Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100% earnings are soon back

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:54 am

Just an example: According to the the points earnings on the website, today a r/t ARN-CPH-MAD in low economy menas a total of 900 points (ARN-CPH 150 points and CPH-MAD 300 points X 2) but after 4th May you'll get 5000 points (ARN-CPH 500 points and CPH-MAD 2000 points X 2). That's an 450% increase in point earnings for low economy. Can it be right?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by SK989
Just an example: According to the the points earnings on the website, today a r/t ARN-CPH-MAD in low economy menas a total of 900 points (ARN-CPH 150 points and CPH-MAD 300 points X 2) but after 4th May you'll get 5000 points (ARN-CPH 500 points and CPH-MAD 2000 points X 2). That's an 450% increase in point earnings for low economy. Can it be right?
Well, it becomes even better if you start from CPH. Under the old rules the round trip would give 2 x 300 points, where as now it will give 2 x 2000 points. That's an 567% increase.

Svantevit
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: OZ D+, BA Silver, IC Royal Plat. Ambassador
One reason to give 100% earnings to other *A programs would be to entice more customers of other FFP's like NH, SQ, TG and OZ to use SK on flights to Scandinavia. If SK gave 100% earnings on OZ on the ICN-PEK-CPH route that they sell, I for one would be more likely to use SK metal. And I know quite some expats based in TYO, PEK, SHA etc. that think the same way. And they would compete better with AY in this market. But if the price goes up as a result, they would loose some non FF tourist traffic I'm sure.

You win some you loose some I guess!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Endesu
One reason to give 100% earnings to other *A programs would be to entice more customers of other FFP's like NH, SQ, TG and OZ to use SK on flights to Scandinavia. If SK gave 100% earnings on OZ on the ICN-PEK-CPH route that they sell, I for one would be more likely to use SK metal. And I know quite some expats based in TYO, PEK, SHA etc. that think the same way. And they would compete better with AY in this market. But if the price goes up as a result, they would loose some non FF tourist traffic I'm sure.

You win some you loose some I guess!
I'm under the impression, that it is the FFP's that decide how many points they fork out for other *A flights.

In your case it'd be OZ deciding, which booking classes on SK earn how much in their FFP
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I'm under the impression, that it is the FFP's that decide how many points they fork out for other *A flights.

In your case it'd be OZ deciding, which booking classes on SK earn how much in their FFP
I think the decision is made based on what the other FFP offers also though. Here's the *A earning chart on OZ: http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...?fid=CLUB15200

Note that SK is the only carrier where you earn only 25% on a number of booking codes. I can't imagine OZ is making this decision randomly. I'm guessing that SK offers 25% on low booking code OZ flights, so OZ is doing the same for SK flights. Otherwise, it would just seem random for OZ to pick 25% earnings, just on SK flights.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: KL, LH, DL, SAS, FI, Marriott, Hilton
I will certainly be using SK more with this change. ^
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by jfidler
Note that SK is the only carrier where you earn only 25% on a number of booking codes. I can't imagine OZ is making this decision randomly. I'm guessing that SK offers 25% on low booking code OZ flights, so OZ is doing the same for SK flights. Otherwise, it would just seem random for OZ to pick 25% earnings, just on SK flights.
I always (wrongly?) assumed that when you credit miles to an FFP, then a certain number of kroner/eur/usd is transferred to the account of the FFP. This at least seems to be very reasonable way of managing this. If this is true, then the credit table is really negotiation between both sides: the airline and the FFP. One says how much they can pay, the other says how much they can do for the money.

But of course my imagination is not a good way to draw any conlcusions from. Perhaps someone here actually knows how this works.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Nope, the *A FFPs have a common database into which they post all transactions that concern partners customers flying their airline. At the end of the year the credits/debits are tallied and any shortfalls are settled with cold hard cash. A similar setup exists for lounge visits. That is one of the reasons they have to scan your BP and actually make any auditable record of your lounge visit.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: SK EB*G
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Nope, the *A FFPs have a common database into which they post all transactions that concern partners customers flying their airline. At the end of the year the credits/debits are tallied and any shortfalls are settled with cold hard cash. A similar setup exists for lounge visits. That is one of the reasons they have to scan your BP and actually make any auditable record of your lounge visit.
Even if they do some type of yearly clearing instead of transactions for every occurence, is the assumption correct that for every flight of a certain length in class X with company Y the FFP (no matter which) gets X dollars from the airline, and then it's up to the FFP to decide the amount points they can award based on this?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Of course it is. However I know that LH for example will not give any credit for the low low regional fares.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Originally Posted by another_shot
Let me see what has changed...
Probably, now the lounges will be more crowded. Congratulations, SAS!
Most probably not. For those flying within Scandinavia&Finland or to/from Europe 1 it is actually now harder to earn Gold, so there should be fewer Golds from those.
Who it is easier to earn Gold now is those flying a few long haul flights a year in low economy, but then again by definition they only fly a few flights a year and therefore do not crowd the lounges so much.

Of course it is not so black&white as some pax are a mix between the two, but as this makes getting gold harder for the most frequent flyers (that is the most frequent out of those that don't easily qualify anyway) and therefore the most frequent lounge users, I think that should even out the effect the additional gold members from low economy long- and medium haul will bring.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: SK EB*G
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Of course it is. However I know that LH for example will not give any credit for the low low regional fares.
But is the amount of dollars fixed - does every FFP (in *A, I guess outside partners has to be separate agreements) gets the same amount of $ from a similar ticket?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: EBG
4. may - buying or flying ?

Hi all

Do you know if it is ok to buy a cheap economy fare (e.g. T or K) now if the flight is after 4. may to get 100% points?

The booking engine for a flight CPH-IAD at the end of may shows 25% earnings, but it might just not be updated to the new rules yet.

Or do I need to fly AND buy after 4.may?

Quite important cause 100% on the IC flight will give me EBG, 25% won't :-)

Thanks for any reply.

Gopolino
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by gopolino
Hi all

Do you know if it is ok to buy a cheap economy fare (e.g. T or K) now if the flight is after 4. may to get 100% points?

The booking engine for a flight CPH-IAD at the end of may shows 25% earnings, but it might just not be updated to the new rules yet.

Or do I need to fly AND buy after 4.may?
Good question! I too wait for an answer. But the right answer should be "non dependent on day of purchase".
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It is no firm answer, but I would be highly surprised if the date of purchase has any relevance to the new earning rules - the decisive factor has always been travel date.

SK IT has apparently not been updated yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.