Wiki Posts
Search

SAS preparing to be bought

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, SAS EB Basic, CX MPC, KLM FB, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
SAS preparing to be bought

At least according to their CEO (article in Swedish: http://di.se/Artiklar/2010/6/8/20852...r=273308&rlt=0 ) Perhaps not news, but I missed that they were so blunt about it. He basically says their focus now is to get cash flow so that someone can buy them next year.

Wonder which someone that is going to be?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:54 am

Thats why I have bought some shares. SAS will either merge with Finnair or bought by LH, BA or AF.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:54 am

Programs: EB / FB / Topbonus
They tried to sell it before but they didnt got the price which they were asking for. If they will "push" to sell it, the price will be lower than whats its worth and hence not a good investment. So the big question is if SAS could become attractive. As for myself, I wouldnt take such a risk with my knowledge of SAS (which btw isnt that much).
Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by daniel-andersson
They tried to sell it before but they didnt got the price which they were asking for. If they will "push" to sell it, the price will be lower than whats its worth and hence not a good investment. So the big question is if SAS could become attractive. As for myself, I wouldnt take such a risk with my knowledge of SAS (which btw isnt that much).
I actually don't think the problem lies with SAS, but more in the airline business. SAS supposedly had a positive cashflow in March, and would've had it in April as well if it hadn't been for the ash, so they're apparently in better shape than most network carriers.

But the problem with the airline business is that it's extremely sensitive for external effects such as strikes, terrorist attacks and (the new kid on the block) volcanic eruptions. So I wouldn't put my money in any airline, period.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: Various
It makes sense to sell SAS. The owners really don't want to own it and keep their shares as a form of terror balance. The company is too bureaucratic(or has been) and a new owner may do something about this without being hindered by political considerations to the same extent that SAS current management is.

I also think that they see a need for mergers to create bigger stronger companies just like in the US because the airlines apparently cannot make it alone. I don't know if they are right or not but it seems like everyone in the business talks mergers.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
if they are sold, i am hoping on lufthansa being the new owners... if not, merge with finnair would also work...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bludnik
if they are sold, i am hoping on lufthansa being the new owners... if not, merge with finnair would also work...
Finnair has its own big problems right now. Beyond that, though, there is not much hope for a 'greater Nordic airline'. Much of the difficulty SAS has stems from their strategy of trying to operate out of two and a half hubs. How could adding HEL to the mix do anything other than make a desperate situation even worse?

cheers,

Henry
Old Jun 10, 2010, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by bludnik
Putting the sick and the ailing in one boat would heal them?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: too many to list
Originally Posted by henry999
Much of the difficulty SAS has stems from their strategy of trying to operate out of two and a half hubs. How could adding HEL to the mix do anything other than make a desperate situation even worse?
Maybe they could drop CPH, ARN and OSL, and have HEL as their only hub?

Seriously, I can't see how SK/AY merger would help anything. Considering that there is not much competition outside AY and SK/KF in a major area, the merger would probably have tough time getting approval from the EU as well.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Putting the sick and the ailing in one boat would heal them?
AY being the ailing?

I think out of the possibilities.. the only one with any cash flow right now is LH. Doubt BA will take SK with their recent merger with IB and BA's own problems with cabin crew strike..

Maybe EK would be interested ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.