Great Breakfast in Berkeley

Rick & Ann's (Berkeley, CA)

2922 Domingo Ave.
Berkeley CA. 94705
510-649-8538

Hours:

Breakfast/Lunch (Daily) 8:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner (Tues-Sun) 5:30pm - 9:30pm

Located right across fromn the tennis courts of the Claremont Hotel, they do Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. I have however only ever thought of this place as a great breakfast spot. Very Berkeley and reasonably priced. Their menu is online here. Make reservations and then be prepared to spend a casual breakfast time enjoying food cooked with care ad served in decent portions.

The two things that stand out in my mind there are simply side dishes but make the meal for me. These are the spicy turkey sausage and red flannel hash.

Save time for a slow cup of coffee at Peet’s next door when you are done and enjoy my home town.

------------------
FT picture page (hosted by markbach)
My Starbucks City Mug Collection Page
NYC Football Bet Payoff Mini-Do
Old Jan 25, 2003, 7:35 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Dinner's pretty good, too. Some Eastbay friends took me there. They seriously recommended the pork chops and sweet potato side dish. They were right. The portions were large enough, that I never made it to dessert. Good post.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:23 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Berkeley has several places that are local hangouts for breakfast. Another is:
Bette's Oceanview Diner
1807 4th St
Berkeley, CA 94710-1910
Phone: (510) 644-3230
http://bayarea.citysearch.com/profile/1034084/

They do many things well and the staff is pleasant and friendly, especially to families with children they see regularly.

I like the souffles, but my physician doesn't, so I get the french toast with yogurt and fruit. Good coffee drinks, too, but that's a base line for any restaurant with local appeal in Berkeley where coffee is strong and politics are weak (or something such slogan).
Rich
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:29 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Another Berkeley breakfast hangout is actually located in neighboring Kensington.
Inn Kensington
293 Arlington Ave
Kensington, CA 94707-1401
Phone: (510) 527-5919
http://bayarea.citysearch.com/profile/1032433/

They do dinners, too, but this mini-review focuses only on breakfast, especially Sunday breakfast. Usually packed out with locals: singles, couples, families.

There are a variety of american breakfasts with the usual bread variants. However, what I like are the wild rice waffles with fruit, which are occasionally available. More regularly on the menu is the french toast challah with fruit.

Quite reasonable in cost. No credit cards.
Rich
Old Aug 26, 2003, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Kenji and I had breakfast at Bette's last Saturday.

This place is on 4th street centered right in the middle of several blocks of 'cool' shops.

Bette's is a small, 50's looking coffee shop right out of the movies.

I had blueberry pancakes (not to die for); and Kenji had eggs (nicely presented). After seeing someone enjoying the Bette's special pancake, I realized I made a mistake by not ordering it. The special (German?) was baked and had loads of fruit on top.

BTW, they do takeout. The muffins looked great.

Would I go back? No. I'd go to Miss Millie's on 24th Street in the Noe Valley in San Francisco.

I can confirm that this small breakfast place has good granola and delicious banana cover baquette french toast.

For those out of towners, both places have stores surrounding it. The Noe Valley is a little more authentic.

Dan
Old Oct 7, 2003, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Bumped, for the man in Chicago.

Old Oct 11, 2003, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Well, personally Im not that much of a fan of granola. So I would recommend Bette's. I thought it was a wonderful breakfast. Heck, just thinking about it makes me want to do a mileage run

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.