SFO arrivals / departures from UK on BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)

I will shortly be flying BA into SFO (J) and back (F) for the first time. Any tips or tricks in relation to immigration queues, cost effective airport transfers by taxi/limo, check-in procedures, lounges etc ?

Is it cheaper to transfer from SFO by limo or taxi ? The limo fares appear resonable at first sight, but there seem to be so many charges to add on that it all but doubles the the real cost ...

Are taxis fixed price as at JFK or metered and what would the cost be for 3 pax plus luggage up to Nob Hill ?

I would like to find a well priced and reliable limo service to / from SFO to the Fairmont, which I might then use during our stay for some touring outside San Francisco. Is there any scope to negotiate prices, or is that a lost cause ?

Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Feb 25, 2005 at 5:26 am
Old Feb 25, 2005, 5:49 am

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
I can help with only some points.

Immigration queue - SFO opened their new international terminal in the past 5 years, for the most part immigration is a breeze compared to the old SFO and certainly compared with LHR. It is not uncommon to be through immigration within 5 minutes of joining the queue. The worst report I've heard is about 30 minutes.

Check in is similarly easy, there is no shortage of counter space, plenty of space for all carriers. You recognize the obvious - BA has only a flight or two each day - everybody wants to arrive 90 minutes prior to flight creating stress for themselves. It's amazing how much easier your life can be being just 30 minutes earlier!

Taxis are metered, cost into the city will run ~ $30 and will vary depending on traffic. Limo companies, and there are many, will typically have a flat rate nominally doubled a metered taxi. Star limosine is a local company which has never left me waiting at arrival. If you want limo service definitely do reserve in advance as the limo services operating in the arrivals hall are 50 - 100% more expensive.

There really is no need for either a taxi of a limo into the city as BART has finally reached SFO. Within the airport there is a free train service "AirTrain" which connects the various terminals. You can take this service to the station "Terminal G - BART station" from which you can directly connect to BART into San Francisco. Money wise though you'll probably spend the same taking 3 people on Bart and getting a short cab ride to your final destination as you would on a taxi from the airport directly.

I know nothing about BA lounge facillities at sfo. Loyal UA flyer here.

Hope I helped a little.

Aloha

Lihu'e 1k
Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:26 pm

I am, of course, thrilled that BART has finally reached SFO. Though it pains me to say it, I cannot recommend BART as a solution to the OP's question.

BART will not get you very close to Nob Hill and while you might be able to flag a cab at one of the city BART stations, this would not be a very convenient or pleasant introduction to the city. I would second lihue1k's suggestion that a cab to your hotel from SFO is the way to go.

As for touring outside the city (Marin?, Napa?, Palo Alto?) I would imagine that renting a car would be both less expensive and more flexible than a limo unless you are on a truly unlimited budget.

I hope you enjoy your stay.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Yes there is a BA Terraces lounge in the International Terminal. I'm pretty sure you can't use it on arrival (usually Customs officers greet you once you step off the jetway), but it's available for All Silver and Gold British Airways Executive Club members and all British Airways FIRST and Club World passengers, and is open from 1pm till the last flight out. Hope that helps. Enjoy SF!
Old Feb 28, 2005, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Lounge access is only for departures - your arriving flight goes through a sterile hallway until you reach the pearly gates of hell. (I've never arrived as a non-US citizen, but it looks better than many US airports.)

Take a cab. It will probably be around $40. That's only about 2 and a half quid right now. Almost like free. BART for 3 will be $15 or so plus a cab up the hill.

I highly recommend a car rental for the touring outside of SF proper (unless is not an issue, or you really don't want to drive on the right side of the street).
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
If you want to be more frugal than a taxi, you could consider one of the door-to-door van services. Check out SuperShuttle for details on one of the services.

I know SuperShuttle services the SFO domestic terminals; I think they service the International Terminal as well.

I believe the SFO to Nob Hill prices are about $14 for the first person + $8 for each additional person in your group.

Note that door-to-door van services are fundamentally a no-reservations, shared-ride operations.

All that said, a taxi is probably your least hassle option.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
If you're flying J and F and staying at the Fairmont, you would probably not find the cost savings of using Supershuttle or a similar shared-ride service to justify the time lost while dropping off other passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.