Wiki Posts
Search

Medium-priced hotel in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
Medium-priced hotel in San Francisco

I will stay before christmas for 4 nights over the weekend in SFO. Maybe one or two other friends will join me for two nights.

The purpose of my trip is solely touristical. I'll arrive at SFO and will leave again from there. Thus, the hotel should be near to the touristical interesting locations some nightlife.

My first idea is to book via hotwire a 3-star hotel in the area 'Civic Center South' for the whole period? It prices out at $67 per night.

However, I'm not sure, if the location is ok for my purpose and if the price/booking machine is good!

Any input is highly appreciated.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:23 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I would be leery of the "civic center south" area of hotwire since it includes the area south of market street which can be quite desolate at night. A better choice would be either the Union Square West or Union Square East zones albeit at a slightly higher cost.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:45 am
In memoriam

I agree. Civic Center South could be problematic.

One word for you. Priceline!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:56 am
Original Poster

peteropny & biggestbopper, thanks for your replies!
'You get what you pay for' seem to be true one more time...

I'm not familiar with priceline, thus I wanted to avoid it. However, it seems that I have to get used to it.

Priceline offers the following areas:
Cathedral Hill
Civic Center Area
Fisherman's Wharf
Union Square East - Embarcadero
Union Square West
What do you recommened?

I'm looking for a hotel in the category of Hampton Inn. I guess this is 2,5 or 3 stars, isn't it? What price is appropiate price for 3 stars?

How about three people in one room?

Can you give me some priceline-newbie-assistance or Is there any good site about priceline?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by bau31888
How about three people in one room?

Can you give me some priceline-newbie-assistance or Is there any good site about priceline?
PL only guarantees double occupancy, and that could mean one bed. If you need a room/bedding for 3, you do take some risk.

There are 2 sites that cover priceline bidding:

http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding
http://www.betterbidding.com/

One section that you should read up on, as it will apply in San Francisco, is "free rebid zones".
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

So, now I have booked a room via priceline and with the assistance of biddingfortravel.

70 USD for the Hyatt Regency San Francisco per night. I hope the hotel will be nice! Any comments?

Thanks again for your advices!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is this the one at Embarcadero Center at California and Market Street? During the daytime it will be pretty busy around there, though not much around there at night. You could easily walk up to North Beach in about 15 minutes, or to Union Square/Chinatown, and if coming in from SFO, BART stops right outside (Embarcadero Station). The California Street cable car line stops right outside, also. It's been a few years since I've stayed there to be able to comment about the rooms and amenities.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
So, now I have booked a room via priceline and with the assistance of biddingfortravel.

70 USD for the Hyatt Regency San Francisco per night. I hope the hotel will be nice! Any comments?

If you were willing to pay $67 for "Civic Center South", this hotel is worth 3x the price. While it isn't the "perfect location", it is very good. You have the Ferry Building right across the street as well as all of Embarcadero Center (limited shopping/dining), easy walking to North Beach and the Wharf, easy walking to Union Square, and most of the public transit begins/ends, or has major stops in the area.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Without question, this is an EXCELLENT winning bid on Priceline.

The hotel is modern, has every feature and amenity you desire. It is significantly above the categroy of Hampton Inn.

Since you are staying over a weekend, do make plans to walk across the street to the Ferry Building and take advantage of everything for sale in the markets.

A short ride on the "F" line will take you to Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 - two of our biggest tourist destinations. Your hotel concierge can direct you.

Ride the Cable Car up California Street and hang out taking photos - but be careful when cars/trucks pass nearby - you can lose a limb!

A taxi ride to North Beach for a meal will be a nice treat.

A walk to Union Square for shopping, especially around the holiday season, can fill an entire day.

You've planned well and should have a GREAT time. Let us know how things work out for you after your trip.

One last thought - DO take BART from SFO to the Embarcadero station. It is fast, cheap, and puts you right at the door to your hotel, you can't do better for the money.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:17 am

Programs: WN CP
I stayed at the Hyatt Regency SF via Priceline over Thanksgiving weekend. I can't say enough good things about the property. A solid four-star in my opinion. The customer service was fantastic. Location can't be beat with respect to transportation access.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott

This is a very well known hotel - the "original" giant atrium design that goes almost to the roof and elevators that let you see into the atrium as you go up. It's been used for many movies. I'm sure you'll recognize it the minute you walk in.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by JerryFF
It's been used for many movies. I'm sure you'll recognize it the minute you walk in.
If you like Mel Brooks comedies, rent "High Anxiety" before your trip - it's very funny and many scenes were filmed in the hotel.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
It's been several years, but I though the Hyatt Regency SF was around Union Square and the Hyatt (Regency?) Embarcadero was the one near the Ferry Building. Most of the responses seem to be discussing the one at Embarcadero (better view, but a little less convenient to nightlife as others have mentioned). When I worked in SF, I had a colleague who had some confusion between the two, asking the travel agent to booked her in one but actually getting booked into the other.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TRRed
It's been several years, but I though the Hyatt Regency SF was around Union Square and the Hyatt (Regency?) Embarcadero was the one near the Ferry Building.
Naw, the Union Square location was never a Hyatt Regency - it was a Hyatt, later changed to Grand Hyatt.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
A taxi ride to North Beach for a meal will be a nice treat.
Taxi? It's only a 10-15 minute walk (as is Chinatown).

To the OP - if you're interested in getting together for lunch, I work across the street from your hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.