Wiki Posts
Search

OAK to DCA????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
OAK to DCA????

I'm planning to take the family to DC next summer 08. I would like to minimize flight problems due to weather. If I take a flight out of OAK using AA/UA, I'm going have to connect via ORD or DFW. So, does it make a difference in which month weather wise(ie June, July, Aug) or time of day I fly? Comments or options? Thanks for any input.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT California Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If you're concerned about weather at connecting airports, which is a risk even in the summer (thunderstorms), you might be better going over to SFO and taking the nonstop SFO-IAD on UA. There's a couple public transit options to get you from there into D.C. (see Washington D.C. forum).
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You also have an option on AS through SEA - SEA is unlikely to have much in the weather-delay problems for connection issues. However, you don't have many options as far as flight times, etc. The UA and AA connection points can always lead to trouble. Also, you can earn miles on AS, AA, CO, DL or NW by flying AS.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:12 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Why not fly non-stop?

Cutting out the connection reduces the risk of being stranded in the middle and reduces total air travel time. Yes, using an alternate airport adds back some of the travel time, but usually not as much as cutting out the connection saves.

Nonstop options:

OAK-IAD: Jet Blue
SFO-IAD: United, Virgin America
OAK-BWI: Southwest
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver
Forget IAD...stick w/ DCA

Hey,

So two weeks ago I had my first experience using Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA). On all my other trips to DC, I have always used Washington Dulles (IAD).

Never again will question using DCA when my actual reason of flying to DC is to be in DC. IAD is great for connections, but if you're actually staying in DC, it's so much easier. All I can say is that it was a $15 cab ride and was in the cab at the airport and to my hotel near the White House in 10 minutes flat.

From Oakland, on UA I'd say connect through DEN (fewer weather problems than ORD). I just did mine on US from Burbank to Phoenix to DCA with no problems.

If you're using IAD to transit to a European flight, that's greaet, but Dulles is 45 minutes (with no traffic) and an expensive cab ride/shuttle out of Washington DC...and that's just a huge pain to deal with.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by OxyChaz
Dulles is 45 minutes (with no traffic) and an expensive cab ride/shuttle out of Washington DC...and that's just a huge pain to deal with.
Or a $3 bus ride from the Roslyn station.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You also have an option on AS through SEA - SEA is unlikely to have much in the weather-delay problems for connection issues. However, you don't have many options as far as flight times, etc. The UA and AA connection points can always lead to trouble. Also, you can earn miles on AS, AA, CO, DL or NW by flying AS.
Had not consider AS as an option. I have some orphaned AS miles I could use.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by OxyChaz
...Never again will question using DCA when my actual reason of flying to DC is to be in DC. IAD is great for connections, but if you're actually staying in DC, it's so much easier. ...
So much easier that you add a connection? IAD adds typically 30 minutes to your ground time if the District is your destination. A connection would add at least twice that, and a whole lot more if there are flight delays or cancellations. And that's not even considering the hassle factor of changing planes at a busy airport.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
So much easier that you add a connection? IAD adds typically 30 minutes to your ground time if the District is your destination. A connection would add at least twice that, and a whole lot more if there are flight delays or cancellations. And that's not even considering the hassle factor of changing planes at a busy airport.
I would say it's more like an hour than 30 minutes. It obviously depends on the time of day, but it could take an hour to get into the District from IAD, and of course you have the wonderful people movers before you even get to the main terminal. Plus I'd guess there are worse air traffic delays at IAD.

Of course, it comes down to personal preference, but I might take a connection to DCA over a nonstop to IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.