Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

luggage restrictions changes 1st of October

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

luggage restrictions changes 1st of October

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: EB / FB / Topbonus
Thumbs up luggage restrictions changes 1st of October

For flights taking place after 1st of October as well as booked after 1st of July, these are the new restrictions for all SAS flights incl Blue1 and Widerø;

· Business 2 x 32 kg
· Economy Extra 2 x 23 kg
· Economy 1 x 23 kg

and new Eurobonus rules

EBP member 2 extra pieces

EBG Gold members /Star Alliance Gold members 1 extra piece

EBS members 1 extra piece

The current rules can be found at:http://www.sas.se/sv/Allt-om-resan/B...heckat-bagage/ and the new rules can be found in their press release.

Last edited by daniel-andersson; Jun 20, 2010 at 4:30 pm Reason: added the new EB rules.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: SK-EBD*G, AF Ivory, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG, Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
3 more kg in Economy, but as far as I can see they reduce the Econ Extra allowance from 32 to 23 per bag.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:13 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Previously you could take one extra bag as EBG regardless of travel class. Luckily I don'tfly as much TATL with a lot of luggage anymore, but a year ago this would have ruled completely SK out as an option. I needed 3 checked bags and always flew Economy.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: EY Silver, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by niksal
Previously you could take one extra bag as EBG regardless of travel class. Luckily I don'tfly as much TATL with a lot of luggage anymore, but a year ago this would have ruled completely SK out as an option. I needed 3 checked bags and always flew Economy.
As EBG you can take an extra bag, but this change means only 2 bags now in Economy (23kg+23kg) instead of 3 previously, and 3 bags in Economy Extra or Business (32kg+32kg+32kg).

Only 1 bag to the USA now instead of 2 for Economy passengers - guess this is what all other carriers are now doing so that is OK, however for flights to North America EBS members can now only take 1 bag (and no extra 10kg) also it seems They really should extend to allow 1 bag at 32kg (instead of 23kg) for EBS members.

I am surprised they would restrict EBSs to one bag and no additional 10kg on USA flights while allowing it on all other SAS flights, including those to Asia. The already little benefit of being EBS is now even less!

Last edited by naitkris; Jun 17, 2010 at 4:43 am
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:35 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
Do you guys actually read the whole thing, or just parts of it? As you seems to have missed this part:

Vid resa till USA får Guldmedlemmar checka in 1 extra bagage på max 32 kg i Business och Economy Extra och 23 kg i Economy."
The trip to the USA Gold Members may check in an additional baggage of up to 32 kg in Business and Economy Extra and 23 kg in Economy."
I.e. One extra bag on either 32kg or 23kg depending on which class you're flying
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:56 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by pswe
3 more kg in Economy, but as far as I can see they reduce the Econ Extra allowance from 32 to 23 per bag.
As you can se on the website, http://www.sas.se/sv/Allt-om-resan/B...heckat-bagage/ , you are allowed 2x32 kg in Economy Extra. Original poster must have made a typo.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SAS Salesinfo:

Code:
17JUN10
SAS New Baggage Allowance Concept
SAS introduces a new baggage allowance concept and the current weight and piece concept is replaced by a harmonized piece concept worldwide.
SAS introduces a new baggage allowance concept and the current weight and piece concept is replaced by a harmonized piece concept worldwide.

The new free baggage allowance concept will apply on all SK, KF and WF operating flights, booked on/after 01JUL10 for travel on/after 01OCT10. The free baggage allowance is the same in the SAS Group route network, regardless of destination.

The new free baggage allowance

* Business Class: 2 x 32 kg
    * Economy Extra:  2 x 23 kg
    * Economy Class: 1 x 23kg 

Sporting Equipment, Musical instruments and Special baggage

Sporting equipment, musical instruments and other special baggage are included in the free baggage allowance. When exceeding the free baggage allowance, charges are the same as for regular extra baggage (depending on weight and dimension). The excess charge rates are changed.

* Special flat rates apply for snow ski and golf equipment
    * Odd types of special baggage, as well as regular baggage exceeding the free baggage allowance, must be requested in advance.

Policy during the transitional period

Tickets sold on/after 01JUL10, in other reservation systems than ResAid and Amadeus, may state the new allowance, not valid until 01OCT10. In these cases the passengers are entitled to the allowances valid today. The most generous rule applies during the transitional period.

Baggage pages in Sales Information, Amadeus and SPP will be updated accordingly.
Code:
 Baggage allowance - valid for sale 01JUL10 and for travel 01OCT10
SAS new free baggage allowance concept will apply on all SK, KF and WF operating flights, booked on/after 01JUL10 for travel on/after 01OCT10. The free baggage allowance is the same for the SAS Group route network, regardless of destination.

Class of service 	Piece Allowance 	Maximum weight per piece 	Maximum size per piece (lenght + width + height)
Business class 	

32 kg / 70 lbs
	158 cm / 62 "
Economy Extra 	

23 kg / 50 lbs
	158 cm / 62 "
Economy class 	

23 kg / 50 lbs
	158 cm / 62 "
Any class - Infant

1 + one baby pram

23 kg / 50 lbs
	115 cm / 45 "
Ships crew with Seaman Reduction 	              2 	

According to service class  
	158 cm / 62 "
EBP member 	2 extra pieces 	  According to service class 	158 cm / 62 "
EBG Gold members /
Star Alliance Gold members 	

1 extra piece 

158 cm / 62 "
EBS members 	

1 extra piece 

158 cm / 62 "
I give two ^^ for switching from weight to piece concept entirely
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by daniel-andersson
For flights taking place after 1st of October as well as booked after 1st of July, these are the new restrictions for all SAS flights incl Blue1 and Widerø;

· Business 2 x 32 kg
· Economy Extra 2 x 23 kg
· Economy 1 x 23 kg

Silver:
+ 10 kg except USA.

Gold:
+20 kg except USA (for USA, gold members can take an extra bag if they go in Economy Extra or in business class)

The current rules can be found at:http://www.sas.se/sv/Allt-om-resan/B...heckat-bagage/ and the new rules can be found in their press release.
did they really specify in the press release that silver and gold allowances would remain unchanged?
If yes it doesn't make sense, silver is allowed +10kg but they can't only take 1 case in Economy, 10+23=33kg, but a suticase mustn't weigh more than 32 kg either they must allow silver to take 2 cases or reduce the silver benefit to 9kg
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
SAS Salesinfo:

Code:
17JUN10
SAS New Baggage Allowance Concept

The new free baggage allowance concept will apply on all SK, KF and WF operating flights, booked on/after 01JUL10 for travel on/after 01OCT10. The free baggage allowance is the same in the SAS Group route network, regardless of destination.

The new free baggage allowance

* Business Class: 2 x 32 kg
    * Economy Extra:  2 x 23 kg
    * Economy Class: 1 x 23kg 

Sporting Equipment, Musical instruments and Special baggage

Sporting equipment, musical instruments and other special baggage are included in the free baggage allowance. When exceeding the free baggage allowance, charges are the same as for regular extra baggage (depending on weight and dimension). The excess charge rates are changed.

* Special flat rates apply for snow ski and golf equipment
    * Odd types of special baggage, as well as regular baggage exceeding the free baggage allowance, must be requested in advance.

Policy during the transitional period

Tickets sold on/after 01JUL10, in other reservation systems than ResAid and Amadeus, may state the new allowance, not valid until 01OCT10. In these cases the passengers are entitled to the allowances valid today. The most generous rule applies during the transitional period.

Baggage pages in Sales Information, Amadeus and SPP will be updated accordingly.
Code:
 Baggage allowance - valid for sale 01JUL10 and for travel 01OCT10
SAS new free baggage allowance concept will apply on all SK, KF and WF operating flights, booked on/after 01JUL10 for travel on/after 01OCT10. The free baggage allowance is the same for the SAS Group route network, regardless of destination.

Class of service 	Piece Allowance 	Maximum weight per piece 	Maximum size per piece (lenght + width + height)
Business class 	

32 kg / 70 lbs
	158 cm / 62 "
Economy Extra 	

23 kg / 50 lbs
	158 cm / 62 "
Economy class 	

23 kg / 50 lbs
	158 cm / 62 "
Any class - Infant

1 + one baby pram

23 kg / 50 lbs
	115 cm / 45 "
Ships crew with Seaman Reduction 	              2 	

158 cm / 62 "
EBP member 	2 extra pieces 	  According to service class 	158 cm / 62 "
EBG Gold members /
Star Alliance Gold members 	

1 extra piece 

158 cm / 62 "
EBS members 	

1 extra piece 

158 cm / 62 "
I give two ^^ for switching from weight to piece concept entirely
Aha, just what I thought, they are changing the benefits for Silver/Gold as well

so Silver who travels Economy can thus take 2x23kg

AF/KLM changed their rules in a similar way, before FB silver could take 25kg now it's 2x23kg
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Aha, just what I thought, they are changing the benefits for Silver/Gold as well

so Silver who travels Economy can thus take 2x23kg

AF/KLM changed their rules in a similar way, before FB silver could take 25kg now it's 2x23kg
Does this means 1 extra piece to USA with EBS?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Just checked the SAS Sales Info page and there is also a major change in the excess baggage charges.

The excess charge will now depend on three factors. This is valid for all SAS flights.

*The route (domestic/Europe/Intercontinental)
*Exceeding weight (max 23 kg/24-32 kg/33-45 kg)
*Dimension of bag (max 158 cm/159-200 cm/201-277 cm).

The charge will obviously increase the longer/higher the route/the weight/the size from 20 € (domestic, max 23 kg/max 158 cm) to maximum 240 € (intercont, 33-45 kg, 201-277 cm).

Then there is a special fee for ski and golf quipment and well as a bike.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EB / FB / Topbonus
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
did they really specify in the press release that silver and gold allowances would remain unchanged?
If yes it doesn't make sense, silver is allowed +10kg but they can't only take 1 case in Economy, 10+23=33kg, but a suticase mustn't weigh more than 32 kg either they must allow silver to take 2 cases or reduce the silver benefit to 9kg
Nope, as some already wrote it seem like they will change that as well.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:25 am

Programs: SK*G, FI
This is a major improvement for me. Being able to take with me 84 kg instead of 50 kg on Asian routes when traveling in C.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 1:46 am

Programs: A3*G, ex SK*G
Can someone please confirm for me, before I do a facepalm at the airport, that as EBS the new rules will allow me two pieces of 23kg each even when traveling in economy? 1x23kg with the ticket + 1x23kg with the Silver status? (That would finally make EBS somewhat worthwhile for me!)

-AspFF
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:17 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by korpen
This is a major improvement for me. Being able to take with me 84 kg instead of 50 kg on Asian routes when traveling in C.
Looks like it is still just 50kg, check http://www.sas.se/sv/Allt-om-resan/B...gage/?vst=true

Asien Vikt på incheckat bagage Handbagage
Economy 20 kg 1 handbagage à 8 kg
Economy Extra 30 kg 2 handbagage à 8 kg
Business 30 kg 2 handbagage à 8 kg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.