SFO to Fairmont and back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO to Fairmont and back

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2008, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
SFO to Fairmont and back

We haven't been to San Francisco in a long time (25+ years) and are arriving on Sunday 5/11/08 about noon with carry on baggage.

It appears that the best way to get from SFO to the Fairmont is BART from SFO to the Embarcadero Station and the California Ave Cable Car to the Hotel.

We need to go back to SFO on Tuesday Evening to be at the airport by 9:30 PM for our flight home on NW and would anticipate reversing the route.

We'd appreciate recommendations about the best ways to do this. TIA for your help.
Old May 9, 2008, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Or you could take the #1 California Bus, which runs west on Sacramento Ave, one block to the north of California (exit at the corner of Mason and Sacramento, at the door of the Fairmont).
Old May 9, 2008, 6:16 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cable cars can be awfully crowded and cost $5 but the bus is only $1.50. It is walkable though from the Bart station
Old May 9, 2008, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Thank you both. I'll let the Mrs. decide.
Old May 9, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
We haven't been to San Francisco in a long time (25+ years) and are arriving on Sunday 5/11/08 about noon with carry on baggage.

It appears that the best way to get from SFO to the Fairmont is BART from SFO to the Embarcadero Station and the California Ave Cable Car to the Hotel.

We need to go back to SFO on Tuesday Evening to be at the airport by 9:30 PM for our flight home on NW and would anticipate reversing the route.

We'd appreciate recommendations about the best ways to do this. TIA for your help.
The Fairmont is actually closer to Powell BART station than it is to Embarcadero Station. Carryon only--especially a rollaboard--I think you're nuts to take either the cable car or bus. If you're in good (or even reasonable) shape, then take BART to Powell Station and walk the 8 blocks up Mason to your hotel.

FYI, it's California Street; probably doesn't matter, but I'd hate to have some wise guy taxi driver take you out to California Ave, which is out on Treasure Island.
Old May 10, 2008, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
The Fairmont is actually closer to Powell BART station than it is to Embarcadero Station. Carryon only--especially a rollaboard--I think you're nuts to take either the cable car or bus. If you're in good (or even reasonable) shape, then take BART to Powell Station and walk the 8 blocks up Mason to your hotel.

FYI, it's California Street; probably doesn't matter, but I'd hate to have some wise guy taxi driver take you out to California Ave, which is out on Treasure Island.
Yes, they're 2 rollaboards and a backpack for the electronics.

We're in out mid/late 60's, in OK shape, so I guess we can walk.

Also, tnx for the street name correction.
Old May 10, 2008, 1:25 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides

Although the Powell station is closer, at noon on a Sunday there's going to be a long line of people waiting for the Powell cable car. The California one is a much better bet, especially with a rollaboard. The 8 blocks to the hotel is eight blocks, but pretty steep there at the end.
Old May 10, 2008, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
To help you judge, here is a photo of the California Street elevation:

http://equivocalcatharsis.com/images...nia-street.jpg

(the photo looks to have be taken from about two or three blocks from the Embarcadero BART station)

IMHO (and obviously, people's conception of what constitutes an "easy walk" varies), I would never send someone walking up to the crest of Nob Hill, especially with luggage.

More information on the historical Fairmont:

http://www.sfcityguides.org/public_g...d2=TRUE%2F
Old May 10, 2008, 10:17 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree with the above poster. While I might consider walking FROM the Fairmont to Bart with baggage, I wouldn't recommend walking TO the hotel -- either up California or up Powell. But even downhill, it's pretty steep.
Old May 10, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Boghopper
The 8 blocks to the hotel is eight blocks, but pretty steep there at the end.
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I would never send someone walking up to the crest of Nob Hill, especially with luggage.
You both have a good point. I don't consider Nob Hill to be too bad, but I've been walking over the top of Golden Gate Heights everyday for ten years. If OPs do not want to take the short-but steep-trek up Mason, then I think the best bet is BART to Embarcadero, then a cab from the stand there at the Hyatt Embarcadero up California to their hotel. A taxi will be cheaper than the cable car--and way faster, and I wouldn't want to wait around for the bus either, especially since the short cab ride is only going to be $6-8.
Old May 10, 2008, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for all of the information and advice. It's really appreciated. We'll go with Embarcadero and a cab as the easiest way.

The posted links were great. The view up California St is awesome and I'm glad to ride rather than trek it. The Fairmont history is fascinating. I put a copy in the packet that the Mrs will be reading on the flight out tomorrow.

The weather forecast seem good and she's looking forward to seeing her godson tomorrow evening.

Thanks again for your guidance.
Old May 11, 2008, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

We got here.

Bought 3 day Muni passes at the Informaton Booth at CO baggage claim for $18 each since we figured that we'd be in the city for all of this trip. Took the BART to Embarcadero and the California St Cable Car to the hotel. Simple and easy.

We walked DOWN Powell this afternoon and were glad we didn't try to go up it with luggage. There was a LONG line for the Powell Cable Car at Market so we walked 2 blocks up Powell and got the next car.

We've got a great room on the 18th floor of the Fairmont (bought on a half price 1 day sale + a hotel.com 10% discount with a view of the bay, Alcatraz, and The Golden Gate Bridge.

Again thanks for the help and advice. ^^^

Last edited by SuperG1955; May 16, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.