Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

luggage restrictions changes 1st of October

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

luggage restrictions changes 1st of October

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by dabee69
Looks like it is still just 50kg, check http://www.sas.se/sv/Allt-om-resan/B...gage/?vst=true

Asien Vikt på incheckat bagage Handbagage
Economy 20 kg 1 handbagage à 8 kg
Economy Extra 30 kg 2 handbagage à 8 kg
Business 30 kg 2 handbagage à 8 kg

Those are the current rules, the new rules come on 01OCT
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by AspirationalFF
Can someone please confirm for me, before I do a facepalm at the airport, that as EBS the new rules will allow me two pieces of 23kg each even when traveling in economy? 1x23kg with the ticket + 1x23kg with the Silver status? (That would finally make EBS somewhat worthwhile for me!)

-AspFF
yes, based on what's been said so far

Originally Posted by AspirationalFF
(That would finally make EBS somewhat worthwhile for me!)-AspFF
others can say that Gold benefits have been watered down

EBP member 2 extra pieces

EBG Gold members /Star Alliance Gold members 1 extra piece

EBS members 1 extra piece
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
I am not 100% sure I like the changes but it is at least good that SK becomes consistent allover its network.

Now it only would be nice if ALL network carriers could get their act together and become harmonized again.

Several airlines charge pretty much for checking in a bag weighing between 23kg and 32kg and for example SKs Z fares are for business on the transtalntic segment and coach in United States. So checking in for the homebound on United can become expensive...

And as far as I understand it is the rules of the first carrier that actually determines any extra fees, or?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 5:58 pm

Hand luggage for SAS within Europe

Hi everyone. This coming week, we will be flying from ORD to LHR and later in Paris, we have a SAS flight from Charles De Gaulle to Stockholm Arlanda. I noticed the 20kg limit for checked luggage although BA (and other airlines) has a 23kg limit. So, we will be verifying all our checked luggage is no heavier than 20kg.

BA does not show a weight restriction for carry-on / hand luggage but SAS shows a 8kg limit. Not having flown within Europe for a long time, how strict is SAS with hand luggage weighing 10kg? Do they weigh hand luggages or as long as it fits in the overhead compartment, it will be ok. I will also be carrying a laptop bag. Does SAS consider this as a second hand luggage and therefore treat it differently - for example, ask to check the laptop bag in and charge me extra.

Appreciate your help.

Best Regards to all.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
On CO flights to/from SK hubs, all *Golds -- including SK *Golds -- get a free baggage allowance of up to 3 pieces x 32kg = 96kg regardless of class of service flown.

So SK *Gs flying economy class from NYC to OSL/CPH/ARN with a lot of shopping in tow are going to have a greater free luggage allowance when flying CO in coach than when flying SK in coach.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GetAA81Back2ARN

And as far as I understand it is the rules of the first carrier that actually determines any extra fees, or?
In practice, generally the charges/allowance that apply are the charges/allowance of the operating carrier who tagged your bags for the flight(s) being flown. However, if you have to re-check your bags and get them tagged at an onward airport, then it's generally the rules of the operating carrier that prevail.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thebanker
Hi everyone. This coming week, we will be flying from ORD to LHR and later in Paris, we have a SAS flight from Charles De Gaulle to Stockholm Arlanda. I noticed the 20kg limit for checked luggage although BA (and other airlines) has a 23kg limit. So, we will be verifying all our checked luggage is no heavier than 20kg.

BA does not show a weight restriction for carry-on / hand luggage but SAS shows a 8kg limit. Not having flown within Europe for a long time, how strict is SAS with hand luggage weighing 10kg? Do they weigh hand luggages or as long as it fits in the overhead compartment, it will be ok. I will also be carrying a laptop bag. Does SAS consider this as a second hand luggage and therefore treat it differently - for example, ask to check the laptop bag in and charge me extra.

Appreciate your help.

Best Regards to all.
Regardless of class of service, I haven't had SK weigh my carry-ons in quite some time. Even when flying economy class, I often have a small laptop bag and a backpack or other carry-on and have not had SK make a fuss of it except in exceptional situations quite some time ago. Sometimes now I get a bit creative so as to avoid having the SK agents at check-in see my (other) carry-on(s) -- and once I make it to the gate, I'm pretty much in the clear.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
I am not that keen seeing this concept getting more common - extra 20kg swapped for 1 extra unit. First AF/KLM, now SK. I hope LH and LX keep the old rules. I am happy to carry one 26-28kg suitcase (sometimes 30), rather than having two half-full medium sized with me, in which things get mixed up.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 3:33 pm

Thanks GUWONDER for the reassurance about the carryon/hand luggage. One less worry for me.

Best Regards,

Bernard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.