.

Not very balanced.

Yes, some of the cheaper properties are ok but they raised almost all interesting upscale hotels in bigger cities to 70k per night. I think the RB Hamburg (not thay upscale but decent enough) at 44k is still a good deal. And in addition at the same time removed a lot of good promos (like the online booking bonus) or made the new promos in a way that as business traveler you cannot use them, like the new promo with extra points for stays over the weekend...
I have given up M&M except my kids' accounts because they don't expire until they turn 18, might consider to redeem some toys for them instead of leaving them to further devaluate.

Our situations are very different - I need programmes that can either pool or transfer. I move our UA points to our Marriott account (yes I know everyone would say it's a complete waste - but not in our situation), or SK/TK/RJ/BA/OZ family pooling work great for us.

60 EUR to get 100% miles would be a great deal if you are flying long haul.

Hamburg hotel is just ridiculous - it's the only city that's reachable for a night or 2 if you take the land way from Sweden to Germany. Once in a while we stay in Bremen but it's another hour away (although flying a car through A1 is a joy). The Marriotts there in the city is insanely priced (I think they are like 40/45k Marriott points/night). Recently we stayed at the HIX on Point Break (USD 35/night) - the location is not even that central and a cheapy like that would have cost us EUR 125 for a night. We usually stay at the Courtyard by HAM as it's convenient by car and we really appreciate a real double bed.

Hopefully when Hampton Inn starts in Hamburg it will create more competition.

If you want to get the best promo - IHG is the one, if you are new member, stay twice and get a free night. Their promo is crazy too - they can be double/tripple dipped. They are definitely the best with the promo.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies & Gentlemen, dear Kids,
let return to the topic at hand: CC vs Medmera Mer.

US CC vs Nordic CC, DK vs SE, Germany vs Nordics, M&M vs EB needs to be discussed elsewhere.

Regards Oliver2002
Senior Mod
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Gold, ex-Swissôtel Zenit (sigh)
Dang, we knew the party was going to end eventually… There will be a 1% fee on Betalo payments starting January 1.

=====
MedMera Bank ändrar serviceavgiften

Från och med den 1/1 2016 kommer serviceavgiften att vara 1,0% (ordinarie avgift 1,9%) när du betalar dina räkningar via Betalo med ett Coop MedMera Betala Efter eller Coop MedMera Mer-kort.

Med Coop MedMera Betala Efter och Coop MedMera Mer får du:

- Poäng på alla räkningar när du använder Betalo (max 100 000 poäng/mån)

- Förmånlig serviceavgift på Betalo

- Upp till 54 dagars räntefri kredit

För betalningar registrerade innan 1/1 2016 utgår ingen serviceavgift.

För eventuella frågor vänligen kontakta MedMera Banks kundservice på tel. 0771 - 17 17 17.

Hälsningar MedMera Bank i samarbete med Betalo.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by jrcplus
Dang, we knew the party was going to end eventually… There will be a 1% fee on Betalo payments starting January 1.
Yes, party is over. Got a good amount of points out of this in the last year, I guess about 100k or so.

Anyway, a good option to get rid of another card in the wallet to manage.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
I still plan to use my MedMera card for purchases, but I went in an shifted a few Betalo transactions to Dec. 30 instead of a few days after.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Yes, party is over. Got a good amount of points out of this in the last year, I guess about 100k or so.
Oh what shame. Now how will Swedes snag all the award tickets?!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
The award tickets are hardly a concern, getting Danes play the underdog role is what they are all in it for.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:09 am
Suspended

The award tickets are hardly a concern, getting Danes play the underdog role is what they are all in it for.
I wish you lots of cold blocks of salmon in the new year, Moose!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:39 am
ekf

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
Don't worry, it is a worse deal than before, but at least not completely disastrous.

A 1000 SEK bill equals a fee of 10 SEK and gives roughly 150 EB-points. Given than most people (or most point-nerds perhaps) value 1 SEK = 10 points, it is still value for money.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:43 am

Hmm, yes. Computing using that rational isn't that bad. I rolled a lot of money through Betalo, actually maxed out the MedMera Card every month to 50.000 SEK for 7.500 points. Now I have to pay 500 SEK for the 7.500 points which I value at about 1000 SEK.

Anyway, since I'm traveling a lot the next year I will drown in points anyway. They were a nice gift for free not sure I need to 'purchase' them.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:17 am

A little sad I missed this opportunity when it was sweeter. As fairly-recent immigrant (read poor swedish skills) to ARN the complexity of Med Mera to Betalo was tough to analyze. We do all our shopping at Coop and I've transferred Med Mera to EB before. It's quite useful actually. I recently upgraded to the Elite Amex for the 20.000 basic points and the old earn rate 20/100. If anyone cares to DM me the Betalo game details, in English, I'd be greatly appreciative

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.