Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel in Carmel, CA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Hotel in Carmel, CA

I am taking my girlfriend on a long weekend over her birthday to do the coastal drive from San Fran through the Big Sur. We plan on spending an evening in Carmel. Any suggestions on a 4+ star resort or B&B to rejuvenate?
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The truly luxurious resorts are outside of Carmel (20 miles away, in Big Sur). The best is http://www.postranchinn.com/ but I'm rather fond of Ventana (which used to be the best, but has gone downhill a lot in the past 10 years).

Within Carmel the best is probably the Highlands Inn (which is now a Park Hyatt, fwiw); however this is quite a step down from Post Ranch.

As for B&B, there are tons to pick from (and often more expensive than hotels), my favourite is the Tickle Pink Inn (as much for the name as anything, it used to be the estate of Senator Tickle -- and the original Senator's Cottage is the accomodation to get). A neat (and historic) part of the California coast.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:46 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I usually chose Pacific Grove for B&Bs. The Green Gables is nice, if a little too frou-frou, and on the ocean. The nearby Martine Inn is another you might want to consider. It also has a great setting on the ocean. These will run you $150 a night or so, Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur is lovely is you're looking to spend about $650 a night for a non-ocean view and about twice that for a view of the water.

http://www.greengablesinnpg.com/
http://www.martineinn.com/
Old Jul 15, 2006, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by number_6
...Within Carmel the best is probably the Highlands Inn (which is now a Park Hyatt, fwiw); however this is quite a step down from Post Ranch....
This is a very nice place. I think it would be ideal, given the OP's specs.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by letiole
I usually chose Pacific Grove for B&Bs. The Green Gables is nice, if a little too frou-frou, and on the ocean. The nearby Martine Inn is another you might want to consider. It also has a great setting on the ocean. These will run you $150 a night or so, Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur is lovely is you're looking to spend about $650 a night for a non-ocean view and about twice that for a view of the water.

http://www.greengablesinnpg.com/
http://www.martineinn.com/
We stayed at Martine Inn last month; US$209/night inc canapes/wine at night & breakfast. Recommend the "Rolled Oak" room which has a nice view of the courtyard; there are sitting rooms facing the ocean as well so you're not missing out on the view completely. We drove to Carmel the next morning, before heading back to Sonoma (long day!!) - but, point is it's only 20mins from Pacific Grove. Stunning area!

Cheers.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:19 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
This is a very nice place. I think it would be ideal, given the OP's specs.
Our last stay at the Park Hyatt Carmel (Highlands Inn) was a virtual catastrophe in almost every possible way. Opinions on this place are HUGELY mixed -- our first stay there was great, for example. Do a search on the Hyatt forum before booking.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I've always wanted to stay at the Cypress Inn in Carmel...Doris Day's place. Based on their website, it seems very pricey (at least for a deluxe king room). But it's not that far from the white sand beach.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, WN Companion Pass
Recently spent a few days at the Quail Lodge in Carmel Valley (but only about 3 miles in, so very close to Carmel) and it was lovely. Nothing super-over the top, but clearly a 4-star resort and very romantic. Great if you love to golf too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.