Search

6 Hrs in SFO - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite
6 Hrs in SFO - What to do?

Hi,

Wife and I have a 6 hr layover after LHR flight awaiting ANZ to AKL. I am wanting to freshen up and shower, but see that the SQ lounge is shut while we are there and RCC does not have showers (?).

Looking on the Airport web site they mention public showers in the International Terminal - has anyone experience of those - are they safe?

We have to wait around the terminal to try to use some *A upgrade vouchers for the flight to AKL........so any good bars or a must to-do to kill a few hours while we wait for the ANZ desk to open? Of course we will then go through to the RCC to kill the last 2 hours before the flight.

Thanks for any advice
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA1K
I've used those showers before, in the International Terminal. It's fine: water, soap, a nice little room, etc. etc. It's not fancy, but it's clean and safe. As I recall, I was heading overseas and needed a haircut, and decided to go for a shower to clean up afterwards. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1P
The bars at SFO suck! The wine selection is red or white and overall, it seems to me that they rented out those establishments to people who have no clue about international traveller whatsoever. Bartenders have no problem serving overpriced cognac in whisky glasses etc.
Please please if someone knows about good bar at SFO I-terminal let us know.

As far as killing the time goes, the terminal is now connected with downtown San Francisco via BART - which is our flavor of tube. I belive it can take you to the Market Street in about 35-40 minutes. You (and your wife) may want to take advantage of some pre-holiday sales there (not to mention the dollar is weak these days) But again, it depends how much time do you have before the ANZ desk opens.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Hotel rooms are dirt cheap at SFO on Priceline. I often do this on 5+ hour layovers. You are not "supposed" to use them for day use, but just check out- leave the 'make up room' doo daah on door handle, and thats the last you'll ever hear about it.

I paid $40 IIRC for Doubletree a couple weeks back on PL.

Me - for 6 hours, I'd get the bags all checked thru to NZ, and BP issued, and take the free bus with a change of clothes to DT for a relaxing shower, and a few hours nap after your long flight. Or wander around Burlingame where that hotel is, and all the shopping/bars/restaurants there.

Worth a LOT more than $40 IMHO.

The BART connection now runs from airport I understand, so if you have time, visit downtown.

Last edited by ozstamps; Dec 2, 2004 at 12:21 am
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:23 am

time in SFO

I'd take the BART down town, ride the cable car from Union Square to Fisherman's wharf, have a walk around, stop for a coffee and go back to the airport. Plenty of time for that...
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:25 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since this is really not UA-specific, am moving to the SFO forum

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Your options:

(1) Hang out at airport, check out boring/museum library at international terminal (outside security) or hang out in rather pathetic terminals with poor food selection (more on this topic in the AA and UA forums).

(2) If you are a sushi fan, taxi to 3rd Street in San Mateo. There is also a park nearby with a mini-Japanese tea garden (Central Park off 5th St).

(3) BART to downtown SFO where you will have numerous food, drink, shopping and entertainment choices (aprrox $5 + 35 min travel time + waiting time).

Personally I think option 3 is the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.