Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Dinner in SF?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Christmas Dinner in SF?

My husband and I will be in SFO from Dec 23-26. It's his first visit, and I haven't been there in years. I'm concerned about restaurants being closed for the holiday. Will this be a problem?

We're staying in Nob Hill. Do you have any suggestions for us? We prefer simple dining...small local restaurants are our choice when we can find them.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:14 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This goes totally counter to your request, but if you want the pig-out experience of a lifetime in the most remarkable dining room in SF, consider going to one of the Christmas brunch buffets at the Palm Court at the Sheraton Palace. It's a ways from Nob Hill, but all downhill on the way -- and on the way back, you'll definitely be so full, you'll take a taxi.

Even if you don't eat there, go take a look at the room (and the amazing buffet set up in the room next door).
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by sibley
My husband and I will be in SFO from Dec 23-26. It's his first visit, and I haven't been there in years. I'm concerned about restaurants being closed for the holiday. Will this be a problem?

We're staying in Nob Hill. Do you have any suggestions for us? We prefer simple dining...small local restaurants are our choice when we can find them.
Some might be closed, so do some checking ahead of time. S.F. is packed with great restaurants, so you should have no trouble finding some open ones you will like.

By the way, I think XMAS and New Years are great holidays for visiting S.F. I've not seen the data, but it seems to me that there are few tourists here then.

Edited to add useful link: http://www.sfgate.com/food/

Last edited by dhuey; Oct 17, 2004 at 11:27 am
Old Oct 17, 2004, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey
By the way, I think XMAS and New Years are great holidays for visiting S.F. I've not seen the data, but it seems to me that there are few tourists here then.
Yes, that was part of the plan as well.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
the Palm Court at the Sheraton Palace.
Garden Court
http://www.gardencourt-restaurant.com/

There's a Palm Court at the Plaza Hotel in NY.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 3:35 pm

One good resource which I use for finding restaurants and making reservations is opentable.com. It's free and provides an extensive list of restaurants (with descriptions) and available times for reservations. Although not ever restaurant participates, it does have a very good selection and will show you only those restaurants which will be open on a holiday.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 3:51 pm

Yep, opentable.com is very useful. It's a rare Bubble-era dot-com survivor.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 6:26 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
sibley, if you have some cuisine preferences (seafood, Italian, etc.), perhaps we could suggest some in the area that will be open. As others have suggested, the hotel restaurants generally will have buffets and special menus for the holidays but will be open. Some of the special independent restaurants may be closed Xmas, such as Italian or seafood restaurants. On the other hand, some small ethnic restaurants may be open.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 1:40 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by francophile
Garden Court
http://www.gardencourt-restaurant.com/

There's a Palm Court at the Plaza Hotel in NY.
Whoops, sorry, the Garden Court, thanks for the correction -- I would NEVER recommend the Palm Court at the Plaza in NYC to anyone for any reason!
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I would NEVER recommend the Palm Court at the Plaza in NYC to anyone for any reason!
I agree. There are so many other nice places in Manhattan that offer better service and better value.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
sibley, if you have some cuisine preferences (seafood, Italian, etc.), perhaps we could suggest some in the area that will be open. As others have suggested, the hotel restaurants generally will have buffets and special menus for the holidays but will be open. Some of the special independent restaurants may be closed Xmas, such as Italian or seafood restaurants. On the other hand, some small ethnic restaurants may be open.
Italian or Chinese would be great. As for seafood, my husband loves it, but I am deathly allergic...so a seafood place that serves other things as well (and can be trusted not to cross-contaminate my meal) would be fine.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:01 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
sibley, am in SEA and YVR now but when I get back next week will be pleased to suggest some choices as I know will the SF experts on this forum.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
sibley, am in SEA and YVR now but when I get back next week will be pleased to suggest some choices as I know will the SF experts on this forum.
Thank you, Ocn Vw 1K. Looking forward to your suggestions!
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:58 am

You can find great Italian restaurants in SF, but then again, you can find them everywhere. I suggest some Asian restaurants that are not easy to dupicate outside of SF.

For fine dining Thai cuisine: Khan Toke,
http://www.sanfranciscovisitor.com/khantoke.htm

For spicy Hunan Chinese, Henry's Hunan
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...an_francisco-i

For excellent dim sum, Yank Sing,
http://www.yanksing.com/

By the way, although North Beach pretends to be a real Italian neighborhood, it isn't (it was once, but no longer). You'll find scores of very average but overpriced restaurants there. Chinatown is touristy (heck, you can say that about most of SF), but very genuine and culturally rich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.