Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A glass of water?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: SK-EBD*G, AF Ivory, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG, Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lnz
For me as LH SEN, LH and LO are better choices because they give me free drinks, 25% exec bonus and seat-blocking. While all *G get free drinks on LH and LO, I don't know about exec bonus and seat-blocking for *G.

Out of curiosity, what perks do you benefit of as EBG on short-haul flights that makes you choose SK over e.g. LH or LO?
Haven't been in eco on LH for a few months but aren't drinks free for all pax not only *G?
On LO on the other hand I recently experienced a change where there are no free drinks, didn't ask if *G would help me out, but at least it wasn't mentioned in the cabin.

Perks for me on SK is 25% extra miles and fast track access at ARN and CPH. On top of that, quite often the price difference to Plus cabin is small which allows me to book that instead (of course not as good as LH C, not even close, but somewhere in between that and regular eco)

// P
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:46 am

On LH, LO, LX refreshments including soft drinks, wine and beer and a little snack are complimentary for all customers - you don't need to be *G. LO also serves water, coffee and tea and a snack - not sure about beer/wine/soft drinks.

About SK:

First of all:

SK makes it very easy to earn points:
- All booking classes in Go = 100% + 25% SK*G Bonus
- All booking classes in Plus/Business = 200% + 25% SK*G Bonus

There are not P classes or low economy discount fares which earn even for MM Members only fragments of the total mileage.

If you flight quite regular it is easy to reach SK*G, very easy on long haul

Second:
There are flat mileage rates in Scandinavia and Europe, e.g. for my regular trips CPH-DUS I get 1000 miles (without SK*G Bonus) each way, on LH on a cheap Eco ticket that would be probably in the range of 125miles each way.

Third:
Seat blocking seems to work for SK*G and SK*D on SK operated flights

Fourth:
FastTrack access in all major Scandinavian Airports and a lot of other airports around in Europe

Fifth:
SAS is for me pretty flexible and friendly, I had often talked to the *G hotline and they were able to accommodate my requests and helped me out in a quick and easy way. Like putting me on the next available flight free of charge due to a family emergency even if my seat was booked on a flight 3 hours later. In similar situations I was very often stonewalled by LH, LO and LX . They never did anything to me besides strictly follow the rules.

Last but not least:
Redeeming points for flight awards is pretty attractive. SK charges no YQ on SK operated flights and together with the AMEX card you can get very good deals like 140.000 points for I class award CPH-NRT-CPH for two pax - total cost round about 800SEK in taxes. Try this with LH
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:50 am
lnz

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by pswe
Haven't been in eco on LH for a few months but aren't drinks free for all pax not only *G?
Yes they are free for all pax, sorry my sentence was not phrased correctly.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Seems that water is no longer free on SK flights:

Kaffe og te (coffee and tea) - Food and drink to Asia and USA (yeah right, I got only a bottle of water from IAD to CPH)

Last edited by nacho; Apr 30, 2014 at 3:28 pm
Old May 4, 2014, 7:05 am
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by lnz
Well, I agree. It obviously depends on one's status and priorities on short-haul flights.

For me as LH SEN, LH and LO are better choices because they give me free drinks, 25% exec bonus and seat-blocking. While all *G get free drinks on LH and LO, I don't know about exec bonus and seat-blocking for *G.

Out of curiosity, what perks do you benefit of as EBG on short-haul flights that makes you choose SK over e.g. LH or LO?
Some SAS short-haul flights have complimentary WIFI for EB members.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
It's weird though that the can serve water that they've heated and added flavor, color and taste to for free, but not the water itself...

I also encountered a few flights where I was refused a glass of water. I think it's nowadays up to the discretion of the FA's and the availability of a big bottle on board. It's quite sad that they removed it from the list of free drinks. Water is a basic necessity in life. Just think about those people who need to take some medicine with a glass of water, do you really want to refuse it to them as SAS?

And to add to the LH over SK discussion: LH sucks BIG TIME nowadays. Here's why:
- prices have increased up to ridiculous levels. Even SK looks cheap nowadays compared to them.
- mileage earnings have dried up, unless you want to go bankrupt really fast. The cost/benefit of collecting miles is completely lost
- I, as long time Senator, just keep running into granite walls when even addressing the most reasonable requests to LH (like getting me in a hotel room after they cancelled my connecting flight while I was on my way, not having any available connections before next day). They made it clear this way that they don't appreciate my business anymore. Their loss.
- Food on SK is bad, you think? Try LH. I got served dry pasta with breadcrumb 'sauce' on my last TATL flight and a salad that was so dead it made a graveyard look alive. I didn't dare to touch the omelet they served for breakfast.
- Flight attendants are downright stupid and rude, sometimes even aggressive.
- Their on time record, Frankfurt Airport... do I need to go on?

I nowadays outsource most of my long haul to LX and I really hope that LH Group keeps their hands off them for a while.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I guess SK wants us to buy water or get one from the lounge.

This year I'm doing 3 TATL, have done 1 so far, another 1 next week (UA/AC) and the last one in Dec with LH on their 747-8.

The first one was with SK - well after getting used to TK, SK is several grades lower than that. Being *A G helped a lot since I can get full and drink enough water before getting on the flight. The IFE is so backwards that you can't pause a movie. SK crew, I think some are ok - since they don't have to offer you anything free.

LH Y - Food is not good anyway, hasn't been and it will never be. The seats are newer and the IFE is better than SK - I tried the A330 and A340 and A380. Again if I get a chance to fill myself up in the lounge, then it doesn't hit me at all. LH has a lot more toys for children whereas SK dropped the Lego - the rest of the toys they offered to kids are boring. LH crew, hit and miss - once I ordered drink for myself and 2 kids and we got 5 glasses of drinks (water + juice) and that male purser said very loud, 'are you having guest over'. Just because they are kids doesn't mean that they don't deserve anything to drink, also there is no child discount on those flights.

Yes SK is good for crediting miles - with themselves and UA. LH - if you don't get the K class tickets you can also get 100% on TATL with UA.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by timlno
So every time I fly with SAS, I ask for a glass of water becuase I'm not a big I'm not a big coffee or tea drinker. And every time, I get one :-)
But... I just did a GO return BGO-TRD over the weekend and on both legs, I was refused water and told to buy a bottle.
Anyone else having this experience? It's a bit strange that they can't even give a glass of water any more...
I would write SAS and complain. Then they can see which people working on the plane that day, and maybe you get some points out of it..
Old May 22, 2014, 11:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
[QUOTE=UltraRant;22899301]It's weird though that the can serve water that they've heated and added flavor, color and taste to for free, but not the water itself...

I also encountered a few flights where I was refused a glass of water. I think it's nowadays up to the discretion of the FA's and the availability of a big bottle on board. It's quite sad that they removed it from the list of free drinks. Water is a basic necessity in life. Just think about those people who need to take some medicine with a glass of water, do you really want to refuse it to them as SAS?
/QUOTE]

The free bottled water refusal is extraordinarily cheap.

SK makes the coffee/tea using the nasty airplane tank's water? That water is cheaper than bottled water. Drinking unboiled water directly from the airplane storage tank is a pretty nasty idea for some.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: *G
Still haven't been refused a glass of water on my 17 segments the last <4 months, even when asking for both a glass of water and a cup of coffee. The first couple of times they had a big bottle, but since ~end February I haven't seen the big bottles, so don't see this as the issue
Old May 22, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
CDG-OSL
OSL-ARN
ARN-LHR

Free water was available. Even asked if I also wanted a glass of water with my little bottle of wine I bought.
Old May 22, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder

The free bottled water refusal is extraordinarily cheap.

SK makes the coffee/tea using the nasty airplane tank's water? That water is cheaper than bottled water. Drinking unboiled water directly from the airplane storage tank is a pretty nasty idea for some.
I know, it's different water and I wouldn't want to drink a drop of it if it hasn't been properly boiled first. Not that mineral water is so extraordinary expensive. Not that coke, coffee or tea are a basic need in life either. Water is, though.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Haven't flown SK since last fall. Yesterday two short haul segments including CPH-ARN and got a glass of water on each.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UltraRant
I know, it's different water and I wouldn't want to drink a drop of it if it hasn't been properly boiled first. Not that mineral water is so extraordinary expensive. Not that coke, coffee or tea are a basic need in life either. Water is, though.
Even supposedly properly boiled water from a nasty source/storage facility can be rather nasty.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Tested the 'free' water option last week in LLA-ARN Go. No dice. The purser was pretty friendly but said the only thing free is coffee or tea. I said my boys drink neither, he replied 'then buy a drink for them, water is xx SEK per bottle'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.