Wiki Posts
Search

Scoma's!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2004, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Scoma's!

I don't know how I've managed to avoid this place for so long. Great food! Great Staff!
Old Feb 2, 2004, 9:52 am

I agree. And at the right table, there is a nice view of the bay. The seafood is prepared simply but well.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
I could not agree more! It took me 25 years of living in the area before I discovered it (it is a little hard to find, tucked away off the main drag on its own little pier). Now it is my absolute favorite restaurant at Fisherman's Wharf and one of my top five in the City. My husband and I have a standing date every Jan./Feb. to go there for their crab sandwiches while Dungeness crab is in season. Wonderful!

[This message has been edited by Jassy-50 (edited Feb 03, 2004).]
Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This is good to hear. It has been one of those places, in my 19 years in the Bay Area, that I figured was just too much on the tourist path, and probably catered to their palate (no personal offense to our favorite visitors....) I will have to definitely check it out sometime soon. And to the local critics, how would you rate prices with respect to the food quality and service, and wine list/pricing?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm sure others can provide you with better opinions than mine, based on my single visit so far.

The food was first rate, one of the best lobster I've had outside of Belize. The filet was cooked perfectly to order. ms. birdstrike ordered the crabcakes and declared them to be excellent. Prices are a bit on the high side, but not out of range for the location and quality.

Scoma's website has the menu, prices, and wine list:

http://www.scomas.com/home.htm

Valet parking is free.

Reservations are -not- taken. First come, first served.

and...

SCOMA'S WILD WINE FEBRUARY

50% off ANY bottle of wine under $100 on our list on Wednesdays*.

On Tuesdays we will waive the corkage fee on any bottle you bring in.
*One discounted bottle per full priced adult entree purchased excluding pre-fixe or group menus. Dine in only. Mention the SF Weekly ad before ordering.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
We usually go for lunch. In addition to the regular menu, they have various sandwiches at lunch, such as fresh crab sand., fresh shrimp sand., hamburger, a few others. I always have the crab (in season) - it is served open-faced on thick slices of sourdough French bread with a little mayo (just a whisper) and fries and a small salad on the side, for $14.95. It's a good amount of crab and very fresh. Did not pay much attention to the wine list, but they have several wines by the glass and we had a very nice pinot gris (sorry, I forgot the price - about normal, I think, for an upscale restaurant).

As mentioned above, they do not take reservations and so it can be packed, on weekends especially. But worth the wait, in my opinion.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never eaten there because, like many locals, I avoid Fisherman's Wharf. Also from the South Bay, it's difficult to drive past Tadich's (M-Sat) or Sam's (M-F)!

Now I guess I gotta try it, since after all, 50,000,000 FTers can't be wrong....
Old Feb 5, 2004, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardInSF:
Never eaten there because, like many locals, I avoid Fisherman's Wharf.</font>
Same here, when I lived in the East Bay and in Marin. But back then, I was told that Scoma's used mostly fresh (rather than frozen) fish and was the best option for visitors who wanted the Wharf experience (I used to go to Hayes Street Grill in the City - is it still there)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.