Search

S.F.O. To Vote On Sleeping Stations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
S.F.O. To Vote On Sleeping Stations

June 5- KGO - People facing long layovers at S.F.O may soon have a place to officially nap - for a price.

Sleepy travelers at S.F.O would do just about anything for a comfortable place to nap. Trying desperately to catch a cat nap in an uncomfortable airport chair can be a burden though. A new idea would create a napping station for travelers.

Travelers would have a comfortable place to sleep. It would be complete with soothing sounds and maybe even a shower. It would cost $20 dollars to $25 dollars for about a 20 to 25-minute nap - so it wouldn't be cheap. The passengers say it sounds dreamy, but they do have some concerns.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...cal&id=5365730

They really expect people to pay $20-$25 for this?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
June 5- KGO - People facing long layovers at S.F.O may soon have a place to officially nap - for a price.

Sleepy travelers at S.F.O would do just about anything for a comfortable place to nap. Trying desperately to catch a cat nap in an uncomfortable airport chair can be a burden though. A new idea would create a napping station for travelers.

Travelers would have a comfortable place to sleep. It would be complete with soothing sounds and maybe even a shower. It would cost $20 dollars to $25 dollars for about a 20 to 25-minute nap - so it wouldn't be cheap. The passengers say it sounds dreamy, but they do have some concerns.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...cal&id=5365730

If it comes with a shower, I think there will be a market for it.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Way too much $ for what is purports to be. I know the vendor would probably have to charge this much to make it worth it, but at that price, it isn't. An hour, with a place to securely keep your things, and a place to freshen up after the hour - then you have something. For this price, you can get a massage (well, maybe not @ SFO).
Old Jun 5, 2007, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

A paragraph from the article:

"A company called 'Power Naps' thinks it has the answer. Special recliner chairs designed especially for cat naps. The napper experiences zero gravity and soothing sounds to help guide you to sleep. The manufacturer claims a 20 minute power nap in this chair is equivalent of three hours sleep. Sounds great but is it worth $20 dollars? Passengers say when you're uncomfortable - then yes."

Zero gravity! Think how much that costs to experience from that Virgin Galatic company, $20 is a steal. This is beginning to sound like b.s.

So how come the article is from KGO (no periods) but calls the airport S.F.O. (three periods)?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Has any domestic airport ever tried having a Tokyo-style sleeping space hotel? At the right price, it might work for budget-minded solo travellers.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
...Zero gravity! Think how much that costs to experience from that Virgin Galatic company, $20 is a steal. This is beginning to sound like b.s. ...
Goodness. I can understand how a creative PR person from the company selling this might write that, but when the "journalist" repeats the line in her copy, that's pretty pathetic. The reporter's pretty face accompanies the article, and she's not doing much to counter the idea that her face is the primary reason she's on TV.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by tom911

Don't have too much trouble with the $20-25. The 20 minutes is the problem
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:00 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Thinking back, I'd probably pay 20-40 for a japanese style sleeping tube and storage locker for between 2-4 hours of sleep. Throw in a shower I'd add 10 bucks to the equation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.