Search

Shopping Near SFO International Airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer; Hyatt Gold Passport; JAL mileage
Shopping Near SFO International Airport

Dear All,

Would like to go to SFO this April for transit. Any shopping outlets near SFO international Airport? Eg. Outlet Mall, Macy's Marvin, Walmart etc.

Best Regards,
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:05 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take BART one stop to the San Bruno (not the other direction to Millbrae) station. The BART San Bruno stop is co-located with the Tanforan Plaza shopping mall.

Unfortunately, BART will charge you $4.05 each way for this short trip, but it's still the most convenient way to do it without a car.

If you have a car, take 380 to El Camino Real (first exit) and turn right, you'll see the mall.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
As far as regional malls go, the closest (other than Tanforan) is probably Serramonte in Daly City.

However, for an alternative with easy access via public transit, BART will take you directly from SFO to the 'vertical' Westfield San Francisco Centre Mall in downtown San Francisco. The BART Powell Street Station is directly connected to the mall.

http://westfield.com/sanfrancisco

http://www.serramontecenter.com

http://www.theshopsattanforan.com/html/index18.asp
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tanforan is convenient but know that the stores tend to range toward the lower end of retail - Old Navy, Target, etc. Those are still good stores but they won't have what you are looking for if you are looking for higher end fashion. The alternative is to take Bart all the way downtown (30-45 minutes) and shop in Union Square.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
If you have time, I'd recommend going into downtown. The mall near SFO in San Bruno is nothing special.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
If you have time, I'd recommend going into downtown. The mall near SFO in San Bruno is nothing special.
It's got a large bookstore (with coffee shop) open until at least 10pm, which can be very nice in case of delayed flights! Other than that, I kind of like the thingie next to the escalator at Target that moves shopping carts up and downstairs. The stores there, nope, nothing special, agreed.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The OP did note outlets and Wal-Mart in his/her post, so the Target, JCPenney and Sears stores in Tanforan might be appropriate (I assume that "Marvin" referred to Mervyns, which AFAIK has gone out of business).
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott TE, Hhonors Dia
The Tanforan mall is the fastest to reach, downtown SF offers the most interesting options, but for completeness there is also the Hillsdale mall in San Mateo. It's a typical mall, between Tanforan and downtown SF in terms of the offerings, and it's a 20 minute trip down 101 on the SamTrans KX express bus.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
I've hit the San Bruno mall a couple of times after arriving at SFO when I've forgotten stuff.

For those occasions, Target is your friend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.