Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Volcanic ash disrupts airtravel in Northern Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash disrupts airtravel in Northern Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:18 pm
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Latest forecasts doesn't give much hope for improvement tomorrow (saturday). ARN will most likely remain closed all day since the winds have shifted in an unfavorably manner for Sweden according to news media.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
This Xucks, I'm going to KUL on monday... on the upper deck as well, Tommy
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Gustaf
This Xucks, I'm going to KUL on monday... on the upper deck as well, Tommy
Poor luck. But as always in these situations it's better to be at home not being able to leave on holiday/business meeting/whatever than actually being stuck somewhere in Europe/the world involuntarily and not being able to get home.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by jth
Then i will lose my EBS status
Well, you're lucky as you won't fall from very high.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Which boat lines provide elite status and points?
At least Tallink-Silja Line with their three tier ClubONE program.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jacob_m
Poor luck. But as always in these situations it's better to be at home not being able to leave on holiday/business meeting/whatever than actually being stuck somewhere in Europe/the world involuntarily and not being able to get home.
True, especially if you are travelling on your own dime.

Just got home and my guess is that my next flight on Sunday evening won't materialize.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Fortunately, my mother-in-law and niece have a place to stay for free. Although, I'm considering seeing if I can enroll my niece into the local high school until she can go home.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by tsastor
True, especially if you are travelling on your own dime.

Just got home and my guess is that my next flight on Sunday evening won't materialize.
I had travel plans for next week as well, but no way I'm going out into the chaos again. Telecons and e-mails will have to do...

When I spoke to our travel coordinator this afternoon I asked her if there were any other people she was helping.
Apparently a woman from my company is stuck in Brussels, and it's absolutely impossible for her to get away from there. There is not a single train available to any destination, no rental cars, no buses, no flights, nothing.
The first train with an available seat she had managed to find was for Monday.
She'll be stuck there for the weekend for sure.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:56 pm
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
I was out to arlanda and sampled the deserted air this evening.

http://bilder.badanka.com/thumbnails.php?album=196
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by jth
I was out to arlanda and sampled the deserted air this evening.

http://bilder.badanka.com/thumbnails.php?album=196
Nice to see, thanks for the pics!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I had travel plans for next week as well, but no way I'm going out into the chaos again. Telecons and e-mails will have to do...

When I spoke to our travel coordinator this afternoon I asked her if there were any other people she was helping.
Apparently a woman from my company is stuck in Brussels, and it's absolutely impossible for her to get away from there. There is not a single train available to any destination, no rental cars, no buses, no flights, nothing.
The first train with an available seat she had managed to find was for Monday.
She'll be stuck there for the weekend for sure.
I just read about someone inquiring about hiring a taxi from London to Zurich. So why not for Brussels to at least Denmark?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I just read about someone inquiring about hiring a taxi from London to Zurich. So why not for Brussels to at least Denmark?
Cheaper to hire a small piston Cessna. They are still flying around a bit, you just need to know the right phone number.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: SK EBS
Iīm stuck in Prague myself, trying to get back to ARN, to have some kind of weekend All trains from Prague is sold out, no rental cars available (actually considerd to drive home). Leaving for Malta on tuesday again... My travel agent says they canīt do anything (which I of course can understand)...

oh well. Prague isnīt too bad.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:00 pm

Stuck in London, three re-booked and cancelled flights later. Now leaving on monday morning instead with Eurostar to Cologne, then car through Germany and then hopefully a ferry on the last leg to get back to Sweden.

But yet, quite alright, will be fun crossing the channel by train, haven't been driving through Germany in a long time, and it was even longer since I took a sleeper ferry. Hopefully I'll be able to do some shopping at the German border too!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: LH M&M, Best Western GCCI Platinum Member, German Railroads (Deutsche Bahn) Bahn Comfort
Originally Posted by bnccnb
Iīm stuck in Prague myself, trying to get back to ARN, to have some kind of weekend All trains from Prague is sold out, no rental cars available (actually considerd to drive home). Leaving for Malta on tuesday again... My travel agent says they canīt do anything (which I of course can understand)...

oh well. Prague isnīt too bad.
There are busses running at least to Berlin, but from there to Sweden as well. And they are not outsold yet for sunday... www.touring.de

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.