Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Who wants to join in a court case against SAS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 1:37 am
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
I think it is more airport luggage operators fault that they do not follow the rules.
Old May 28, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Given that the vast majority of travellers would never even dream about paying for a service that included the provision of a "priority" sticker on their luggage, I can't actually see any publicity about this "first world problem" stirring any kind of public sympathy.

In fact, I think this would just antagonise the average person on the street...or evince a wry chuckle.
Old May 28, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: EBP/SK*G, M&M FT, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by R7U
I think it is more airport luggage operators fault that they do not follow the rules.
This would actually not relieve SK of their obligations as a carrier, just because they have sub-contracted this part to a handling company.

However, I do have difficulty in finding reference to the PRI tag in the sales material or in their Travel Terms & Conditions and as such it may not be something that is advertised as a product you buy when flying PLUS or Business, but rather something that follows FF status. Possibly this could make an action in court rather difficult?

I must say that I fully agree with the point on honouring the tags - otherwise it is a complete waste of time and money and creates an expectation which is not delivered on! As a curiosum, it is never a problem when you fly to FE, such as SIN, HKG, NRT, ICN - PRI tagged luggage will always appear first!
Old May 30, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I don't check luggage often. Once for CPH-NRT my bag did not appear and then the non-priority bags started to appear on the belt. I went up to a Japanese SAS employee and she ran out to look for my bag and returned with it within a couple of minutes.

Of course the incompetents in CPH had put it in the wrong container.

Imagine this kind of service in CPH or ARN?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I don't want to join, thank you.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given the high labor costs in the region -- lawyers aren't that cheap everywhere -- and given how Scandinavian courts and government arbitrators/ombudsmens tend to be miserly in awarding damages, count me out.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: TK E+
I completely agree with you on the terrible baggage handling at OSL. I fly in a few times every month, usually on a route landing at 11.30 with my train leaving at 11:59. Given that the airport is very quiet on this time of day and that the first bags always arrive less than 10 min. after touch-down, it's extremely annoying time and time again watch the priority tagged bags arriving 15-20 later, just late enough for me to miss my train connection.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: SK Diamond
Originally Posted by aulrik
I completely agree with you on the terrible baggage handling at OSL. I fly in a few times every month, usually on a route landing at 11.30 with my train leaving at 11:59. Given that the airport is very quiet on this time of day and that the first bags always arrive less than 10 min. after touch-down, it's extremely annoying time and time again watch the priority tagged bags arriving 15-20 later, just late enough for me to miss my train connection.
Then you have three options:
1) Book an earlier flight
2) Book a later train
3) Travel lighter and only have hand luggage
Don't blame SAS for you being incompetent in making a feasible travel schedule.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by FlightCancelled
2) Book a later train
How on earth do you interpret my post as criticism of your beloved SAS? I do not mention SAS one single time in my post, I'm talking about the handling agent at OSL.

And the fact that you think it's just to book an earlier flight or take a later train shows that you don't have a whole lot experience in traveling in Norway. There is a huge difference between taking the airport express to downtown Oslo, and heading up into the valleys. For me taking an earlier flight would mean I have to leave home 24h earlier, extend my total travel time with over 8h and arrive at OSL at 18.00 the day before. To take the next train usually means 5-6 hours waiting time at OSL.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
2) Book a later train
I think aulrik has a valid point here. Yes, one should allow for enough time when doing travel planning. But here SK (who owns the handling company) is deliberately delaying the the priority tagged bags making him/her miss the onward connection. If all the luggage arrives late then that´s just life. But to see all other luggage arrive quickly and then see the priority luggage arrive as the last - that´s SK not delivering on their promises to their best customers.

I would love to get SK to honour their promises - but I just don´t see a court case succeding.

Svantevit
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by aulrik
How on earth do you interpret my post as criticism of your beloved SAS? I do not mention SAS one single time in my post, I'm talking about the handling agent at OSL.

And the fact that you think it's just to book an earlier flight or take a later train shows that you don't have a whole lot experience in traveling in Norway. There is a huge difference between taking the airport express to downtown Oslo, and heading up into the valleys. For me taking an earlier flight would mean I have to leave home 24h earlier, extend my total travel time with over 8h and arrive at OSL at 18.00 the day before. To take the next train usually means 5-6 hours waiting time at OSL.
You can't expect to always catch the train if you only plan 29 minutes between touching down at OSL and the train departing from the train station, if you also have checked-in luggage. Things does never go that quick, something you should know if you just travel a little bit.

Also I don't quite get why you say "shows that you don't have a whole lot experience in traveling in Norway". As we are talking about handling of priority tagged luggage, I am assuming you are arriving from outside of Norway? There aren't (though a few incompetent agents still put them on) priority tags on domestic flights in Norway with SK. That was removed with the introduction of Go and Plus (also for EBG/D/P).
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
You can't expect to always catch the train if you only plan 29 minutes between touching down at OSL and the train departing from the train station, if you also have checked-in luggage.
Well, he can't expect that he will catch his train. But he is rightly frustrated if he misses it because of inefficient handling. I always do get irritated when travel industry wastes my time on inefficient handling (whether these are queues, luggage delays, flight delays, or anything else). This is one of the essential differences between good and bad travel service. I can't see why you find it so surprising.

There aren't (though a few incompetent agents still put them on) priority tags on domestic flights in Norway with SK. That was removed with the introduction of Go and Plus (also for EBG/D/P).
I did not know about it. I almost (never) travel domestic in Norway. Where is this announced that there is no priority luggage service in Norway? (and why an airline would like to introduce an inconsistency like that?)
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by wazow
Well, he can't expect that he will catch his train. But he is rightly frustrated if he misses it because of inefficient handling. I always do get irritated when travel industry wastes my time on inefficient handling (whether these are queues, luggage delays, flight delays, or anything else). This is one of the essential differences between good and bad travel service. I can't see why you find it so surprising.
I still don't agree. 29 minutes from touchdown to you must be inside the train when arriving from an international flight, and having luggage checked in is way to short time IMO.

I did not know about it. I almost (never) travel domestic in Norway. Where is this announced that there is no priority luggage service in Norway? (and why an airline would like to introduce an inconsistency like that?)
It was announced on some press release I think when Go and Plus was introduced. Either way, it's super stupid. I have no idea why they don't bother with it domestically.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:31 pm

You can't expect to always catch the train if you only plan 29 minutes between touching down at OSL and the train departing from the train station, if you also have checked-in luggage. Things does never go that quick, something you should know if you just travel a little bit.
You don't get the point; I don't nag about missing my train, I know my connection time is short, but the alternative is to fly in the night before. The point here is that I (and many others), over and over again experience that the priority luggage is arriving much later than other luggage. At OSL the priority tag is not an advantage but a dis-advantage, that's the root of my frustration.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:53 pm

You could ask to get no priority tag at the bag drop counters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.