Search

Two nights in SFO...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Two nights in SFO...

Sorry I know it must have been asked 100's times before!

I don't have much time to research this by searching FT.

I will be landing in SFO at 9pm Sat and leaving 4pm monday. What hotel should i check into? budget ($200 a night)

What all are the must see's? I will have a rental. What do you suggest we do once we land on Saturday night? Where is a lively place to hang out?

On the sunday we would like to see the city? What all to see?

Will we have enough time to see Alcatraz on monday? How long should it take and how do i go about doing it?

Thank you for taking some time out ^
Old Jun 16, 2007, 3:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You might want to take a look at the sticky thread at the very top of the forum......

And the first answer here
http://web4.flyertalk.com/forum/show...wpost&t=704643
is one that applies equally well in this forum

cblaisd
Senior Moderator
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:18 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
SF is a very good city for hotel rooms via Priceline, especially on weekends. Just bid for a 4* or 5* and spend the cash you save on food (which is also very good in SF).

Personally, I would not use a rental car as the city is small, the parking is expensive, and the public transit is good.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 7:45 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
My advice is ditch the rental car, use BART to get to the city and spend the money you save on a nice centrally located hotel. You can see SF very well with public transport, and having a car is just an extra pain.

Fisherman's Wharf and Alcatraz are a good use of one day. But be sure to pre-purchase Alcatraz tickets as they usually sell out.

I'm sure that you can easily find more great info here by searching, hope this will help get you started.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 7:45 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
I recommend you stay around Fisherman’s Warf. Last time I stayed in Union Square and find Fisherman’s Warf is a better place to stay unless you are there to shop. I would not use a car you can walk around and use public transport easily.

Alcatraz is a great trip and you only need a few hours but make sure you book over the net a few days before as tickets sell out very fast. Make sure you go see the sea lions amd walk around Pier 39.

There are some good restaurants around Little Italy. I had a great feed at "Mangarosa" on Stockton St between Union and Columbus. There is also a fantastic little bar right next door full of locals, Sebastian the Bar Manager is fantastic and makes a great drink.

Last edited by hobarthoney; Jun 18, 2007 at 7:22 pm
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Perfect! That will fill up my two days. Thank you!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:50 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
If you want to try something really silly but fun, rent a GO car with GPS and take a tour of the city.

Alternatively, rent bikes a Fisherman's Wharf, ride out to and over the Golden Gate Bridge, turn right and ride to Sausilito, take the ferry back. It's an easy 1/2 day ride.

Lastly, take one of the 1 hour cruises on an old fishing boat that goes out to Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate Bridge. I'm not talking about one of the big cruise boats but rather one of the smaller ones that takes 10 or fewer people. My favorite is the guy with the straw hat and the rattiest boat in the fleet who's boat holds a max of 6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.